Status: main focus c:

Corrupted Lungs

pastries;

Jamie's pov --

I really couldn't believe Jack right then. He'd kept basically his whole life a secret. I'm not gonna lie, he really is attractive, but he just...I'm not ready for a relationship, which is clearly what he's looking for. If he likes me, he's in for a rude awakening, because he really doesn't know all about me. I just told him the basics, I'm the creator of a popular blog, but not too popular that I have reporters surrounding me all the time like they do to Jack. My blog is based on fashion, and I'm hoping I can become a journalist for Cosmo.

My cellphone began to ring, and I immediately picked up. I had been awaiting for this phone call for ages, and it was finally here. It was Cosmo. I had applied for a job there, and they told me they'd get back to me via phone. I mentally squealed when I picked it up.

"Jamie? Jamie, baby! Nice to talk to you again!" The woman on the other side of the line sounded nothing like the woman I spoke to the day I called up there to apply.

"Hello! May I ask who this is? I don't recognize your voice..." I trailed off, hoping that my tone didn't sound rude. I heard clicks on a keyboard and the woman spoke to someone else before returning to the phone.

"My name is Jennifer. The woman you spoke to yesterday wanted me to call you instead of her, she had some important business to take care of, I hope you understand."

"Yeah, that's completely okay with me."

"Alright, well, she wanted me to tell you a few things. She looked at your blog, and she loved it!" My breath caught in my throat. She loved MY blog!

"But there's one bad thing..." Of course.

"Sadly, we're not currently looking for anyone else, but we'll keep you in mind." Bullshit.

"Thanks anyway. Have a great day." Inner me was crying in pain, and throwing stuff all over the place. I hung up the phone after Jennifer said her goodbye. No, more like, slammed the phone.

Image

Knock knock

Someone was at the door, and it was, you guessed it, Jack. Nobody but him visits me, so I knew it was him. I'm more open on the internet, where nothing really can hurt you unless you're really stupid.

I set my Cosmo magazine on the coffee table and flipped the television off. This better be good, because I was watching The X Factor, my favorite show.

"What do you want?" I said, my voice laced with anger, to Jack once the door creaked open and I saw him standing there, hands stuffed in his jacket pockets. Sure enough, there was a few reporters spread out on the road, and the sidewalk in front of my home.

His mouth was slightly open, letting his breath turn to fog as it escaped his lips. "I was wondering if you maybe wanted to...go get some more coffee?" He laughed.

"Are you serious?" I pretended to 'fangirl'. "Like, oh my gosh, this is the best moment of my life!" Then my face got serious, "And why the hell would I want to do that?" I asked him, curling my arms around my torso, as it was chilly outside.

"Very funny." Jack smirked. "I just want you to get to know me, you know, the real me."

Is this guy serious? Of course I wasn't going to accept. I have better things to do than to get in a bunch with the media, who'd just ruin my life anyway. I was probably plastered all over numerous magazines already. "JAMIE, POSSIBLE LOVER OF JACK?" I pushed the insane thought away, almost gagging. "Fine." I accepted his invite and left the doorway to go grab my coat.

Image

We were walking on the sidewalk, side by side, just talking about each other. "So there's my life story, now tell me yours." Jack said, poking my shoulder and making my face redden. I wasn't used to being this close to boys, let alone one actually touch me.

"Ah, well, I'm really borin', actually." I mumbled, my eyes dropping to my feet.

"Oh, come on, tell me!" Jack whined like a child.

"Fine! Fine." I threw my hands into the air. "I grew up in London, which tells you how I got the famous British accent." I grinned toothily. "My parents died in a car crash when I was five, so I don't really remember how they were." Jacks mouth fell to a frown and he apologized. "I was raised by my auntie, and, that's basically it." I smiled up at him and he patted me on the back.

"You must really miss them, huh." Jack's words made me want to begin crying, but I refused to do that.

"Yeah." My voice cracked and I cleared my throat. To be honest, I never really thought about my parents until now. There was an incredibly awkward silence that lasted for what felt like eternity. Then, we made it to the coffee shop.

"Thanks for allowing me to take you on this wonderful date." Jack laughed, earning a disgusted scowl from me. "Date? Er, no thank you." I shook my head and laughed. "Oh come on, just once." He did the infamous shoulder poke once more. I brushed his hand away and turned to face him. I narrowed my eyes, "And what if I refuse your offer?" I said, crossing my arms over my small chest. "Then I'll go cry in a corner for infinite." Jack tried to fight the smile that was growing on his face. "Well darn, I guess I'll accept." I opened the cafe doors and stepped inside.

I was immediately hit with the aroma of coffee beans and pastries, which made my mouth water. Jack's arm went around my waist, and my body went hot. "Excuse me, but what are you doin'?" My brows furrowed and I leaned my head up so I could look him straight in the eyes. Jack shrugged his shoulders and lead me to the line. I didn't try to move from his grasp, because it felt, and I hate to admit this, amazing.

We both ordered a cup of coffee and a small pastry. We took my usual seat by the window and I began to nibble on my cheese danish. Jack hadn't touched his pastry since we sat down. He was just staring at me, which made me slightly uncomfortable. "Take a picture, it'd last longer." I narrowed my eyes at him and stuck my tongue out. He over-dramatically gasped, which made me burst out laughing.

"Jamie!" Ben, my best friend, called my name. My eyes darted around the room before landing on him. I hopped out of my seat and ran to hug him. He kissed my cheek and I led him to the window, where Jack was sitting, watching us.

"Jack, this is Ben, Ben, Jack." I said, gesturing between the two. Jack wiped his hand on a napkin and shook Ben's hand. "Pleasure to meet you." Jack said. Ben nodded in response with one of his signature smiles. "Well, I'll leave you two to it. Have a fabulous day!" Ben giggled, waving his hand over his shoulder and walking back over to the table he was sitting at, his laptop open on it's surface. He was probably writing an entry for our fashion blog. Yes, Ben is very much a homosexual.

I took my seat back at my table and grinned at Jack. "Is he your boyfriend or something?" Jack asked me, jealousy sparked in his eyes. I laughed at his remark and waved him off. "Are you kidding me? He's homosexual. I'd have no chance with him." I took another bite of my danish and sipped my coffee.

We sat in the cafe for about two hours, and it was beginning to get dark. "I'd better get you home." Jack's voice broke the silence and he rose from his chair to throw his trash away. "Yeah." I replied, standing up also and throwing my paper cup in the garbage can.

Jack wrapped his arm around my waist once more, and I scowled at him. He was warm, and I was freezing, so I brushed the awkward feeling away and leaned into his warmth.

When we arrived back at my home, Jack waved goodbye and walked across the street to his home, directly in front of mine. I smiled and waved before stepping inside my nice, heated, cozy home.

I changed into my pajamas and settled onto the couch for some reading of my favorite book. They were playing Christmas songs on the radio, and my favorite song, Jingle Bell Rock, came on. I threw my book on the floor and hopped off the couch. I began swaying my hips and singing along with it, before I started to panic. I remembered I never shut the blinds when I came in, so Jack was probably sitting in his window, laughing at me.

Sure enough, he had been sitting there the whole time. He winked and waved at me, and in return, I flipped him off and closed the blinds. I am very self-conscious about my body, and only liked it when I was alone, before I let my guard down.