Sequel: Fate's Cruel Hand
Status: Please give some honest feedback.

Life After You

Life After You

It's early evening and it's warm, perfect to sit outside on the grass with a good book and a glass of wine. She can smell that one of her neighbours are having a barbecue, that smoky charcoal smell blowing in the breeze. Her stomach rumbles as she walks into the hallway of her home. Complete silence. She hates it when everything is so quiet.

She throws her coat over the arm of the sofa and dumps her briefcase on the cushion.

"Jeremy?" She calls out.

No answer.

Fear grips her, her mind thinking all kind of crazy thoughts. He had promised her he would never try and hurt himself again, but she knows deep down that if a person feels so bad about themselves, they'll break whatever promises they've made.
Kelly walks into the kitchen and sighs with relief at the sight of Jeremy sitting on the stone bench at the bottom of her garden next to the fish pond. He sits with his head in his hands, his eyes squeezed shut.

"Jeremy?" Kelly says softly "What's wrong?"

He doesn't say anything.

"What's happened?" She pleads with him. "You're scaring me"

With a sigh he looks up and sucks his top lip in, rubbing his hands together like he's trying to smooth out the palms.

"I should have told you something" he says. She knows by the glazed look in his eyes he's still taking the prescription pills. She should have noticed! "I should have told you before we got together, but I didn't wanna blow things"

"It can't be that bad. We will deal with it. Whatever it is"

He gives her a sad smile as she takes his hand into hers. She wants to be there for him as much as she can, however she can.

"A while ago Susan said I should give this rehab clinic a try. She said she'd set everything up, but it would take a while. She called earlier"
Jeremy blows out his cheeks and stares off into the pond.

"And?" She presses.

"They've got a place for me right away."

"That's good. It means you'll be able to get the help you need."

"I don't want to lose you" He whispers, his eyes watery and a brighter colour.

"You are not going to lose me, Jeremy. I'll be right here when you get back." She squeezes his hand reassuringly and kisses his knuckles.

"Promise?"

"I promise"

The airport terminal is bustling with commuters, business people going to meetings out of state, families flying out to visit relatives or to go on vacation. Airport security and armed police officers heavily patrol and secure the airport against potential terrorist attacks, a thing that made everyone's blood run cold. They sit together in the busy waiting area, everyone eager for their flight to be called so they can perhaps relax and stop worrying about last minute glitches, the kind of problems that only arise last minute. Jeremy's leg subconsciously bounces up and down, his eyes scanning the overhead screens for last minute delays or customer announcements.

"Relax" Kelly soothes placing a hand on his thigh.

He looks at her, worried that history may repeat itself.

"Sorry. I'm just nervous"

"It's fine. You'll be back here with me in no time" she kisses his freshly shaven face.

"Do you really mean that?"

"Of course I do."

He tries his best to give her a smile, to relax her. They both jump as the flight New Hampton is being called, two parents rustle up their three kids and hand-luggage and head for the gate.

They walk slowly hand in hand. There's plenty of time since the flight is busy. He stops and turns to her. They kiss passionately and pull apart as the flight is called for the last time. Several minutes have passed, but it seems like mere seconds.

"Kelly, there's something I want to say" he says quietly, caressing her cheek and looking into her eyes. She's trying not to cry. She's trying to be strong for him. "I love you"

"I love you too" she whispers through choked tears.

Kelly hugs herself as she watches Jeremy walk towards the gate, handing over his ticket and sadly looking back at her. She waves at him as he disappears into the tunnel. As soon as he is gone she cries. A few people look at her if she has grown two heads, steering themselves away from the crazy lady who is crying.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments, feedback...whatever you want!