Status: Weekly update: Saturdays. Mondays if delayed. This is an original story written by me. Please do not steal any content from it.

War on the Wind - (Closed)

Chapter 2

Robert's squad crouched in a trench as a squad of eight Volucris moved passed their position. They'd seen bodies, human, on their way. None were fresh enough to belong to the people now under his direction, but his concern now grew. Rachel crouched before him, eyes blazing with the warriors spirit. Would she contain herself? Would the others? They'd seen friends fall, old comrades. They'd been forced to hide and scurry around like mice. Each and every one of them held fury in their hearts for these beings, but to release it uncontrolled would be their downfall. Slowly, Robert put a hand on the woman's shoulder. She looked at him, her expression softening under her Captain's gaze. She was a good warrior. A good friend. He would not let any of them throw their lives away so easily. He met each of their eyes in turn, they knew they needed to hold their position.

Turning his head back, eyes pinned on the enemy, Robert was aware of the suns positioning. Soon they would be flying. He knew the valley was within a good running distance. Already the ground began showing patches of grass, and the valley tops loomed bigger in the distance. They would have to choose whether to risk a run, or continue moving cautiously. He would have to choose.

The Volucris finally moved off to the right at a brisk pace. Unable to help himself, he let out a sigh of relief. It was a few moments later that they emerged from their cover shooting wary glances towards the direction the squad had headed. They had not been seen yet, but their luck was wearing thin. It was time for the decision to be made. Robert, eyes still gazing off to the right, finally chose.

"We make a run for Kieshan Valley... Fall behind, you get left behind!" The words were curt, to the point. His team would not misunderstand. No, not with such a clear statement. It was a harsh reality, but the dangers were mounting up against them every second they spent away from Ragnil.

Giving everyone a moment to make sure what they carried was properly secured, he rechecked the skies and the land as far as he could see. Clear. For now. Looking back at the present members of Falcon and seeing they stood ready, he began to jog, then increased his pace until he was running, wind now whipping his tangle of auburn hair around, drying his previously sweat glistening forehead. It would only be a matter of time till the sweat was being secreted faster than the wind could cool and dry it. Then he would have to contend with possible streams of sweat trickling down his face, possibly in his eyes, as well as tackling the lay of the land that was uneven and at times full of ditches.

The increasing amount of grass that was at first non existent then sparse, was a good sign of how far they travelled. As they bounded over ruined walls, height decreased by weather and time, Robert saw something brown in the distance. At first he dismissed it, thinking the heat played with his vision. But soon he found himself unable to ignore the increasingly large brown dot on the horizon.

"Izaac, can you see that?" he asked, his voice unbroken by the long run.

"See what?" was the reply Izaac gave him.

"Can anyone see that brown thing on the horizon?" he reiterated, concern now filling his voice. He had a bad feeling.

"I can!" he heard Anthony answer. "And I swear it's getting bigger!"

Alarms were going off in Robert's head. They were still quite a distance from the valley, but if it was an enemy, which he had no doubt it was, they couldn't lead it to where the others were. Without needing to consider it, Robert knew they stood a better chance in numbers, but if it turned out they were outnumbered, every one of them would undoubtedly fall.

The dot on the horizon turned to a blob, which then slowly started to take shape. A bear like creature, bone like spires sprouting down its spine, ran towards them. Fur thick and brown, teeth dagger like and sharp. The beast was ferocious, wielding sharp talons to boot. A Venator. Robert's heart skipped a beat at the sight. A creature that could kill several hundred men now charged towards a squad of just five!

Their pace quickened, adrenaline coursing through their veins. Even if they continued to run, he could tell the Venator would be upon them before they reached their destination, its predatorial eyes now within focus. The decision was already made. Robert slowed, the others copying. He turned to face the approaching Venator and ordered the squad into position.

"Izaac, up front! Rachel, Anthony, Simon, behind us. Keep a distance of ten feett between each of you until it is within our midst. If we're knocked back, then at least you won't be brought down with us. When Izaac and I engage with the Venator I want you three to encircle it!" he gave them a quick glance, relieved to see their eyes burning with determination. "It'll be even fiercer when surrounded, stay sharp, keep on it, and we'll be through this with determination and skill!"

Izaac had his alesensis drawn, but Robert only kept a hand on the hilt of his. As the creature approached, a trail of dust behind, he dared a quick glance back at the remainder of the squad. Anthony and Rachel had their alesensis drawn, but Simon had opted to start with his dagger. How well would they fare though. He pushed the question from his mind as the hammer like thumps of the Venator's footfalls drew near.

