Remind Me

Chapter 4

James woke up covered in sweat breathing heavily. He looked at around and didn’t recognize his surroundings. It took him a few minutes to register where he was. He was in his home. Where in his home he wasn’t sure? He was alone in a dark bedroom. Moments later he heard cries of a baby coming from down the hall and when he realized it was his baby he began to cry himself. In the past few days James had cried more than he had in his entire life. He was in a house full of strangers but he wasn’t a stranger to them. He was their husband and father.

The crying stopped and he climbed out of bed and walked down the hall. Down the hall he saw a faint light coming out of one of the bedrooms. Quietly he made his way to the room and walked in. He took in the surroundings. The room was a pale purple with dark wood furnishings. On the north wall held a large crib with a beautiful silky pony mobile dangling over top. Large bookshelves, armoires and dressers were placed around the room. In the right corner he noticed a figure sitting there.

“Oh my gosh!” He shouted “I’m so sorry!” He looked away from Kayli who had been sitting there quietly nursing their baby girl. She had been watching him look around the room curiously.

“James its okay, I’m just feeding her.” She laughed.

“Yeah, but I shouldn’t have seen you like that…” Quickly shutting up after he realized what he said when he saw Kayli’s face fall. “I don’t mean it like that, ugh...I just mean...I don’t know” He was frustrated he didn't know how to act with his own wife.

“James settle down, come here.” She gestured toward for him to take a seat on the foot rest that is in front of the large glider chair.

He walked up to the foot rest and took a seat. She covered herself as she noticed James kept staring at his feet awkwardly.

“I’m really sorry Kayli...I didn’t mean to walk in on you feeding her.” He said shyly.

“It’s okay really. Before the accident we used to sit her together late at night and talk while I feed Emmy.” She explained some of their past habits.

“What would we talk about?” he asked genuinely curious. He wanted nothing more than to remember this life he built with this woman in front of him.

“We would talk about our day mostly. With four kids it’s hard to have a normal conversation. You would usually talk about your recent road trip or game. I would talk about what the kids were up to mostly.” She said quietly

“Well what about you? What would you talk about when it came to yourself?” He asked honestly.
Kayli was surprised by this question she had forgotten to think about herself in the past years. That she didn't even know how to answer his question. Her world revolved around their children bringing them to school and after school activities that they participated in.

“I guess I never really did anymore, my life has revolves around these kids.” She sighed. She just came to her own realization, her family was growing but she wasn’t growing as her own person. Her only titles were Mother and Wife. Most women had a career in this decade, a hobby or some recreational thing they enjoyed to do. Kayli enjoyed many things but as her family grew her love for other things diminished

“Well what did you like to do before you had a family?” He asked her as if he was an outsider. Right now he truly was. He was on the outside looking in.

“I had a career in marketing for a local company here in Pittsburgh. I also loved to craft it took my mind if off of all my stress. The mobile hanging over Emmy’s crib, I made it.” She appreciated that James was making an effort in trying to get to know her again. Before the accident he sort of forgotten to ask her the little things, they had just gotten into a comfortable routine.

“The mobile is beautiful you have a lot of talent it was the first thing I noticed. What about your career? What do you mean by had?”

“I left my career after Avia was born. It began to be too much when I had Nash going to preschool, a newborn and you who was gone most of the time. I just had no place for a career in my life anymore.” She explained.

“Did you like your job?”

“I loved it.” She said. James face fell as if he took the blame for her leaving a job she loved. She noticed his expression and quickly chimed in. “but not as much as I love being a wife and a mother. My family...our family is more important than some job.”

“I know these past few days have been hard and I can only imagine the past month for you but I really want to remember everything. I want to be able to think back about our memories and our life. This is just a lot for me to take in. I know absolutely nothing about anyone in this house. I don’t even know how get to this house let alone go anywhere from here.”

“Listen James it’s going to take time and patience. Mine may wear thin sometimes, but we’ll get through this.” She paused trying to reassure him “Together”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well it has been forever since I updated this. Sorry :( Not that I haven't thought about it. I'm gonna try to update my other story also that hasn't been updated in forever and a half.

Thank you for reading!!