(Un)Lucky Coincidences

# 7

Sandra's phone rang and she looked at the caller: Rory. She cancelled it.

She was walking around the festival area now for almost an hour. There were at least 15 calls from the gents and she cancelled them all. All she wanted to do, was sort her thoughts somehow, but it was impossible, when she was distracted every other minute.

Her phone rang again. Again Rory. And again she cancelled it. Finally she turned her cell phone off and pocketed it. She was not in the mood to talk to anyone. Even though she wasn't really able to say, if she was mad or disappointed or hurt or all of it.

She got herself a pint of beer, settled down in a quiet corner near the main stage and thought about the last two days: 'How does everything ended up like this? I was so excited to meet Rory again and even to see the others. And when Rory surprised me and invited me to the festival I was one happy girl. But then everything went horribly wrong. I hate to argue and fight and still it was all I was up to since yesterday. Maybe I was just to naive to think it would work?! It felt just right. But obviously it was only drama.' Sandra took a deep breath and sighed, “Maybe it's time to go.”

===

When Sandra came back to her tent, she saw Lydia waiting outside with an understanding smile. “Too much?” She stood while asking and met her friend in a hug.

Sandra shrugged her shoulders, “You know me!” And then sat down in one of the chairs, “And even though I haven't entirely fix my head, I'm just tired.”

Lydia handed her a mug, “Tea?”

Sandra took it with a smile, “Thank you.” She cupped her hands around it and let the warmth creep into her hands and arms.

“The others went to sleep after searching for you about two hours.” Lydia chuckled, “It was really hard to actually convince them, that you'll come back on your own and that they don't need to worry.”

Sandra nodded, “Thank you.” Then she looked around, “Where did Rory go to? Is he still sleeping in my tent?”

“Yeah. After I talked to him more then one hour. He's really concerned.” Lydia gave Sandra a look that said 'Go talk to him. He deserves an explonation.'

“Well. You know the worst thing?” Sandra paused to take a sip of her tea, “I was so excited to meet Rory again. And even more happy, when he picked us up in Amsterdam. ... But everything went wrong here.” She took another sip. “I ended up fighting – for Rory – against Chris – and with Rou. And I hate to fight. I'm sick of it. So sick of it all!” She looked sideway to Lydia, “I even thought that I was dumb to think there was a possibility to make it work with Rory. Maybe it is just a bad idea.” She stared into her mug and her expression turned sad.

“But it's not!” A bright smile played Lydia's lips, “You really like him and don't you dare to give up so easily. You told him about last summer. That is hugh! I mean, noone knows besides you and me.”

“I had to!” Sandra snapped, “That doesn't count.”

Lydia pointed her finger to Sandra, “Oh, it does! You didn't had to. Telling that Chris 'attacked' you would've been enough. But you told him about Brain and how he tried to rape you!”

With eyes wide open and a shocked face Sandra looked at her friend, “Stop it! I don't want this pictures back in my mind. It took me so long to erase them.”

Lydia walked over and kneed in front of Sandra's chair, “Sweety, I know it hurts, but you can't keep running away.” She cupped her hands around hers, “I watched how you did the last year and it's enough. You have to work it out and not forget about it.”

There was one single tear falling from Sandra's eyes, but soon followed by many more. “I'm just scared.”

Lydia smiled softly, “This is actually the first time I see you cry about it. And it's okay. You're allowed to have a vulnerable side.” She brushed a strand of hair behind the ear of her friend.

With shaking hands Sandra tried to have another sip, but failed halfway up, “I was always the strong one. But when Brain attacked me, I felt so helpless, so weak – and I never want to feel like this again!” Lydia stood now and looked down into tear stained eyes, “And that's why you let noone close enough to like you?” Shaking her head. Sandra frowned, “But what if he takes advantage from that?”

Lydia laughed quietly, “He won't. He already invested too much, to hurt you.” Sandra looked up confused. “Well, as I said, I had an hour to talk to him. And he is a wonderful person. And believe me, he won't dare to hurt you, because I told him, I will kill him otherwise.” Lydia winked.

Sandra embraced her friend in a hug and thanked her for being the most beautiful friend. They sat next to each other and enjoyed the silence untill Sandra finished her tea.

It was not easy to get into her tent and sleeping bag quietly, but Sandra did her best, not to wake Rory.

“I had no idea...” Rory turned to face her, “...how you felt about me. I'm sorry that I ever questioned your ambitions.”

“It's okay. You couldn't know.” She rolled up in her sleeping bag and faced him.

Rory put his head onto his hands, “Why did you left? Rou came back saying you're gone.”

“Because of him and the whole situation.” Sandra sighed.

He frowned, “Him?”

She rolled to her back and stared at the ceiling, “He told me, that he made a few stupid comments yesterday and strengthened your wariness. And he told me, that he didn't trust me even an inch.”

Rory frowned, “I'm sure, he didn't say that. And I had the worries before.” He gazed at Sandra, “Chris is a womanizer, you know? And it wouldn't have been the first time, so ...”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey there everyone. Finally I found some time to write and now I'm all in. ;) So you'll hear more from me in the next weeks. Enjoy!