Motley

Todd

Joker’s got Motley sitting in front of him. He’s playing with his knives, blond hair splattered red. He needs to be further away when he shoots people in the head, but other than that, he’s the perfect killer.
Vicious and merciless and fast. With his angel face, people will never expect it. Joker’s proud. He might be about to say so when Robin drops out of the ceiling, landing easily on his toes.
Joker grabs the closest weapon, a crowbar. “Wait! I come in peace!” the kid yells, holding his hands up. Joker puts the knife down, tells Motley to settle. Having him around is like having a rabid dog sometimes. It’s great.
“What, ha, do you want?” He relaxes back into his chair. There’s no Batman, emerging from the shadows like the goddamn beautiful nightmare he is. “Are you here, ha, alone? Should I be insulted?”

The kid looks calm, but there are fine tremors running through his hands. “Nah. No Batman. Not anymore.”

“You here for the kid, then? I, ah, saw you two are besties,” he sing songs, getting curious. No Batman? How could anyone not want a Batman? Batman is the best, the best the best, besides his kid, maybe. Maybe.

“Yeah, that’s what I’m here for.”

“Too bad, bird boy. He’s mine.”

“You think Batman will really let you keep him? Fuck no. Doesn’t matter how much you threaten Nightwing, the kid’s gone as soon as the Bat can take him. He’ll keep him hidden somewhere and Batman will rest assured that he’s righteous and good.” Robin steps a little closer. “You’ll never see him again.”

Joker grins and examines his fingernails. “And if you take him?”

“We’ll go from city to city. Take care of the scum the real heroes are too weak to kill.” He tenses when Joker laughs. “It’ll work!”
“You’ve got balls, kid.” He hooks the crowbar in his belt, sits back. “Alright. Run away. Take my kid. If he dies, I’ll peel the flesh from your bones and pour acid on you.” Robin swallows and nods. Joker kneels before the kid, cups his chin. It’s still just like looking at Harley. So sweet. If Batman takes him, Joker will have to destroy Gotham, and that’s just annoying. Robin’s a good guy, no matter what he might think. Mot will be safe.
“You’re going with Robin, kid.”

Motley tilts his head. J’s frowning. J never frowns. J can’t frown. It’s one of the best things about him. “J?”
“It’s dangerous, ha, here. You’ll, ah, go with Bird Boy for a while.
“How long?”
“Til I say you can come back, that’s, ha, how fuckin’ long,” J snaps, then pinches his nose. “A long time, okay, Mot?”
“You’re not mad?”
“Nope.”
“Kay.” Motley shrugs and moves to stand next to Robin.
“He gets damaged in a way I don’t approve of, heh, you die.”
“Yeah, okay.”
“Come back to me eventually, kid.” Motley waves to J as they walk out, something in his stomach nervous but excited.