(Un)Lucky Coincidences

# 8

Sandra woke up to the silence of the beginning day. Rory's breath next to her was slow and deep. But even everything felt peaceful, she wasn't able to fall asleep again, so she decided to get up and enjoy the calm before the storm, before the rest of the festival area would awake and before the gents would get up.

Wrapped up in a blanket, she placed herself on a chair in front of her tent and took a sip of her tea. The morning fog crawled around the tents and the sun tried its best to fight it off.

But sooner than later, there was motion from the tent to her right and it didn't took long before Chris' head popped up. “Good morning”, his rough morning voice scratched within her ears and made the merryment leave her heart. “Good morning.” She managed to reply quietly.

Chris tried to climb out of the tent, “Mind if I join your company and have some tea?” His eyes still held their pityful shame, but he hoped Sandra wouldn't kill him immediately.

Sandra shook her head and gestured him to take a seat. To her surprise he sat down without another word and seemed to inhale the pureness of the new day.

But after a few minutes he broke the peaceful silence. “I could hear your conversation with Lydia yesterday. And now I feel even worse. I'm really sorry, but I know that an apology is not enough.” He fixed his stare to his mug and got himself prepared for anything – screaming, yelling, crying, silence – anything.

Sandra didn't bother to look at him, but concentrated on the horizon instead. Her voice was calm and soft and there was no need to add pressure to the words that were coming, “It's okay. You can't undo it and feeling guilty or threatened doesn't help either of us. I won't forgive or forget or anything, I just decided to ignore it for a while. So don't get the wrong impression, when I act normal. I don't trust you. Not even an inch.” With the last words she stared at him and made him feel, how serious she was. He was confused by her confession, but nodded quietly.

“But you know, what's really bad?” Sandra fixed her eyes back on the horizon and continued in thoughts, “You apologised to me a million times, but not even once you thought of Rory.” She took a sip of her tea and waited for his reply. Chris looked at her with a frawn, “But I wasn't sure, that he knows.”

Sandra gazed at him sidelong and gave him a look, that said 'That's a really lame excuse!' She had another sip, giving Chris a chance to say something in his defense, but than she started again, “Well, you hurt him and it sounded like it hasn't been the first time.”

Finally Chris sighed and looked down into his mug, “That's true. And it's wrong, I know, but we always worked it out.” He glared at Sandra to find herself facing him, “But compared to Rory – the great guitarist – I'm just the other guy with something similar to a guitar.” He changed his position and took a sip of his tea. “He always meets the interesting and nice women. And sometimes I just can't help myself but give it a try.” Now he gazed back to Sandra, “And sometimes it's a bit too much.”

Chris slowly shook his head in confusion, when a bright smile played her lips. “You really need to talk to each other. You have some deep issues going on.” She laughed out.

“What do you mean?” Chris was not at all understanding the rapid change in her mood.

“Well, I think Rory is thinking the same about you.” She still smiled.

===

Sandra came back from the shower. It always helps her to get a fresh mind, so she took her time.

The rest of the gents were awake and even Lydia was sitting in front of her tent with some coffee in hands. Sandra slowed down her walk to capture the image of the peaceful and unclouded mood of the others.

But Rou jumped up and walked straight to her, meeting her about 15 meter away. “Hey there,” he embraced her in a hug. “I'm sorry that I pissed you off yesterday...” He released her and wrung his fingers, “... and about ... um.” Sandra sighed, “Last summer?”

He looked up at her to find unease in her stare, “Yeah.”

“Can we just forget about it? It has nothing to do with you and I feel quiet unwell that now all of you know.” Sandra's voice sounded anoyed, but only in discomfort, there was no general dislike in it.

Rou started walking and shook his head with a light grin, “Okay. But it's hard to ignore, you know?”

“Give it a try.” The convincing smile of Sandra made him mirrow her expression. “Well. So how are you today?”

Sandra laughed slightly, but kept herself serious enough to answer, “Good. Good. Much better than yesterday.” Rou guided her back to the rest, “Good to hear that. And what are you about to see today?”

An awkward smile creeped onto Sandra's face, “That feels like horrible small talk.” She laughed out once more, “But fine. I don't know. I didn't saw the timetable already. Is there something you would advice?” She winked at Rou, while taking a seat.

“Well, we already played. So I think there's nothing good to come any more.” He shrugged his shoulders, but soon found himself cracked with laughter. Sandra joined him, “Seems legit.”

===

“Are you're sure you don't wanna join me to London?” Rory took Sandra's hand, “I don't have a good feeling about the two of you hitch-hiking again.” His worried eyes rested on her, but she kept her smile. “I know you don't like the idea. But Lydia and I planned this trip now for so long. And I want to go swimming in the Atlantic ocean. That always has been the goal, you remember?” She squeezed his palm before letting loose and putting on her backpack.

Throughout the past three days, Rory avoided any questions about their trip, in hope Sandra would join him and quit the idea of hitch-hiking across Europe. But he was wrong. And even though it was hard to say her farewell after only three days, Sandra never had any doubts about continuing her trip. It made her heart sadden, that she was leaving Rory again for at least four weeks, but it was her reward for the hard work of the past six months. She finished her studies, she finished her exams, all of it with very good grades and now it was her time to enjoy herself.

And after all, she knew, there would be much time to spend with Rory, when she would be back in London to start working at the university by October.

“It's only four or five weeks. And I promised to send you some updates of the trip. So let go already.” Sandra laughed and hugged Rory, just to squeeze him one last time and inhale his smell. Keeping the memory save for the next weeks. She said her farewell to Rou and Chris before entering the station and she knew, Lydia was waiting for her in the train. It was time to go.

“I'll miss you. But you will see, time flies by and before you know it, I'm back.” Her voice was just a whisper and she struggled to convice herself of what she said.

Rory chuckled, “You're lying, but I wanna believe it. And I'll miss you too.” He squeezed her once again, pulled back and kissed her forehead. “Have fun.”

He waited untill she entered the train and watched her take a seat. One last wave and he turned to leave the platform. No dramatic farewell was needed, enough drama for one weekend.

There were many other festivals and shows to come, much work and much more fun. He won't even recognise, she's gone. Well, at least he was telling himself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here cames the next one. I hope you enjoy the story so far. If so, let me know! :)