Status: One shot! Contest~ What do you think?

Ho Ho Hopefully

Little Bit of Love and a Whole lot of Lust

Locking up the small bakery, she slips the silver key into her purse. As she starts to walk home, snow freckles down onto the never ending mounds of snow that’s been building up since the beginning of December.

As her feet moves nimbly through the thick snow, all around the lights flicker on in small shops. Far away, she sees the Christmas tree that’s already been assembled in the middle of The Rockefeller Center. The vibrant colors of green and red radiate off the tree and reflect off the pure white snow.

Adjusting her scarf, the cold breeze passes by. Walking by the Wollman Rink, little kids and their families hold hands skating in the cold enjoying the winter time.

The sound of “Blue Christmas,” by Elvis Presley plays swiftly in Central Park. A small crowd has form around the local street performers. Christmas carolers stop by lending in a couple of tunes, while children hang around building snowmen.

Approaching Fifth Avenue, a small group of kids run around having a snowball fight, their parents sitting on the bench across sipping on peppermint mochas.

Slowly one kid gets ready, forming a huge attack on his sibling, with not the strongest aim; he throws the dense white ball. She sees the ball coming her way, swiftly she ducks, and the snow ball glides pass her hitting the car.

One, who she assumes was the Mother, quickly approaches her with the little boy in grasp.

The tall lean woman stands before her, her lips chapped from the cold, and cheeks rosy with the perfect shade of pink. “My son has something to say to you, right Nate?”

Nate’s head stays low, his eyes glue to the ground. His shoulders slump back surely ashamed of his actions. “I’m sorry,” he mumbles.

She smiles reaching into her bag; she pulls out a small bag of freshly baked cookies from the bakery. Neatly tied away with a shiny gold ribbon, “It’s fine; it was an accident, right?” He nods. “Very well, this is for you. Have a happy holiday.”

The boy looks up at the cookies, confused at her offering. He looks to his Mother, she nods and he takes the bag from her hand. “Thank you,”

“No problem,” She offers a warm smile. Waving to the boy and his family, she continues walking home.

With a block left to go, she passes a couple sitting in the local coffee shop. With lust filling their eyes, hands intertwined sharing warmth. She feels a small tingle in her heart, to where all the emptiness is held.

Approaching the Eldorado apartment building, Sebastian opens the door and greets her, just like every other night.

“Hi, Sebastian, late nights shift?” she asks wiping her heels on the carpet. He smiles nodding, his white gloves perfectly white and shoes, well-polished.

“The usual Miss. Parks,” his manners stuck to each word, throughout the years they’ve known one another, he insists on calling her Miss. Parks. “Same goes for you I guess?”

She laughs as they both know the answer. “The usual Mr. Edwards,” she replies in the same sarcastic manner. “Goodnight Sebastian,”

“And goodnight to you, Miss. Parks.” He tips his hat her way as she walks to the elevator.

Getting into the elevator, a tall male comes in sight standing in the corner. His dark brown almost jet black hair is in all directions, but in a good way, effortless with an edge. What really stood out is his eyes, they glisten an emerald green with a tint of teal. They are beautiful to say the least.

Removing her stare from him, she reaches for the button; his hand goes out at the same time causing them to brush hands. She looks up and he smirks.

“To the twentieth floor we both go.” He says in a raspy voice. She slowly retrieves her hands looking straight forward, the red numbers slowly increase, 17, 18, 19—

The heavy metal doors slide open, not hesitating she walks out. But, she and the guy walks out the same time causing them to crash. The impact causes her to bolt backwards; luckily she catches her balance before hitting the mirror behind.

Her reaction catches him off guard; she looks him in the eye and starts to laugh.

“Are you okay?” He asks, and then realizing what has just happened was in fact funny. He starts to bolt out a laugh himself.

“Yeah, I’m okay.” She straightens her scarf, “Sorry about that, I’m pretty clumsy.”

“It’s no problem, I guess we both are.” He smiles showing his perfectly lined teeth.

She nods, “Well, sorry about that. Have a happy holiday.”

He scratches the back of his neck feeling a bit awkward. “Erm yeah, same goes to you.”

Walking away, she walks down the hall to Apartment 485. Unlocking the door, she pushes it open. Inside is dark and cold, the smell of vanilla scented candles fill the room. Dropping her bag down, she turns on all the lights.

Collapsing onto the bed, she lets out a heavy sigh; it’s been a long day. As much as she loves the holiday season, it was a load of stress on her part. Having orders come in non-stop, staying late making sure everything was perfect. She was lucky to get any sleep.

Closing her eyes, she lets her body meld with the bed. Slowly she drifts to a slumber, slowly—

“Eh hem,” A voice clears their throat beside her. Lazily she opens her eyes, in front of her was a guy? Boy? No more than five foot stands before her.

“Uh,” She starts to scoot away confused. “Who are you?”

He slicks his hair back, chapping his lip once then twice. “You can call me the Christmas cupid.”

“Pardon?”

