Sequel: Fate's Cruel Hand
Status: Please give some honest feedback.

Life After You

Life After You

"How have you been since our last meeting?"Kelly asks her first patient of the day

Allan Goldie wasn't seeing goblins or having hallucinations and just wanted someone to talk to, to help him through his dramatic change in lifestyle.

"I've been stressing out like a crazy person" he continues in a thick Southern accent "The house is up for sale and already people are coming by to view it"

Kelly listens.

"I don't want people to come by in case they want to buy it. It's our- my home"

"What's really holding you back? The fact that it's your home or a piece of your life with Beryl?"

He looks down and picks at a scab on the back of his hand. Allan Goldie is what Kelly's father would call a man's man. He went hunting and fishing with his two sons whenever they could and owned his own garage. Everything was perfect until the morning his wife, Beryl told him that she was leaving with the kids.

"It's always been our house" he mumbles

"You said you agreed that the separation was needed. Do you still feel that way or has it changed?"

"It's changed. I've been a good husband and a good father. I've provided for my kids and gave Beryl the world, but it's now not good enough" He replies angrily."I blame that god damn church and those do gooders. They filled her head with nonsense. She was out most nights at meetings and the boys missed their momma. When I told her that, she went nuts saying that she'd found God and she is his servant"

"You said they filled her head with nonsense. Like what?" Kelly asks.

"She started holding bible meetings at the house. She baked for them, volunteered at the homeless shelter and made generous donations. She got too friendly with them and they conned her. Know what they told her? That she's too good for me and this life. Now she's shacked up with one of them"

Kelly sighs gently. She can understand his resentment towards the people who had influenced his wife so suddenly. In his eyes, God is just as guilty as the people who influenced Beryl

The session ends with Allan Goldie feeling a lot calmer than he had been when he walked into the practice. He accepted the sleeping pills and anti-anxiety medication and promised he would take them every day. Kelly could see that he was hurting and when he spoke about his two sons, his heart was clearly breaking.
His wife had up and left him, whether the church she attended had any influence on it or not, but she had made her decision. Another decision she had made was to fight for custody, claiming that her soon to be ex-husband wasn't a good father or husband and she had witnesses to prove it.

Allan had spoke at great length about the custody fight and divorce. It was killing him inside to be without his two kids.

****
The blare of a commercial drowns out the soft snores. The light from the television casts soft shadows against his face, his forearm over his eyes and one hand subconsciously down the waistband of his sweat pants. He had spent most of the day on the phone to his agent, discussing a new movie role that was still in the early stages. It would be another good opportunity for him and the fans that literally stalked his acting career. They all wanted to see more of him.
Dinner had been a microwave macaroni that he picked at and pushed around the plate. He didn't feel like eating or doing anything. He didn't even answer one of his buddy's phone calls.
He just wanted to be left alone.