Remind Me

Chapter 6

Standing at the front door getting ready to say goodbye to James’ parents, meant that James and Kayli would be on their own. Just the two of them left to deal with this unexpected devastating issue that has left James with the loss of his memories. Everyone knew it would get increasingly difficult when James would start to miss hockey and Kayli dreaded that day.

“I know it’s not going to be easy James but try your best. They deserve at least that.” James’ dad Peter said as they loaded up the car.

“You’re right. The kids is the easy part, I love them no matter what even if I’m missing their entire lives. It’s Kayli that’s going to be the hard part. I have to fall in love with her all over again.” He sighed feeling tons of emotions and trying not to let them show through. This was the first time he had spoken this thought since he found out about his life he never knew he had.

“James all I can tell you is the last ten years Kayli has been in our lives you have never loved anyone more than her.” Peter tried to reassure him with his own memories.

“But what about Kelsey?” He questioned about the woman he was originally supposed to marry.

“James I think you should ask Kayli those questions.” Peter tried to stay away from the Kelsey subject as much as he could.

“I guess.” He said loading the last bag in the car.

Goodbyes where said and tears were shed. James’ parents hoped everything would be okay with their son and his family but no one could know for sure. It was too soon to tell it had only been a couple days since he’d been home. Christmas was soon and they would be back to see any progress he’d make.

***
The house fell to an awkward silence it was just James and Kayli along with their four kids; Nash, Avia, Cam and Emmy. This was it, time to rebuild their family a day at a time and this would be day one.

“Well I’m going to go start some laundry, kids why don’t you go play.” Kayli said and headed to go collect everybody’s laundry. She didn’t know where to start with James so she decided busying herself with household chores would help her avoid the situation for now and give her a moment to collect her thoughts.

As everyone dispersed James stood there looking around not knowing what to do with himself. Standing there for another few seconds he went and grabbed his laptop. In the search engine he typed Pittsburgh penguins 2012. He began to learn about the past events in his playing career; 2016 won Stanley cup; 2018 got to play in the Olympics with team Canada; 2019 suffered many injuries that kept him out most of the season; 2025 having one of the best season starts of his career. There were many more but those were the ones that stood out to him clearly there had been many highs and lows in his career but mostly highs. Closing his laptop feeling he had taken in enough information he went to see what his kids were doing.

He sees three of his kids playing, little Emmy is up in her crib sleeping soundly. He looks over at Nash and Cam playing on the floor with cars, amazed at them getting along he and his brothers would never get along like his two boys were currently doing. Then he sees Avia sitting at the table by herself colouring quietly. He takes a set next to her and looks at all the pages splayed out in front of the little four year old girl.

“What are you drawing?” he asked

“You, Mommy, me, Cam, Nash and Mommy is holding baby Emmy like she always does.” She explained to the best of her four year old ability.

“We don’t look very happy.” He said noticing the frowns on the faces she drew.

“Nobody’s been happy since you went to the hospital.” She said not looking up at him but continuing to colour. The sky on her picture was dark and no sunshine to be found in the anywhere at all.

“Avia, things will be better.” He tried to reassure her. Everyone had been trying to reassure him, now he had to do it for his kids. Avia couldn’t express herself to her full potential due to the vocabulary that still needed time to grow. She spoke well but the best way to fully express her feelings was through the pictures she drew.

“When?” She looked up at him with her pale green eyes full of sadness. Out of all the children she seemed the most affected by James’ accident.

“I don’t know, but one day they will. For now how about we draw together?” He said pushing her brown hair behind her ears.

“Okay.” She gave a faint smile.

***
Kayli went to go check on the kids and the sight she saw before her brought her to tears, James and Avia sitting on the floor together laughing and colouring. To her it looked like a portrait them sitting there enjoying their time together all smiles. It was the first time she really saw Avia smile and laugh since James’ accident. The little girl that was once so sad was smiling again. She looked like the child she knew; her green eyes bright again, hair shining and a big smile on her face. The four year old was so close to her father that when she got the news about her dad she stopped being the child she once was to a sad quite lonely child that only expressed herself through the paintings she made.

“Daddy?” She asked James.

“Yes.” He answered smiling at her with love in his eyes.

“I missed you.” She looked at him in his blue grey eyes.

“I know baby. I missed you too.” He said. The words fell so naturally out of his mouth. Even though he didn’t remember his children, he wished he could. He couldn’t imagine his life without these kids he was surrounded by.

“Mom, why are you crying?” Nash’s voice spoke out loud. They all look over at Kayli whose eyes are glistening with tears. James got up walked over to her.

“Are you okay?” He asked putting his hand on her shoulder their first real physical contact since he came home.

“Yeah, I just haven’t seen Avia so happy since the accident and you’re the one to make it happen. Thank you.” She expressed her gratitude towards him.

“How about we talk about our situation soon? We haven’t gotten a chance yet.” He proposed time together. He needed to try with Kayli, not for him but for her and their kids. He needed to fall back in love with her. There is a possibility he may never remember the last ten years but he needed to make sure the next ten will be the best ones of his life.

“That’d be great.” She smiled tears still trickling down her face.

“Perfect how about Friday. We can go to dinner to talk then maybe go to the pens game. I know someone who has connections over there.” He joked.

“That sounds perfect.” She giggled

It was just the beginning but it was a good start.
♠ ♠ ♠
What is going to happen with this Kelsey business? Will she come back? Will she cause problems?

Thank you for reading!
Please comment and subscribe!