Tis the Season

Liam & Kendall

With her hand gripping the coffee cup in front of her, Kendall brought the warm liquid to her lips, taking a quick sip. Placing the cup back on the table, she turned to Jamie, a sympathetic smile on her face.

“Three hours?” Kendall asked, the words long and drawn out.

“Three hours.” Jamie sighed, giving a quick nod of her head. “Most of the time we just sat there, no music or anything. We did a little bit of talking, mostly about music, but I –“ Jamie let out a long groan, slamming her hand on the table. “It’s tearing me apart, Ken. I don’t know how much more I can take.”

Biting her lip, Kendall looked up at her friend, who had genuine fear in her eyes. Kendall knew Jamie had never really conquered her feelings for Harry, but she couldn’t say anything about it. If Jamie was unwilling to admit it to herself, there was no way she would admit it to her friend.

With a deep breath, Kendall spoke. “I’m no good with relationships, you know that.” Jamie chuckled. “But I remember last year, when I was dating Mark, we were walking back to his flat after dinner. He took a left, and I took a right. I was a few steps down the road when he called to me.” Shaking her head, Kendall laughed. “I had turned to go to Liam’s, not Mark’s. I don’t know what it was, but my body knew I wanted to be with Liam before my head did. That was my realization moment. I knew then that I wouldn’t be happy unless I was with Liam. I may still be hopelessly pining over my best friend, but I’m happier now than I ever was with Mark. You’ll have your realization moment, just like I did. Don’t worry.”

When Kendall finished speaking, Jamie moved her eyes to the table, swirling around her coffee cup. The tips of her fingers pushed it around, and it was clear the movement was an attempt to occupy her mind.

As if on cue, Kendall’s phone buzzed loudly, attracting the attention of both girls. She picked up her phone, which had Liam’s name flashing across the screen. It filled with a text from Liam, announcing that he was off work.

“Well, I guess that’s my cue,” Kendall said, smiling at Jamie. “I’ll see you later.”

Standing up from her seat, Kendall wiped her hands against her shirt, straightening it. Jamie squeezed her into a tight hug, before walking her over to the door.

“Have fun with Li.”

“I’ll try.” Kendall laughed. She stepped out of the coffee shop and began the short walk over to Liam’s flat.

The air was the chilliest it at been since the start of winter. Kendall pulled her arms to her chest, bringing them closer to her warm body. Even though she was wearing her large coat and had a wool sweater wrapped around her neck, she still felt as though she would freeze.

By the time she reached Liam’s flat, Kendall’s nose and cheeks were red with the cold. The short climb up the building’s stairs didn’t do much to bring warmth back to her body, but it did get her blood pumping.

Gun shots rang out from inside Liam’s flat, causing a smile to rise to Kendall’s face. The door was unlocked, and when Kendall opened it, she found Liam lying on his sofa. His hand was wrapped around his Xbox controller, as his fingers toggled the buttons. He had his tongue sticking out in his concentration.

The entire sight caused Kendall to giggle and she skipped quickly over to him. He barely broke his gaze away from the game to say hello.

“How was work?” Kendall asked, pressing her face to Liam’s cheek. He moved his shoulder, successfully shrugging her off of him.

“Quiet,” Liam said, “I only need three more kills.”

When Liam’s on-screen character fell to the ground with a bullet in his head, Liam groaned. Throwing his controller to the ground, he sank back into the sofa in shame.

Kendall couldn’t help but laugh at her friend. He always got so angry when he played Call of Duty. The pout on his lips made the scene even funnier. Despite the anger flooding to his cheeks, his lips turned to a smile.

“Don’t laugh,” Liam said, folding his arms across his chest.

Kendall gave an even louder fake laugh. “You’re such a baby, Li.”

Rolling his eyes, Liam tossed his arm over Kendall’s shoulder. He pulled her quickly towards him, successfully slamming her head against his chest. With his hand tucked into a fist, he rubbed her hair back and forth.

Before she could pull away, the motion had knotted her hair at the top of her head. Kendall hated when he did that with every fiber of her being. The playful motion was another sign of the friendship that ripped Kendall’s heart to shreds.

“Liam!” she shouted. Her voice let out a laugh at the end, as a smile passed her lips.

Shooting her a smirk, Liam chuckled. “Don’t be such a baby.”

Kendall moved her hand to her hair and attempted to fix it. The knot wasn’t too terrible, and she was able to get rid of it with just a few passes of her fingers. She had become a pro at removing the constant knots from her hair.

“If you don’t start being nice to me, I’m not going to stay anymore.”

Liam laughed. “Thank God. It’s about time I got my flat back. It’s starting to smell like girl.”

The smirk on Liam’s face let Kendall in on his joke. As much as he loved the girl, he loved messing with her even more. Luckily for him, she always went along with his jokes.

“Can we watch something normal for once?” Kendall asked. “I think I’ve watched enough 30 Rock reruns to last an entire lifetime.”

Liam grabbed the remote from his coffee table, and switched the television to the first decent thing he could find. After a few channel slips, he stopped on a news broadcast about a local animal shelter shutting down.

Kendall’s face dropped when the screen flashed over the many lonely animals. Luckily, the newscast quickly switched to the weather report, and the pair was graced with the painful reminder no more.

A large woman stood on the screen, with a map of England behind her. The entire country was filled with a red, more angry than Liam’s cheeks.

“It looks like London is about to see its first snowfall of the winter season,” the newscaster said. “We are expecting to get 14 inches by morning, and everyone is encouraged to stay indoors. It’s going to be a doozy out there, folks.”

With a smile on her face, Kendall looked over at Liam. “It looks like I’m going to be staying for a few more days.”

Liam rolled his eyes, feigning his distaste that the girl would be trapped inside his home due to the storm. Despite the never ending roll in his eyes, Liam’s heart leapt with the thought that she would be his for just a few days more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aww, what did you think of Kendall and Jamie's heartfelt chat?? (: