Motley

Killer Croc

Motley grows quickly. He talks less now, which almost makes the Joker sad. Almost. He’s becoming a good shot, even better with knives. He’s killed several men already, clean and easy. He still sleeps with Harley’s blanket, and he still cries for her sometimes.
Joker’s started taking him out on jobs, teaching the kid how to break locks, watching as he stares at a fight with wide, excited eyes. Watching as he fights with his father’s ferocity and Harley’s grace. Joker thinks, to himself, that Motley is perfect, his perfect child.
+
Motley sits on the sill of an open window, legs dangling. They’re in another tall building, the people like ants below him. He carves his name into the wood and hums. J’s on one of the jobs he can’t bring Motley to, so he left him behind.
He doesn’t need a guardian anymore. He knows not to touch anything important. Leen’s blanket is a little tight around Motley’s shoulders now, but he doesn’t mind. He plays with the knife J gave him when Leen left, the first knife of many. Motley keeps his knives clean, which pleases J. Motley can see where J is, a large building a couple blocks away that’s now on fire. It’s pretty, and Motley smiles to himself. J will be home soon, covered in soot and grinning. Everything will be good.
+
Joker crashes through the door, throwing his arms wide.
“Motley! I’m back, kiddo!” Motley pushes off the window sill and runs to him, smiling big. Joker wipes blood from his hands and ruffles the kid’s hair. “Did you eat yet?” Motley shakes his head no, so Joker grabs a few pieces of nearly stale pizza and splits them up. “Let’s eat, then.”
Motley chews happily, blond hair falling in his eyes. He’ll need to get it cut soon. It’s been a long day for both of them. Joker robbed a bank and fought Bat Brain for a while. It was a good fight, but he’s tired.
Motley was up with nightmares all last night, whispering Harley’s name in his sleep. There are dark circles under his eyes.
“We’ll sleep after this, Mot.”
The kid nods slowly, eyelids already drooping. “Kay.”
+
Motley heads straight to the bathtub after they get ready for bed, curls up with Leen’s blanket. He could hear her voice in his nightmares, high and jeering, and Motley’s a big kid now but he’s scared anyway. J joins him eventually.
The tub’s big enough for the both of them, so J curls his long legs against his chest and grins wide at Motley, leans his head back. J’s smile is bigger than anyone else’s and it makes Motley happy. He pushes his toes against J’s leg and tries to sleep.
+++
Motley disappears two days later. Joker leaves for a job, comes back and the kid’s gone. Harley’s blanket and his knives are gone, too. Joker feels fear clutch at his throat, life without Motley suddenly as bleak as life without Batman. He twists his knife through his fingers, trying to whistle cheerfully.
“Men, find the kid or I’ll start, ha, killing,” he barks, eyes narrowed dangerously.
They scurry off, leaving Joker alone. He crawls into the bathtub out of habit, unconsciously comforting himself. He keeps thinking of Motley, trapped somewhere, hurt, kidnapped by some pervert who thinks he’s a normal kid, exposed to the million horrible things a city like Gotham can do to a little boy.
At this point, Batman having him would be the best case scenario. With Batman, at least, he’d be safe. Joker makes a low sound in his chest and growls, then forces himself to laugh until his throat goes hoarse.
+
Motley is alone and lost. He didn’t mean to disobey J. He got bored, and something flashed in the sewer in the street below, so he followed it. The sewer grate was easy enough to lift from above, but he couldn’t get it open once he was inside. He chews on his lip and looks up at the sky, which is getting darker. J will be angry. Motley tightens his grip on his knife and heads into the sewer tunnels.
+
He walks for about an hour, hearing the tunnels groaning, water dripping. J wouldn’t be scared, so Motley won’t be scared, either. He turns when he hears something heavy shuffling towards him.
“Hi?” he tries out, peering into the gloom. Something sniffs at him, blinking large yellow eyes.
“You smell like the clown, human. What are you doing down here, smelling like that?” Motley shrugs, leaning closer to the eyes.

“I dunno. Are you a monster? J says the monster won’t get me if I’m good with knives.” He grins cockily. “And I’m pretty good with knives.”
The voice makes a rumbling, happy sound. It’s laughing. “I like you, human, even if you do smell of the clown. What is your name?”
“Motley. What’s your name?”
“I suppose you may call me Jones.”
“Hi, Jones!”
Something large and damp scoops him up. “Sit on my shoulder, child. I will return you to your father.”
Motley searches around until he grabs a hold of a spike, keeping himself steady. “Thanks, Jones.” The thing nods its head. It’s only a little while before the monster and Motley push their heads through a grate. It’s dark out.
“Where’s your father, Motley?”
Motley describes the last base he remembers, and it’s not long before they’re standing in front of the wide building he left a few hours ago.
“Here.” Jones reaches out a hand and knocks.
+
Joker is still in the bathtub, cackling softly. His fingers are twitching, wrapped in his jacket. He’s never felt this before, this fear. He wonders if this is what Scarecrow’s toxins do to people.
There’s a knock at his door, and a nervous, “Boss? Croc’s here.”
“Tell him to stick a fist up his, ha, big scaly ass,” Joker mutters.
“Boss, you need to see this.” Joker grumbles to himself, hand slipping to his knife. Someone’s going to die for this. Joker throws open the main doors, coming face to face with Croc’s massive chest. He looks up, and up, into Motley’s green eyes and feels his heart stutter. Motley is fine, grinning and pleased with his adventure, Harley’s blanket still around his shoulders.
“Hi, J! Jones brought me home!”
Croc takes Motley in the palm of his hand and gives him to Joker, gentle. There’s something strange in his eyes.
“I found the boy in my sewers, clown. You are fortunate he was unharmed.”
“Yeah, ha, thanks, ah...kids, always scampering off, eh?” He tries to laugh it off, but Croc just shrugs, turning away. He’s gone before Joker’s finished speaking. Motley waves anyway.

Motley’s happy to be back with J. Jones was nice, but he’s not Motley’s dad. As soon as they’re alone J is hugging him close, breath ruffling his hair. Motley grins, pleased by the unexpected attention.
“Don’t leave again, Mot. I won’t, uh, be happy if you do,” J warns, but his hands are gentle. Motley just smiles and nods.