He rolls his eyes taking a seat next to her. “You heard me girl, I’m the Christmas cupid.”

“This can’t be real,” She mumbles. He flicks a piece of lint off his shoulders turning to her.

“As real as it gets sweet cheeks,” She pokes his arms. “Don’t touch me.”

“Sorry,” Is she imagining this, is he really real?

“Yes I’m real, stop asking that!” He grumbles.

“How do you know I was thinking that?”

He gets off the bed and paces the room. “Because I’m magic, are you done wasting my time now?”

“No,” she says sitting up. “Why are you here?”

“I was sent here, a little birdie told me you were in need of a little lust.” Her eyebrow knits together, what does he mean a little lust?

“What I mean by a little lust is that, you’re missing a part in your heart. You have your life all figured out, a great job, a supporting family, a roof on top of your head. But you’re missing something, a male figure; no, no more like a male companion.”

“How do you know that?” She asks in disbelief. How can he come in here and tell her she needs a male companion in her life?

“Are you married?” He asks she shakes her head. “Do you have a boyfriend?” She shakes her head again. “Well then, point proven. My mission is to find you a man before New Year’s Eve.”

“But why though? Why are you sent here to do this?” Her mind was filled with questions, but will they be answered.

“Because you have a caring heart, we’ve been watching you closely. You give but never get. Base your decision on others, it’s them before you. But that’s changing this year, it’s going to be you before others, get with a little give.”

“You’ve been watching me?”

“That doesn’t matter,” He starts to polish his bow and arrow. “So I see you met Ayden today.”

“Who?” Is he talking about the guy she met in the elevator?

“Yes I’m talking about the guy in the elevator.”

She bites her lip thinking about the encounter earlier, “Yeah so?”

“So what do you think about him?”

“He’s cute I guess…,” She crosses her leg onto the bed trying to see where he was getting at. “Why do you ask?”

“Just curious, that’s all.” He smirks, placing the arrow to the bow and shoots. The arrow hits the painting on the wall, dead center.

“Do you really go around shooting people in the butt with that?”

He laughs shaking his head. “No, that’s just in the movies. We carry it around for looks, it really does nothing.” Hoping off the chair he retrieves his arrow. “Well its best I get going now, get some sleep. You’ve got a full day ahead of you Penelope.”

“How do you—,“She didn’t get finished before he vanishes in thin air. She thinks back to what he had said. “I’ve been watching you…I’m magic.”

&


Stringing the never ending strands of popcorn around the radiant green tree, she hums to the beat of ‘The Fireman’ by Death Cad for Cutie. Backing up to admire her work, red and green ornaments wrap itself around the evergreen.

Grabbing the star from its box, she carefully pulls out a mini step-stool. Nimbly she walks up the rickety steps, the tip of the tree in sight. With one hand keeping her balance, and the other placing the shimmering star on the tip, she carefully adjusts it with perfect precision.

As she makes her way off the stool, a small voice whispers. “It’s a little crooked there, don’t you think?”

Letting out a high shriek, she topples over the tool from fright. She lands awkwardly on the carpeted floor; a faint chuckle comes from behind. Looking up she sees once again cupid looking down at her with a smirk plastered on his face.

“What—,“I small thump comes from the door. Who could it be?

“You better get that.” He says taking a seat on her bed. She quickly gets up from the ground and straightens out her sweater.

Walking to the door, she fiddles with her hair, recovering from the crash. When she opens the door, she becomes face to face with…Ayden?

“Erm, hey,” he says scratching the back of his neck. His hair was tussled like the night before, but this time he is wearing dark jeans with a simple sweater and scarf.

“Hey,” she replies coolly. “Can I help you?”

She says in a little more sass than intended. “Sorry to bother you, I just erm…heard a loud crash from next door and wanted to make sure everything was, okay.”

“Oh yeah! Everything’s alright, just had a little incident, but everything’s all good now; thank you.” She says a little too frantically. He nods as his eyebrow knits together. “What?”

“It’s just—“he pauses as he isthinking. “—“Is that, Blink-182 playing?”

“What?” She asks, giving him a look. He shifts his weight so he is now leaning against the door frame.

“Blink-182, as in the band, the song—“She forgot her iPod is still playing on shuffle.

“I won’t be home for Christmas,” They say in unison. His eyes light up immediately.

For a minute the two stand staring at one another in amazement. As they both stare into each other’s eyes, Cupid makes his way behind Ayden. He starts to pretend he is shooting his arrow at Ayden’s behind, causing Penelope to laugh.

Ayden snaps out of his Trans and bites his lip nervously. “Well erm sorry to bother. I guess I’ll just get going now.”

She nods lightly tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. “Yeah, thank you.”

“No problem,” he offers a warm smile backing away, “And good choice in music.”

Her insides start to gush at his words, why is she feeling this way? She lets out a laugh trying to cover her awkwardness. “Thanks,” That was it? Thanks?

He chuckles offering a small wave. “See ya around, and also the name’s Ayden. Just so I don’t seem like a creep.”

