Sequel: Fate's Cruel Hand
Status: Please give some honest feedback.

Life After You

Life After You

The audition had gone well despite the fact that Jeremy's potential character was a cop who is investigating the brutal rape and death of a thirteen year old girl. He realised before his audition he had only been sent the lines he had to rehearse, a scene where he broke the news to the girl's parents. He was told he would know more if he got the part.

Slightly hungry, Jeremy grabs a sandwich from a nearby deli and sits by the window as he eats. Realising how demanding a role this movie could be makes him want to actually be the character. As normal he would research such cases, watch documentaries on the true crime channel to learn how to become and act like he really knew what he was talking about when it came to complicated scenes. He sends Kelly a message, telling her that he gave the audition his best shot and he'll be at Marilyn's in a couple of hours, knowing that the he's a good few miles away and has to drive on country road.

***

The three of them sit in the conservatory, a glass of wine each and some nibbles to keep themselves from raiding the fridge while they wait on Jeremy. Kelly and Marilyn sit together on the wicker style couch talking about the wedding that Marilyn is dreading. Wayne tries to reassure his bride to be that his mother won't spoil their day and tells her he has already spoken to Marjorie, telling her politely to back off. Misty, a sad looking greyhound is curled protectively at Wayne's feet. Every time he moves she checks on him.

"So, how are things with you and Jeremy?" Wayne asks as he takes out a cigar from a wooden box.

"We're doing great. We owe it to you both for pushing us together"

Wayne flashes he a devilish grin.

"You owe us nothing. We were glad we could make you both happy." Marilyn answers happily.

"All the same I'm glad we have friends like you."

Marilyn brushes off the compliment and reaches for her half empty glass. Their home is absolutely gorgeous, contemporary and modern, but still inviting. Kelly had joked that she was going to steal the glass tiger that sits on the hearth of the marble fireplace in the sitting room.
Wayne gets up and exits the conservatory to enjoy his weekly cigar in the fresh air. Marilyn had put her foot down to him smoking in the house, the smell lingering for days wasn't something she wanted to wake up to every day. The two women gossip about the usual girly things that men would probably be shocked to hear.

"I'm really glad the rehab worked out for Jeremy, you know. I dread to think what was going to happen to him if he kept drinking and taking those awful pills" Marilyn admits, the strong sense of worry radiating from her like a blazing fire.

They had been friends for many years, had met at a charity evening that was set up to raise money for a children's cancer charity. The dinner and presentation had made almost everyone weep at the stories from families who had lost their children to cancer. Everyone donated however much they could, every cent making that much more of a difference. Marilyn was on the committee who had arranged the whole event and had admitted that she had been completely overwhelmed by everyone. At the end of the evening, Jeremy had pulled her aside and talked to her for almost an hour before he finally produced a cheque for half a million dollars. She had cried at his generosity an knew that this wasn't some publicity stunt that she had been caught in the middle of.
That was six years ago, a lot of things had changed during that time, but they had remained close as ever.

"I know you said everything is great between you and Jeremy, but there's something bothering you"

Kelly wants to slap her friend for being right once again. Something is bothering her and has done for weeks, but in her head it sounded silly and not worth spending time over it.

"Come on, you know you can tell me anything." Marilyn continues to
probe.

"I keep asking myself if I'm doing the right thing" Kelly chews on the inside of her lip, feeling silly.

"With Jeremy?"

Kelly silently nods.

"Is it because he used to be your client?"

Another sad nod. Now she feels she's being ridiculous for having reservations.

"Honey, I'm a great believer in fate and you and Jeremy has happened for a reason. It's like you were meant to meet. He was your patient, not anymore. There's nothing to say that it isn't allowed" Marilyn says.

"I know, but I still feel as I've abused my position and what if he has a relapse? I can't help him the way I used to"

"He's crazy about you and that's more powerful than all the pills and booze."

*****

He taps his fingers on the steering wheel along to a cheesy country song that is playing on the radio. He's never heard it before, but he likes how catchy it is and how simple it seems to be. He's been driving for almost an hour and a half, enjoying the radio playing and the wind as it sweeps and swirls from the open window. Just cruising around and listening to music is something he hadn't been enjoying recently, but the smell of the sandy road changes his mind.
Jeremy turns the radio down as he approaches a T junction. He's weary of getting too close to the edge of the road, barriers acting as a mini-wall to stop cars from driving straight down into the embankment of trees and boulders.

He presses on the gas and yawns, sleepy after eating a huge sandwich and a sneaky desert. Laying down on the sofa sounds like a much better idea than driving.
He's half way across the junction when he spots a swerving car approaching him in the opposite direction. He stops dead and wonders if the driver is alright, the driving erratic and dangerous.
Suddenly the oncoming car slams into the front of the hood at a great speed, knocking his own car over the edge of the barricade and down the slope. The crunching of metal and shattering glass goes off like bombs in Jeremy's ears as the car flips and rolls, travelling further down the slope in a bed. His head smashes against the steering wheel, bouncing off the roof. The car crashes into trees and rocks, parts of metal leaving behind a trail in it's wake.

The car comes to a standstill against a large tree, the vehicle almost completely crushed and mangled, a cloud of steam from the radiator leaking into the air. Blood is splashed across the windscreen, an unconscious Jeremy trapped inside
♠ ♠ ♠
I sadly announce that this is the last chapter.