Status: Weekly update: Saturdays. Mondays if delayed. This is an original story written by me. Please do not steal any content from it.

War on the Wind - (Closed)

Chapter 4

Tension filled the room of gathered men currently sat around a rectangle wooden table. A few paintings of past battles hung up on the stone walls, spaced generously, still revealing just how bland the room was. A few slits in the stone work, too small to allow a person through, allowed light into the room. In the far corner stood two servant boys, ready to refill the men's glasses of watered down wine when needed. Pure wine could come after the serious discussion, if the current occupants left on agreeable terms.

"Lord Albert, I do not understand your worries," replied General Hagan, leader of the 1,800 strong force that had just arrived in Fort Ragnil.

"My 'worries' General Hagan," began Lord Albert, his face a mask of concern and anger, "Is that despite your intentions, though questionable, you didn't follow orders and so have sent 200 men to their possible deaths!" There was some nods of agreement from the five gathered generals of Lord Albert's army. His strategist, Finnley, sat quiet, taking all in at this council meeting.

The words were a blow to Hagan. Such a mistake would bruise his reputation. He didn't care much for the men. Even that fool Peter was just another expendable life to him. But the mistake was like a gash upon his body that would heal, yes, but scar none the less. He would need to make sure to somehow pin it on another. Maybe Peter himself. He could not let such a thing hold him back. A few lives would be nothing in his grand scheme. And those devils... They would feel his wrath.

"It should have been clear to you, General, that that area was unexplored for a reason," stated Lord Albert, knowing one of his most trusted Generals, Peter, had been ordered to lead the force of 200 doomed men.

Hagan bit back his annoyance. He would hold back his pride for the moment. "I did not think, my Lord. I only wished to aid you further expand your land." This was partly true. One of the generals shook his head, as if in disbelief that this man was making excuses.

"I have more pressing matters than expanding my land, General," growled Lord Albert irritably, his patience with this man rapidly fading. "The Volucris, that 200 men will undoubtably meet, being one of them!"

"I will set out with a force to find them then, my Lord," replied Hagan. It was the last thing he wanted to do, but it would help him keep face in front of these bunch of fools. The way he saw it was, it looked better that he suggested it, than if the Lord requested it and he of course had no choice but to comply.

"And risk how many more men?" spat General Ryan, slamming his clenched fist on the table like a hammer, disgusted with this man's incurrable ignorance. How did such a man become a general?

"The man at least wishes to correct his mistakes, Ryan! Would you degrade him for such intent?" Hagan looked across to General Terrence, the man who'd just spoken in his defence. The man held an aura of strength and authority.

"It so happens that I had been writing up a plan of action on scouting out that area of land," informed Lord Albert. This was quite the surprise to Hagan, who'd thought he'd later have to consistently try and convince Lord Albert to start plans of action. "But, I find myself questioning if this is really a suitable time. In light of your recent actions, the enemy will be now much more on guard."

"Will that not be the perfect opportunity to scout their forces though?" Hagan pointed out.

"To what end are you ready to risk 'my' men's lives, General?"

"Without risk, we would not progress, my Lord," replied Hagan, unwilling to back down now.

"Without forethought, a risk can also be ones demise," stated Finnly, his elbows on the table, hands clasped. "We must decide on a plan of action none the less, whether it's implemented tomorrow, three months, or a year from now." There were murmurs of agreement.

"Then let us begin planning," said Lord Albert, who held his strategist's opinions in high regard. "Arguing further will not help those poor souls."

*******


Hagan wrapped on the wooden door before him as he waited out in the hallway. The council meeting had ended some time ago. Though not exactly to his liking, the results had been okay nonetheless. Impatient, he knocked harder on the door. It opened silently. Hinges are clearly well kept, he thought to himself as he entered the almost pitch black room, door closing behind him.

A bulky silhouette of a person moved in closer to him. He spun round startled as the person spoke in a deep grating voice, the only evidence of it being a man. "Hopefully we've gotten rid of that nosey fool Peter. If not, well, there are more, tactful ways of dealing with a man like him." The scarse amount of light still was enough to reveal the stained tooth grin that the man gave. Hagan noticed a void in his bottom row where an incisor should have been.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys. Thanks for continuing to read. This is the fourth chapter, and once more, I've enjoyed writing and editing it. If you want to leave feedback, then feel free to, as I enjoy reading the comments you all leave :)

I hope you enjoy it