Remind Me

Chapter 10

“Have you said anything to him about it?” James could hear his moms voice speak down the hall.

“No, I feel it would be easier to just take him.” He then heard Kayli’s voice.

“Yeah maybe you’re right.” Deborah spoke.

“Good morning.” His sleepy smile greeted them in the kitchen.

“Good morning” They both shot back quickly, feeling as if they had been caught doing something bad.

“Am I interrupting something?” James asked suspiciously, pulling a coffee mug from the cupboard.

“No, nothing…coffee?” Kayli quickly filled the mug he had in his hand.

“So when are we going?” He asked Kayli eagerly.

“After breakfast…?” She half asked, half suggested.

“Yeah, sounds good.” He smiled

James ate breakfast so quickly he made himself feel sick or possibly it could be the nerves about seeing Kelsey. He got himself ready as quickly as possible; he looked in the mirror and thought about all the questions he would ask her. Had she gotten married? Did she have children? Was she single? Was she still living in Pittsburgh? He had so many questions to ask her he wasn’t sure where he would begin when he saw her. He felt uneasy all of a sudden. How did they end things? If he did the math correctly him and Kayli must’ve only gotten married a year after the last moments he remembered that were with Kelsey.

“Ready?” Kayli asked nervously.

“Yeah.” He replied in a similar tone

Kayli drove down the streets of Pittsburgh until they reached their destination. James looked out the window confused. Why would they be here? This couldn’t be right he thought. Did she work here? That must be it! But on Christmas Eve that seemed strange. He thought about all the possible reasons they could be at this place. There were so many logical reasons to be at this place he thought.

As Kayli turned into the snowy paths of Allegheny Cemetery, she sighed. This was it, time for the truth she dreaded this moment. If it were the only way she could get her husband, back she would try anything. She put the car in park and looked over at his confused face. It was that time, the time to tell him the heartbreaking story of Kelsey.

“Kayli why are we at a cemetery?” He asked with caution.

“Because this is where Kelsey lays to rest.” She hung her head.

“What do you mean, lays to rest?” He asked concerned

“Kelsey passed away 11 years ago.” She said and began to cry.

Kayli felt awful, her heart hurt for him in this moment. Someone he loved very much was gone. What made her feel worse was that his last memories of her were when she was alive and they were together happy and healthy. He opened the car door and stepped out into the cold December air. She followed him out and began to lead him to Kelsey’s gravestone. They walked down a few gravestones and then there it was in plain sight with the words “Kelsey Ann Glanville, 1988- 2015, Daughter, Sister, Friend”. He stood there in disbelief, how could this be? Kayli let him take it in; when he was ready he’d start asking questions, he would and she would be ready. She hoped that she had all the answers.

“How?” Was the only thing he uttered and it almost came out as a sob.

“She was sick James.” She said quietly.

“How sick?” He began to feel anger, how could this be. She was healthy, happy, filled with life.

“She had brain cancer, it was terminal.” Tears feel down her face. Remembering everything he didn’t.

“How long was she sick?”

“About a year when it got serious, she knew for a while but didn’t tell you till about the last year of her life.” She looked over at his sadden face.

“How do you know all of this?” He asked feeling confused.

“She told me all of this, we grew close in her final months. James we began dating while she was sick.” She told him and his face puzzled.

“What do you mean we were together while she was sick!?” He felt angry with himself, how could he enter a new relationship when his fiancé was sick?

“She wanted you to find someone else, it was her last and only wish to see you happy with someone before she died. She broke up with you when she was getting too sick. Kelsey asked you to find someone new because eventually she would have no idea who you were and she knew you would need someone to help you through this. She’s the reason we are together. She gave you back the ring on my finger on her final days and told you to give it to me.” She paused and he grabbed her hand. For the first time he really looked at the rings he gave her in symbol of their love. It was Kelsey’s ring.

“But…But.” He muttered and Kayli stopped him.

“You were by her bedside in her last moments” She reassured him that he had been there for Kelsey till the end.

Then he began to really sob. He cried hard, Kayli wrapped her arms tightly around her husband. He was hurting all over again. She only hoped that it wouldn’t be like the last time. When Kelsey died James shut himself off from everything for a solid month. It was the hardest month of his life. She didn’t want to see him like that ever again, seeing him hurt was too much. In this time in place she didn’t know if she could handle him hurt like that again with all that was going on. She knew if he were going to shut himself off her whole world would crumble around her. She wouldn’t be able to do it this time; with kids it was much too hard. She didn’t want to be selfish but all she had been for the past few months was be selfless. She couldn’t give one more part of herself away for fear she would lose her identity as well.

“Thank you” He sobbed and looked into her red teary blue eyes with his.

“For what?” She asked confused.

“For saving me. I have a strong feeling you were the reason I was able to be happy again and be with someone the way I was with Kelsey. And I know that you’ll save me again this time. You are incredible Kayli Neal. Thank you really truly thank you. We will get through this together ” He smiled through the tears.

“You’re welcome.” And then it happened, it took her a moment to realize what was happening but it was. James’ cold lips were pressed firmly against hers and all she could do was stand there in disbelief, the moment she yearned for so badly was happening and she stood there not reacting. He pulled away and hurt overtook his face. Quickly she realized what she had done and wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed her lips to his and he responded back. Slowly the snow began to fall around them, large fluffy white snowflakes. It was truly a magical moment. All of the feelings and passion they had for each other was in that kiss.

“I need you Kayli. I need you to help me through a difficult time just one more time. I need to remember how much I loved you; I need do that for you. There are so many things I need to do. I’m going to need your help.” He said his breath heavy. She looked at him with all of her love and nodded. They stood there in embrace for a while. Kayli needed to feel this.

Even though Kelsey wasn’t there physically she was there in spirit bringing together one more time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading!

Please comment and subscribe