my gift is my song

chapter one

I remember it like it was yesterday. mom, Derek, and I were sitting at the table, eating dinner. it was a week until senior year started. "I still want to go," I said. mom raised her eyebrow at me. "want to go where, Penny?" I was about to answer when Derek said to me, "to London?" I nodded, "yes. you guys said if I still wanted to go at the beginning of senior year, then we would make arrangements for it." I looked from mom to Derek. "and it's the start of senior year next week. and I still want to go."

I remember when I told them during freshman year. mom was hesitant. I was her baby, her only child. she opened her mouth to tell me something, probably no. but Derek took her hand, and looked from me to her. he looked back at me, "are you sure about this, darling?" I nodded. "yes." he looked back at my mom. she was looking at me, her eyes wet. I ran over and hugged her. "mom, don't cry!! it would only be for a summer! I'll Skype everyday, and take pictures, and call." mom started to laugh. she pulled away from me. "I know you will baby. it's just that.. are you sure you want to go? I mean, we just got done paying off the wedding and the honeymoon. how would we pay for it?" I straightened up. "I could get a job after school. I've actually already been looking, and I applied to a couple places." mom and Derek looked at each other, then back at me. mom sighed. "well, I'll make you a deal," she said, sounding the guy from Deal or No Deal, "let's wait til senior year. if you still want to go, we'll talk about it then." she looked to Derek for support. he nodded, "if you're as sure about this as you are come senior year, it shouldn't be a problem." I smiled excitedly, and hugged them both. "thank you!"

I looked at both of them at the table. "I still want to go. I've been working after school since freshman year. I've saved everything I made. I still want to do this." mom and Derek glanced at each other. mom sighed. "we'll talk about this after dinner," and she resumed eating.