Tis the Season

Louis & Grace

Louis’s fingers intertwined with Grace’s, as they walked across the park, their feet stomping against the snow. It crunched beneath them, the soft sound like music to Louis’s ears. Next to him, Grace was pulling on him with her free arm, in an attempt to use him for balance. Her cheeks were red from being bitten by the cold, and the tip of her nose resembled Rudolph’s.

“We’re almost there,” Louis said, smiling at his beautiful girlfriend.

Chuckling, Grace squeezed Louis’s hand. “I’m freezing.”

Wrapping his arm around Grace’s shoulder, Louis pulled her closer to him, attempting to spread his body heat to her. He pulled his wool hat from the top of his head, and moved it to Grace’s. With a smile on her face, she pulled the hat over her ears, before placing a soft kiss against Louis’s cheek.

Across the park’s small field, Louis spotted the large art gallery on the other side of the field. He and Grace had been there a few times before, when they’d had a new gallery opening. Even though he didn’t understand art, Grace seemed to love it, and best of all, they had just opened a temporary Christmas gallery.

Reaching his free hand to his pants, Louis tapped his fingers against the small black box that was tucked inside his pocket. The thick box nearly jutted out, and he was fearful Grace might see it, so he always kept her to the right side of his body.

“We’re going to the gallery?” Grace asked, beaming up at Louis.

Louis gave a quick nod of his head, while sharing a smile with the girl. “Of course, love. I know how much you adore it.”

“This is going to be great,” Grace said, leaning her head on Louis’s shoulder. “Did you know they have a Christmas gallery? It’s brand new.”

Laughing, Louis shook his head. He pulled the girl closer to him, so her head rested even more perfectly against his shoulder. The top of the wool hat he had placed on her head tickled his cheek, but he didn’t mind as long as Grace was next to him.

The pair’s feet padded against the stairs, as they climbed the small slope up to the gallery. When Louis pulled the door open, the gallery’s heated air blew against their faces, sending chills through Louis’s body.

Wrapping his hand around Grace’s, Louis walked alongside her. She knew much better than he did where they were going, so he didn’t mind her guiding them around. They gave a quick sweep of the gallery’s usual floor, taking a short look at the paintings Grace had seen many times before.

When they reached a threshold decorated with tinsel and brightly colored lights, Louis knew they were hitting the entrance to the Christmas gallery. Grace’s face lit up, and her eyes met Louis’s as she smiled.

The pair walked through the garland gate and were met with fake snowflakes hanging from the ceiling. Powdered snow spread across the ground, making it appear as though they were in a winter wonderland. The room was everything great about Christmas outdoors, without the cold wind and frostbitten lips.

The whole time they walked around the room, Louis kept one hand wrapped around Grace, and the other on top of the small box in his pocket. His hands were getting sweatier by the minute, and he knew it. He only hoped that Grace wouldn’t notice.

“You alright, Lou?” Grace asked. Her gaze was locked on him, and concern was etched on her face.

Shaking his head, Louis smiled down at her. “Yes, of course. Why do you ask?”

“You seem nervous is all.” Grace shrugged, as she admired a painting of a Technicolor Christmas tree.

Louis let out a nervous laugh. “No, just hot I supposed. It’s a little warm in here.”

Smiling up at him, Grace shook her head. “I think it feels wonderful.”

“That’s because you have a normal body temperature that’s lower than a snowman’s.”

Grace glared at him, before letting out a small laugh. Her head fell back against his shoulder, while her hand wrapped more tightly around his.

He was more nervous than he’d ever been, but he couldn’t let her know that. He’d had this planned since his ice skating plan failed miserably. This was one of his last chances to propose before Christmas, and he was determined to make it perfect. They were alone in the gallery, just like he had hoped, and there was nothing that could take the wind from his wings.

It was the perfect time for him to get down on one knee and confess his love to the beautiful girl in front of him. His hand was reaching into his pocket, as his body clenched in fear.

Before he could pull the ring from its place, a group of primary school children paraded into the gallery and headed straight for the Christmas display.

As if they had sucked the wind right out of the room, Louis’s plan crashed right to the floor. His perfect moment was ruined by yelling children and screaming parents. Tiny feet padded across the room as they continued to crush his dream.

Louis supposed he could still propose to Grace, but it would be far from perfect. She’d barely be able to hear him over all the noise. She was sure to be distracted by the children running at their feet. Even though it didn’t really matter how he did it, or where they were, he still thought Grace deserved the best proposal he could give her, and this moment was far from that.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope everyone has enjoyed our Christmas special so far!
There is only one more update until each character gets their Christmas special!
I hope everyone is as excited as I am(: