Sequel: Fate's Cruel Hand
Status: Please give some honest feedback.

Life After You

Life After You

It feels as if the weight of the world is resting on his shoulders. A freight train is crashing through his head at two-hundred miles an hour and he can't seem to pull the brakes. He feels hollow, numb. He stares into space as every thought swallows him whole, silently drowning him. The lights are on but nobody's home.

"Jeremy?" He hears his name being called from the side. He doesn't know what he's looking at. "How are you feeling?"

It's Kelly. He barely hears her as the tidal wave in his head collapses over his senses. He feels a cold hand on his forearm. Slowly he turns to look at her. His eyes watery and puffy.

"You gave me quite a scare back there." Kelly says gently "I'm glad you're alright."

He nods slowly.

"The doctor told me that you took enough pills to knock out a baby elephant." Kelly looks into his eyes and doesn't seen the little twinkle. "How's your throat?"

Instinctively he swallows and feels as if he's swallowed razor blades.

"Dr Giles said that you won't speak to any of the psychiatrists here. I'm hoping that you'll maybe talk to me"

Another slow nod.

"Alright. What's going on in your head?"
Jeremy licks his dry lips. He doesn't know where to start.

"Everything" He pauses"Shit, I've never felt so bad"

"What's making you feel bad, Jeremy?"
His lips are pursed together, a heavy frown."The longer you bottle it up the worse it's going to make you feel"

"I just feel broken. Kind of torn in half."Jeremy begins. "I guess I feel cheated 'cause things were going great. Then it stopped being so great"

"Is that why you took those pills and drank?" Kelly asks.

"Yeah. I'm..sorry for you know, worrying
you" his eyes soften.

"Why didn't you call someone?"Kelly says

"I didn't know who to call" Jeremy replies sadly.

"If you ever feel like that again you call me. Okay?"

He nods.

"I mean it,Jeremy. It doesn't matter what time it is or if I'm at the office or at home. You call me" Kelly scribbles down her private cell-phone number and leaves it on the adjustable table next to
a glass of water.

"Thanks"