Sequel: Fate's Cruel Hand
Status: Please give some honest feedback.

Life After You

Life After You

The meal had ended on a high-note, everyone enjoying themselves and having eaten their fill. Wayne's family had organised a sophisticated and grand evening, but Marilyn went and booked a DJ which displeased Wayne's rich parents. Dance music blasts out of the amplified speakers, the disco lights flash and flicker in the darkened function room. Kelly goes up to the free bar that's located in a side room away from the celebrations. She orders her drinks and as she turns she crashes straight into someone, the drinks crashing to the floor.

"Shit, I'm sorry-"

"No it was my fault. I wasn't looking where I was going" they talk over each other, the apologies sincere.

They both look at each other not knowing what to say.
Jeremy rubs the back of his neck and apologises for walking straight into her. She accepts his apology, again the silence between them awkward.

"Hey" they look at Marilyn "I didn't know you guys know each other."

"I..uh..we-" Jeremy babbles, trying to think of something to say.

"We met a while ago at a charity auction" Kelly interrupts. A few more of his and her friends join in on the conversation and Marilyn seems pleased with the explanation and pulls Kelly away towards the
dance floor.

Jeremy can't help but watch her as he stands at the bar. He wipes his sweaty forehead with a napkin as Marilyn and Kelly lean in closely to talk. Occasionally they look over at him with serious expressions on their faces.
He panics. He had never told Wayne or anyone else about his separation from Stephanie or that he had spent a week in hospital after trying to take his own life. He loosens his top button and grabs a cold beer. He sucks it down like a hungry baby. He knows he shouldn't be drinking.
For the next hour Jeremy wanders between the tables of his friends and tries to join in on the conversations, but his mind is elsewhere.
He's worried in case Marilyn or Wayne or any other of their mutual friends question Kelly about how she knows him.
He fidgets with the strap on his watch and zones out of the environment.
He's scared to death if any of them find out.

***
She steps out onto the balcony and feels the cold breeze against her warm skin. Grabbing a few minutes of cool fresh air is exactly what she needs before returning to the party. Most of the guests are drunk or on their way to being very intoxicated. She had laughed like a hyena when one of Marilyn's cousins had tried to break dance in the middle of the dance floor and had demanded a dance off. Of course everyone agreed to it.
Kelly shakes her head as squeals of excitement and hilarity flood outside. She hears something behind her and turns round to see Jeremy.
He had removed his grey suit jacket has it slung over his shoulder.

"Enjoying yourself?" Kelly asks pleasantly. She never thought she would meet him at a function such as this. Marilyn or Wayne had never mentioned personally knowing Jeremy Renner.

"Sure. I want to apologise about earlier" Jeremy says. He hands her a flute of champagne.
Kelly notices that he isn't drunk but his eyes are glazed over.

"It's alright. I should have been looking where I was going. I'm such a clutz" she smiles politely.

"I also want to say thanks"
She looks at him. She has no idea why he needs to thank her.

"Thanks for what?"

"For not..you know telling them." Jeremy says in a whisper as if he is afraid anyone might overhear him.
He steps closer to her, closing the gap between them. She can smell his aftershave and cigarettes. He drapes his coat over her shoulders. It's warm.

"I would never break confidentiality."
She says.

He swallows hard and leans into her, surprising her by kissing her tenderly on the lips. Kelly pulls away and looks at him. She can see sadness and confusion in his blue eyes that used to sparkle, but are now dull and full of pain.
She walks off.

Jeremy looks up to the sky and sighs heavily. He shakes his head. He can't believe he just kissed her.
As he walks back inside he feels something heavy weighing in his chest. He feels sick to his stomach.

What did he just do?
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so what do you think will happen in the next chapter? This may be the last chapter until after the holidays, but I will do my best to update when I can.

I wish everyone an excellent and extremely wonderful christmas!!!