Rrrrr! The Venator pounced, its burly body spelling doom for whoever was unlucky enough to be caught underneath it. No one was though, as both Robert and Izaac sidestepped the attack. With a surge of adrenaline Robert pulled his alesensis free of its sheath, the blade gleaming as the rays of sunlight hit it. Quick to act, Izaac was already lunging for the creature, the other members of the squad also lunging forwards, not having to encircle the Venator as it had practically done the work for them by leaping passed Robert and Izaac.

The Venator roared. A terrible sound of audible doom that seemed to shake the very ground and caused the warriors to stagger back. Simon darted forwards, the only one unphased by the creatures bellow, seeking to take the creature whilst it roared. It was a mistake. Like lightning, the creature's front paw swept across in a blur. A cracking sound erupted into the air as it made contact with Simon's skull. He was dead before he hit the ground.

"SIMON!!!" yelled Anthony, now racing forwards, furious and seeking vengence. Before Robert could stop him, Anthony had bypassed the snap of razor sharp teeth and pierced the Venator's flank with his sword. The creature let loose a mighty roar that dwarfed the previous.

Isaac raced forwards to lend aid only to be swatted away by a mighty paw. The creature's head pivoted to the side as it snapped at Anthony who withdrew the blade a fraction only to ram it back in, continuously repeating the process. Rachel, who'd circled the creature after Simon had crumpled under its mighty blow, had lunged forwards too, but was knocked down by the Venator as it reared onto its hind legs, its rear bowling her over. Robert leapt for the creature as Anthony lost his grip; the blood leaking onto his hilt made the surface slippery. Again it protected itself with a swipe of its paw.

Managing to guard himself against a direct hit with the flat of his blade, Robert hit the ground in a tumble. Earth and sky swivelled together in a dance as he rolled and tumbled, before finally only the dirt below painted his vision, a patch of grass tickling his left nostril. For a moment, brief, he lay there trying to regain his bearings, then he struggled to rise. Finally, he managed to get to his feet, but found his heart and mind crying out in pain as he witnessed Anthony being swung around by his leg like a rag doll. He tried to move but was shaky on his feet. Another roar from the beast threatened to knock him down. Anthony, still conscious, had pulled his dagger free of his waist and drove it up to the hilt into the creature's maw. Blood sprayed everywhere as the creature shook its head as if it could rid itself of the pain or dagger. Leg freed, Anthony slumped on the floor.

Robert was finally moving, but now he was trying to shout. As if in slow motion, he could see what was about to happen. Anthony lay gasping on the floor. The Venator stood shaking its head and paws viciously just a step away. Now the beast had lost its balance. It brought its front feet down to steady itself. He cried his warning too late as the frantic beast brought his paw down upon Anthony's chest. A gurgled scream came from the warrior before he fell silent.

Looking across to where Izaac now stood swaying, Robert registered the shock on the young man's face. He looked next at the young woman Rachel, who was warily walking to and fro behind the beast, judging when would be the opportune time to attack. With a raging determination he surged forwards. Inches away, the creatures paw swung for him. It found no target. Robert had dropped his alesensis, the first time since beginning to wield it, and raced for the one his fallen comrade had left buried in the beasts side. With a great mass of strength, he grabbed the hilt and wrenched it sideward.

Like the roar of a mountain letting loose a wave of rocks and boulders, the Venator's cry was deafening. It thrashed about, its head snapping back to try and get a grip on its attacker. It reared, but that only served Robert further. He gave a mighty pull with all his might and tumbled back as the blade cut its way free of the creature's skin. Blood spurted and poured from the great wound. Stomach, intestines and things Robert could not identify spilt through as the frantic thrashing only served to quicken its death. It toppled to the floor panting and emitting low growls that steadily got weaker.

Robert could have let it suffer, but he was not a cruel man. It had been a matter of survival, though anger had played its part. With a fluid move of his hand, he severed the beasts trachea. Within moments it died, the once ferocious eyes now dull and unseeing. Lingering only a moment, he moved to Simon's body.

"Is he alive?" He spoke to Izaac who was now kneeling at his comrades side. The man's sullen face answered without word. Anthony was also dead. Closing their eyes, he took their alesensis, as he always did when a member of Falcon fell. He'd hoped that that time would never come again, but it had, as it always eventually did. The next members to join would wield these. As usual, he'd inform them of who their predecessors were. It was a choice, not a necessity. He sighed in silent grievance as the addition of the two swords on his back weighed him down with the souls of the fallen. He had said that he wanted no one dead, but it was his squad who had had losses.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoyed the second chapter of War on the Wind. If you have any comments or feedback to give, please don't hesitate. I look forwards to seeing them. Below I've just added the sounding of some of the names to help :)

Alesensis - al-le-sen-sis
Verator - Ve-ra-tore
Volucris - Vol-lu-cris