Motley

Jason Todd

Motley meets the new Robin on a Saturday night. He’s in J’s arms, and they’re running, J cursing under his breath, words that Motley keeps in his memory to use later. He stays quiet though, knowing they’re in danger. Batman is on the hunt.
J drops Motley near a closet and tells him to hide, his eyes briefly concerned before he runs away cackling. Motley darts inside and huddles in the corner of the closet, farthest away from the door. He can hear the heavy thump of Batman’s footsteps, then a lighter patter of feet that run past him, stop, and come back.
Motley looks up at the green mask around Robin’s eyes and pulls his knife out, glaring. “Fuck off, fucker!”
Robin laughs and crouches and he’s really not that much bigger than Motley. He brushes dark hair from his eyes before holding both hands out.
“Calm down, kiddo. I’m not gonna fuck with you. B-man ordered a hands off. Doesn’t want Dickie-bird taking a bullet to the brain.” He grins and stands quickly, peering down the hallway. Motley slides his knife away, sensing that there’s no danger here, though he can hear the distant sound of fighting. Robin rests his hands on his hips and rocks back on his heels, watching Motley. “How old are you, anyway?”
“Six.”
“You really Joker’s kid? Cause I can see it, but I kinda thought he was too fucked up to knock someone up, and that Harley chick was crazy…”He yelps when Motley lunges at him, knife narrowly missing his stomach. “Whoa, kid, I’m sorry, Jesus,” he hisses, holding Motley at bay with one hand.
The Joker’s cackle is coming closer, and someone’s screaming. Motley goes very still, staring at Robin. “Fuck you,” he mutters as Robin sighs and lets him go.
“Look, I’m sorry. I gotta bounce,” Robin says, and he’s off down the hallway in a flash, followed by Batman, whose cape is on fire, and then Joker, who skids to a stop, scoops Motley up, and runs in the opposite direction. They’re both laughing, and Motley doesn’t tell J about Robin.