Status: in progress.

On Letting Go

o6

It was turning out to be a difficult week. Work was taking up most of Cora's time, and every waking second seemed to pass slower than the last. She sat on her bed in a pair of shorts and an oversized tee shirt, laptop in front of her, hands flying over the keyboard. For an entire week she stayed cooped up in her room, working on that same article with the due date looming over her head. A pushy editor didn't exactly make matters any less stressful.

So it was a small comfort that Rick texted her throughout the writing process, and Cora responded during the 10 minute breaks she allowed herself to take. It seemed like their schedules didn't match up too often lately, so Rick send friendly texts to keep in contact with this girl that captivated him.
Cora finally emerged from her bedroom, hair tied up messily and eyes surrounded by dark circles. Only minutes before had she e-mailed the finished article to the editor, and a huge weight lifted off of her chest. She made a beeline for her cell phone which was sitting on the kitchen counter. She typed in the seven numbers and patiently listened to the ringing, waiting for someone to answer. "Hey! Paper finished?", the voice greeted. "Yes! And that's why I'm calling. How about those Tigers tickets?"
Rick was hesitant, asking "For today? Because Verlander is pitching tomorrow and that's always entertaining". Cora replied that she needed a break today, and she didn't care who was pitching. He reluctantly agreed to get tickets and leave them at Will Call under her name, claiming he had to work and she could bring a friend instead. So Cora called Lacey and they agreed to go to the ballpark together.

She wore a simple white v-neck and faded jeans with the intention of buying a Tigers tee shirt or something at the game. They picked up the tickets and entered the park. Suddenly all of the memories began to race back into her mind, the ones pushed back and nearly forgotten for so long. The smell, the look, the feel of her childhood. It was like remembering where she left something she thought she lost, like realizing the answer to a difficult math problem.

Baseball was her childhood like old television shows or outdated toys were to other people. After that day that was burned into her memory, though, all those thoughts were hidden in the back of her mind, too painful to remember. "Cor, you alright?" Her friend stood in front of her with a concerned look on her face, one hand waving as to get her attention. Cora put a smile on her face. "Yeah, lets go find our seats".
They explored the crowded stadium, checking out the statues in left field and the highest point in the upper deck, looking out over the field. Some of the players milled about, doing warm up stretches and playing catch. They looked like little ants scattered below, bright white home jerseys and the red of the Angels' alternates contrasting with the green outfield. The girls looked on for a while, a calm look on Cora's face. Then they headed down to their seats.

"Um, hey Cora?", Lacey spoke uneasily, which was unusual for her. Cora looked over quickly at the stunned look on her friend's face. "You said the guy's name is Rick that you met?" She recalled the conversation they had about Rick the other night while they watched movies and ate junk food after a night of partying. "Yeah, and?" She prompted. Lacey raised the Tigers magazine she picked up for five dollars from a vendor. "You might want to take a look-" Before she could finish her sentence, a booming voice came over the speakers. "And pitching for the Tigers, number forty eight, Rick Porcello!"
♠ ♠ ♠
i promise, there's going to be better things coming up in the story. I feel like it's getting boring, maybe I'll think of some things to spice it up. comment/subscribe/recommend and it'll make my day.