A Retrospect in Accolades

A Retrospect in Accolades Chapter 4

Chapter Four

Much like any weekend of Harry's after the war, he stayed in and watched telly or read a book. This particular Saturday, however, he felt restless with routine and ventured out to muggle London.

Before stepping out of Grimmauld Place, Harry cast a temprus charm. Apparently it was already noon. On the way to his favorite restaurant, the boy hero noticed a familiar glimmer of nearly luminescent blonde hair. Curious, he followed and saw the once and often still, arch enemy. On his arm, was a gorgeous olive skinned... IS THAT A MUGGLE?

Harry was sure he had been around Luna too much, already influenced by her many non-existent and nowhere close to real ideals. Draco Malfoy, of all six billion people was with a muggle, strutting about in muggle London as if it were a regular occurrence. This was an extraordinary sight.

Before Harry could call out to his Auror partner, the blond disapparated, bringing his (did I say 'gorgeous'?) boy toy with him. How stupid could Draco be. Harry disregarded the fact that he considered a bloke to be 'gorgeous' as there were more important things to worry over. The alley from which Malfoy had disapparated from was hardly an appropriate excuse for anywhere thats supposedly hidden. He should have gone to an apparition point.

So much for the Statute of Secrecy.

"Good morning, Potter." Draco greeted rather brightly as he strode into the small room that could easily be mistaken as a broom cupboard. The said room was Harry's office.

Harry looked up from the report Fletchley asked him to do earlier that morning and then back. "What do you want?" he asked as though Draco had intruded on something that was really in his personal interest.

Draco looked slightly offended. "I just wanted to say 'good morning'..."

The other Auror felt a bit guilty for his colder greeting. "Sorry, yeah, g'morning."

The blonde wizard gave an approving nod. "So how was your weekend?"

"Erm... okay. Yours?"

"Very well, very well."

Small talk was rather awkward between the two as they had never practised so. Perhaps the Slytherin and Gryffindor were fated to only speak when bickering or exchanging vital information. The two couldn't help but have this same thought.

An awkward silence stretched between them, causing both partners to desperately attempt to think of something to share with the other. It could have been quidditch, gossip, even something from the Quibbler for Merlin's sake. However, nothing came to mind.

As Harry scanned his memory, trying to find a particularly interesting memory or joke he heard over the weekend, he remembered being a bit jealous at one point, and also a bit angered. But why? Oh course, Draco always angered... right, it was Draco. Him and his... boyfriend? And the disapparating! "Oh yeah, speaking of weekends..." Harry eased back into conversation, "I saw you."

Draco raised a brow, "Could've said 'hi'. Where at?"

"An alley."

"Oh?"

"An alley in muggle London that you deemed safe for Apparation." Harry narrowed his eyes.

"I've apparated a lot this weekend, Potter. What's your point?" Draco huffed and crossed his arms, then shifted his weight to his right leg, causing his hip to jut out. He looked positively sassy.

"In plain sight! You could've been seen- I mean, you work with the Ministry. That's so irresponsible." Harry near-cried. "My point is... just be a bit more careful." he finished softly which was rather unexpected.

"I don't know what you're talking about. Perhaps it was another handsome blonde you saw over the weekend." Draco drawled cooly.

"Don't lie. Really, it's no use. Honesty would suit you better." Harry sighed. "Just... just be careful." he repeated.

Draco, however, did not notice (or chose to disregard) his warning for caution and burst out, "Who are you to tell me about being careful, former Undesirable No. 1? You with your chasing after trolls in first year and oh! Don't even get me started on using spells without knowing what they do!"

Harry clenched his fists. "Don't bring any of that into this! It's so irrelevant. You can't just prance about and-"

A knock interrupted had the fated to soon escalate argument.

The door creaked open to reveal a nervous looking woman. She tentatively stepped through the threshold into Harry's office. She was short and thin, with hazel coloured eyes and chestnut brown hair, giving her a rather boring overall effect. Her face seemed washed out and tired. "Uhm... Auror Potter's office?" she peeped.

Harry and Draco whipped around, altering their scowls and glares into something more welcoming. "Yes, yes. Can I help you?"

"Uhm well.." she began, sweeping a look around the office and resting it on the stacks of file folders occupying at least half the office.

Draco saw her glance, assuming she intending to take her time with whatever business she brings. "Sit down, Ms...?"

"Norkuss... Hazel. I'm the wife of Gerald..." she said and sat delicately in the beaten leather chair that was ripped in most places.

Harry stared expectantly for elaboration.

"Auror Dawlish is in charge of his case but apparently he's not available so I was directed here..."

Draco and Harry shared confused looks. Dawlish was never busy. In fact, he complained about being bored all the time."So... Mrs. Norkuss... Erm, what can we do to help then?" Harry asked.

"He said you were in charge files and I could fill something out..."Ah, Dawlish's way of reminding Harry and Draco that they were stuck with paperwork while he was where the action was.

The blond partner rolled his eyes and began rummaging through Harry's file cabinet. "Yes, that would be a priority request."

"So his case wasn't a priority before?" she asked incredulously. It seemed rather out of character.

The Auror partners backed away slightly. "No but... uhm... what is the nature of erm... your husband's case?" Draco asked.

Hazel's face tempered into a pained expression. "He was murdered."

"Our condolences, Mrs. Norkuss." Draco bowed his head a bit and handed her the paper.

Seeing her scan his desk, Harry scrambled to dig his better quill and ink set from the mess of it and placed it before her.

When Mrs. Norkuss completed the form, she handed it back. "Thank you." she said quietly and made to leave.

"Once again, sorry for your loss. We'll be sure to keep you updated on the case's progress." Harry informed.

The guest paused before stepping out and turned back, "So filling that out will make things go faster with Gerald's case?" she asked in reconfirmation.

Draco lost his air of sympathy for what seemed to be no apparent reason. "Actually, no." he smiled fakely. "It won't. We just had you fill that out to make you feel better about your trip to the Ministry. It's supposed to give you a sort of satisfaction in thinking something was done... y'know?"

Norkuss looked horror struck.

"Yeah..." Draco continued. "I know, wasn't my idea but I'd say it's effective. Gets people to leave us alone for a while. We just throw them out when you leave."

Harry had stood there, with a similar expression to Mrs. Norkuss. Mouth gaping, and eyes wide, he was incapable of coherent speech to such random and unnecessarily blunt behavior. What Draco had said had some truth to it, but saying such things to poor, widowed and scared women was not acceptable. "M-Malfoy!"

"How could you-you...so that was pointless!?" Hazel shrieked out.

Without awaiting an answer she stomped out, slamming the door behind her, causing the blurred glass that served as a window on it to rattle violently. Harry twirled dramatically to face his partner, whom he was furious with. He certainly let it show. "Malfoy! What the bloody hell was that?"

Draco shrugged.

"You don't have anything to say for yourself? Oh and I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Howler. I'm sending Kingsley a memo about... this" Potter said, shaking his head in disbelief and waving a hand in reference to "this".

Malfoy sighed loudly and plopped down in the chair Norkuss had left. With another sigh he excused himself lazily, "Thought I'd try out honesty and see how it suits me."