She sheepishly nods walking back into her apartment. As the door closes shut, she glides down letting her eyes shut.

“Smooth.” She groans, hearing Cupid’s words.

“Why are you even here Cupid? If it weren’t for you, none of this would have happened.” She sighs hitting her head lightly against the door. “If you wouldn’t have scared me, I wouldn’t have fallen. Ayden wouldn’t have come over, I wouldn’t have been so awkward and embarrass myself.”

“This will all work out in your favor sooner or later sweet cheeks.” He says patting her shoulder. “You’ll thank me soon enough. But for now we’ve got to get started on the mission we have set for.”

“What do you have in mind?” She asks opening her eyes. He paces the room biting off pieces of candy cane.

“It’s called around the world in one minute.”

“What’s the supposed to mean?”

“I guess you’ll have to wait and see.” He says with a devilish grin.

&


“Can we stop, please.” Penelope groans stuffing her face in her hand. “This is agony.”

For the past hour, cupid as made her sit at a café while guys come around one by one telling her about themselves; each guy, one minute. She finds each and every one with no personality, either trying to overly impress her or too awkward for their own good.

She sighs flipping the coaster around the table, she’s been here for half a day already; all she wants to do is go home and snuggle in warm sheets.

“Oh lighten up sweetie; you have to at least find one of these guys decent.” Cupid takes a seat across from her adjusting his scarf.

“I don’t, there really is no point in this.” She lays her head down onto the glass table, she is tired and wants go home. “You’ve been having me do the craziest things over the past couple of days, I can’t do it anymore.”

“But—“

“Please, I’m exhausted and in dire need of some sleep.” Penelope starts to get up pulling on her coat. As she walks down the sidewalk, the smell of gingerbread roams the air, mix with a scent of pine, twirling around.

Stuffing her hands into her coat pocket, she heads home.

As she walks into the lobby, the only light was coming from the tree in the corner. Sebastian has taken the night off to be with his family on New Year’s.

Approaching her door, a little sticky note stuck out from the frame. Pulling on the little sheet of paper, she unfolds the red paper.

Meet me in the middle of Times Square, 11:55pm on the dot. I’ll be the one with a dozen red roses. –A

Her eyebrows knits together debating whether or not to go, going with her gut she starts her way back to the elevator.

&


Weaving her way through the massive crowd of people, who wait impatiently for the ball to drop. She makes her way to the center of the crowd; she searches around for the mystery guy. The adrenalin starts to kick in, he heart beat races.

Waiting for what seems eternity, she tries to leave the crowd. She should have known this is too good to be true. Just come kids pulling a sick joke, why did she get her hopes up?

A single tear slides down her rosy cheeks, the feeling of dissatisfaction takes over her body. By now, she’s pushing her way pass everyone, reaching the side walk she feels an arm tug on her sleeve.

She twirls around; she can only see the outline of the person, the lights illuminate around the figure making it harder for her vision. The grip tightens on her hand pulling her to the corner.

To where there’s light, she finally sees the person, “Ayden?”

He smiles holding up the roses with his other hand. “These are for you.”

“What?” she asks shocked. The crowd behind him starts to count down for the ball drop. “You’re the one who put the note on my door?”

“Yeah,” He answers shyly, his eyes shimmer under the light. His cheeks rosy from the cold, lips chapped.

19—18—17—

“Wow, where did this all come from?” She utters, biting the end of her lip.

“Years ago,” He pulls her to the bench. “In the non-creepy way of course, you don’t remember but we've known each other since we were children. We were neighbors; you would always come over and play Transformer with me. Then you moved away, later I saw you in the apartment lobby, I just never said anything.” She nods, amazed at what she is being told. “Later as time elapsed, the memories started to kick in, the times we had spent as children, and now how you’ve turned into a beautiful woman.”

10—9—8—

“All these feelings came back all of a sudden, I just—I wanted—“

6—5—4—

She doesn't say anything, the shock overwhelms her body. Everything seems to go numb, quiet, and dark. Her mouth is open, but nothing comes out.

Penelope looks into his eyes, glistening with lust. She shakes his head letting out a chuckle. “Wow, what an idiot I’m making of myself.” He lets go of her hand letting them fall into her lap. “Just—just forget all of this, you don’t remember.”

He starts to get up, placing the roses on the bench.

3—2—

She jumps up grabbing his hand, he spins around. Their faces inches apart, they stare straight into each other’s eyes, —1

She crashes her lips onto his; the crowd starts to cheer as the ball drops. Fireworks start to explode into the air, green and red erupts.

As a natural instinct, Ayden kisses her back, letting his hands fine her petite waist, pulling her in. She lets her fingers intertwine with his soft locks.

Penelope pulls away letting her hand be held by his. Out of the corner of her eye, she sees Cupid with a smile on his face. For a brief second they share eye contact, she mouths ‘Thank you’ to him. He winks vanishing into thin air, which was the last of Cupid.

Letting her head rest on his shoulder, she whispers. “I remember you, Ayden Taylor Nickelson.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Penelope