Remind Me

Chapter 7

The week went on with no problems because everyone seemed to dance around the elephant in the room. The elephant being the memory loss from a car accident that happened just over a month ago that has become James Neal’s life. It was now Friday and it was the day James promised to Kayli that they would step away from the house and talk to each other about the situation at hand, with no interruptions.

“We should be back around ten Megan.” Kayli told the babysitter.

Kayli turned to the door and James smiled at her. He felt himself attracted to her; she wore a white blazer with the sleeves rolled up three quarters of the way up her arm, a dark green flowy blouse tucked into dark blue jeans, nude pointed toe pumps and gold jewelry to finish it all off. Her blonde hair was down in soft curls and makeup was natural with a burgundy lip. He felt really attracted to her, she is beautiful.

“You ready?” She asked the man that stared her and he nodded in his dark blue jeans and a dark grey cashmere sweater that collared at the neck with two large buttons at the opening of the V flap.

Arriving at the restaurant bore a feeling of relief for the couple. The entire drive there they both wished they could be abducted by aliens to get out of the awkwardness that surrounded them. Now it was time to get it over with, which is in a way was a first date. In his memory he had just met Kayli and for her it was the James of ten years ago which she had not known quite as well as the James of the current year.

***
“Don’t know how we should start this, where do you want to start?” She asked sipping on her glass of chardonnay.

“I guess we could start at the last thing I can remember clearly?” He proposed.

“Okay, what do you remember last?” She asked hesitant.

“Umm… I remember Kelsey.” He said referring to the girl he was engaged to before he had met the woman in front of him.

“I don’t think Kelsey is a good idea right now?” She said feeling uneasiness about the topic of Kelsey.

“Okay.” He didn’t want to push the subject. In a way it wasn’t fair that his current wife had to explain what happened to his ex-fiancé, maybe she didn’t know where Kelsey was maybe he should ask someone else.

“How about we start at the beginning of us?” She smiled kindly. She wasn’t ready for the Kelsey conversation and wanted him to remember herself and him as a couple.

“Okay, tell me about the day we met.” He insisted.

“Alright where to start, well it all started in a coffee shop….”

*Flashback*

October 1st 2015

Kayli stood by the window of a local coffee shop with a latte in her hand looking through the book selection they carried. It was a small coffee shop that had a small clientele but a dedicated one. James Neal so happened to be one of those dedicated customers.

The bell above the door rang when he entered and the few people who sat at the small tables looked up to see who the customer was and started to whisper at the entrance of a famous NHL player, except for the girl who stood by the window looking through the sparse selection of novels. He stared at her the sun hitting her made the girl look angelic. Blonde hair shinning as the sun bounced off of the golden hue, brown leather jacket giving her an edge like a cool angel and the brown boots tucked into jeans that hit right below her knee made him feel like she was a laid back personality, well there was only one way to find out. He made his way across the shop and spoke to her for the first time.

“Their collection is very minimal.” He said nodding to the books. She looked up with ocean blue eyes he was taken aback by her beauty.

She had high cheek bones that were rosy, her skin looked so soft. The nose was slender and symmetrical with the rest of her face and her lips, oh those lips if it was appropriate he would kiss them right now even if she was a complete stranger.

“Yeah but they have some classics.” She smiled.

“The Great Gatsby, I’m sure you read it in high school?” He said with a sly smile.

“I did, I’ve read it a few times since then too. As I get older I understand the story more and it’s different every time.” She said almost demeaning.

“Oh well I’m not one for reading.” He smiled awkwardly. It was the first time a woman made him feel beneath him. James Neal met his match.

“I can tell.” She insulted him.

“Ha.” He said rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

“Well if you don’t mind I’m going to purchase this book since I lost my copy.” She said and headed to the cash.

Kayli began to walk out of the coffee shop and James ran out after her.

“Hey!” He shouted. She turned around and looked at him almost as if she wanted him to explode into a million pieces right in front of her.

“What?” She asked annoyed.

“Why haven’t I seen you here before?”

“’cause it’s my first time here.” She said matter-of-factly.

“Ah, not very many people come here.” He tried to explain.

“What is it some kind of exclusive club?” She laughed.

“No.” He said seriously.

“Well if you don’t mind I’m going to leave now.” She said

“Okay well I hope to see you here again.” He smiled

“Maybe you will, maybe you won’t.” She smiled turning on her heels and walking away.

James ran back in to the coffee shop purchased a copy of The Great Gatsby and kicked himself for not getting her number or even her name.

*end of flashback*

“Wow you were a real jerk to me.” He laughed.

“I guess I kind of was.” She laughed as well.

“Thank you for telling me that story Kayli.” He said grateful.

“You’re welcome, we should head home it’s getting late.” She said.

“Yeah.” He said almost disappointed.

***
“Well Kayli thank you for tonight. This was a great second first date.” He gave her a goofy smile, standing outside the bedroom door.

“So this was a date?” She questioned surprised.

“I’d like to think so.” He smiled shyly.

“Me too.” She said walking into her room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading.

Please comment and subscribe.

Ren