Status: Updates coming soon!

For Brendon.

Part Six

Pete is scribbling something on his notepad. Ryan tries to crane his neck, tries to see what it is. He is straining to make out the tiny scrawl but his mind is buzzing with memories of Brendon. The memories of him are vibrating in his skull, clashing around like glitter in a snow globe. Brendon is clouding his thoughts, running through his blood stream, making his body tingle. Just like he always did.

“He’s hinting at something,” Pete says.

Ryan’s mind stills. He bites his lip and asks, “What?”

Pete takes a deep breath. He can see how fragile Ryan is. He can see that the kid is ready to fall apart and he knows, with everything in him he knows Brendon was the only one who mastered the puzzle called Ryan. Brendon was the only one who could figure out what to do with the pieces, where they go. Ryan’s nerves go here. This chunk of heart fits over there.

“What is it?” Ryan asks again, his voice filled with a certain urgency.

Pete knows this could break Ryan, just from experience. But Ryan is paying him to talk to this soul, so he has no choice.

“Did he have a thing for candy?” Pete asks.

Ryan nods, a small smile falling into place. “He loved Jolly Ranchers, but only the watermelon ones. They were his favorite.”

-

Brendon’s eyes were dilated; were brown and sparkling and all things perfect. They closed when Ryan’s lips traced up his neck, when Ryan nipped at the sensitive skin. Ryan smirked when Brendon put trembling hands on his hips, when Brendon gasped and his face flushed. Ryan pulled back, his lips glossy, and Brendon opened his eyes again.

“That was nice,” Brendon whispered.

Ryan hummed, leaned closer to Brendon’s ear and asked in a gruff tone, “Can I kiss you now?”

Brendon’s hands stilled. His eyes grew dark and he practically whined, “Yes.”

Ryan didn’t hesitate. All he was thinking was how it was about fucking time. And when he finally, finally kissed Brendon he tasted like sugar. His lips were sweet and his tongue was just as delicious. Ryan was getting so intoxicated from the overwhelming taste of Brendon and watermelon he didn’t realize that when he pulled back he had a Jolly Rancher in his mouth.


-

“What does this have to do with anything?” Ryan asks, clasping his hands together.

Pete lets out another deep breath. “Every time you-you taste or smell…watermelon. Like, you have that overwhelming sense of, um.” Pete doesn’t know how to continue because he can hear Ryan’s breathing getting rapid, can see him almost choking. “When that happens…he said that he’s with you in that very moment.”

Ryan doesn’t know what to do, but his chest is constricting and his heart is going a mile a minute. He takes one shaky gasp of air before he lets out a strangled sob. From there, Ryan can’t stop the tears.