Motley

Noted

Two hours pass before someone finds him. The boy is awake and shivering by then, crying softly for his mother. She had taught him to be quiet at all times. He hasn’t screamed since he was tiny, and he prides himself on his silence.
The boy doesn’t have a name, because she never cared enough to give him one. He is slightly malnourished, with bruises on his face. She beat him sometimes, when the remaining madness returned.

The boy jumps and spins when the door behind him opens. “Leen?” That is the only name he was ever allowed to call her. She beat him the first time he called her ‘mama’.

“The fuck?” It’s a henchman, a guy named Ernie. He has nieces and nephews of his own, and a soft spot for kids.“Hey, little guy. How’d you get here?” The boy looks up at him with big green eyes that are strangely familiar.

He brushes blonde hair out of his face and gives a smile that’s just a tad too big. “Leen?” Ernie pauses when he sees the kid is wrapped in a diamond patterned blanket. It’s black and red.

There’s a note pinned to it that reads, “HARLEY”. The kid slips his tiny, cold hand into Ernie’s. His fingers are blue. Ernie sighs and picks the kid up. “The boss is gonna be so mad about this.”