Sequel: Fate's Cruel Hand
Status: Please give some honest feedback.

Life After You

Life After You

The waitresses and waiters dressed in white move around the venue, offering the clusters of guests champagne and canopies. Classical music plays in the background over the chatter of the guests. A table of engagement presents sits next to the unused stone fireplace, a table of canopies and finger-foods ready to be taken around the room.
Tonight is the night for celebrating the upcoming union of two people who are deeply in love. Kelly can't help but feel a little pang of jealousy at the thought of still being single at the age of thirty-seven. Marilyn, the bride to be greets Kelly with an enormous hug.

"I'm so glad you could make it. Tonight wouldn't be the same without you" Marilyn finally let's go and stands back to check out her best friend's dress.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world. You look amazing"

"So, where's your date?" Marilyn asks as they walk over to one of the circular tables by the bay windows.

"I don't have one. I'm not dating anyone right now"

"Are you sure you don't want me to organise a blind date? I mean you're gorgeous and all, but you are a bit..fussy"Marilyn probes.

Kelly laughs.

"I don't need to be set up on a blind date. I'm happy the way things are right now. Anyway, shouldn't you be sitting with your almost in-laws?"

Marilyn gives her a knowing look. She hadn't wanted a big expensive party in an extortionate hotel, but her in-laws had talked her into it. Marilyn would have preferred to have had a few close friends and family at their home, eating chinese take-out and drinking cheap wine.

"You know none of this was my idea, but Wayne's dad has a lot of big business connections and for some reason they are invited" Marilyn frowns.

Kelly had heard of some of Wayne's dad's contacts through word of mouth. She hated the fact that the family had taken away the special celebration away from Marilyn and Wayne.

"So, what happened to Michael?"

Kelly sips her champagne. She doesn't want to talk about herself or Michael for that matter, but knowing Marilyn she wouldn't let it go.

"We broke up." Kelly replies in a flat tone.

"No shit, sherlock" Marilyn grabs two flutes of champagne from a passing waiter."Are you going to tell me or do I have to physically twist your arm?"

"You know how he was a property developer?" A quick nod "He wanted me to move to Tokyo for five years until his company finished a project"

"Wow. Japan" Marilyn tries to sound enthusiastic.

"There was no way I was going"
Kelly adds.

"Why not?" Marilyn says"You could have seen the world and it's not like Michael was broke either"

Kelly sighs heavily.

"I know, but I wouldn't be happy walking away from the practice. I've got a career here and I can't just throw everything I've worked for. It sounds selfish, but I don't think Michael really thought about the move"

"You're probably right. He was a nice guy, but money was more important" Marilyn agrees. "Come on, let's go get some food"
♠ ♠ ♠
Again, if anyone would like to see more you have to comment :) Things are going to get very interesting.