Remind Me

Chapter 8

The next morning Kayli woke up with a smile on her face, last night went so well. Still high from her “Second first date” with James, she was quickly brought back to reality when the baby monitor started to go off. She went into Emmy’s room and began to go to each of her other three children’s rooms to wake them. She was surprised to not find them in their beds, her kids loved to sleep in but this morning she could hear their faint giggles downstairs. Downstairs in the kitchen she found the three oldest sitting at the kitchen island along with James eating breakfast. He had made eggs, toast and bacon for them.

“Good morning!” He smiled to her and got up. He started to fix Kayli a plate for breakfast and handed it to her.

“Thank you.” She smiled back.

“Coffee?” He asked

“Yes please” Kayli was surprised; the last time James had made her breakfast they had no children yet. She never resented him for not doing the small things anymore; they were always too busy to worry about little gestures. She understood, this was the life she was given and was happy to have it. Although part of her was happy that they would get a new start. Kayli was excited to tell him all about their life, it was here favourite story. The only piece of information she was afraid to talk about was Kelsey.

“Nash get ready, you have your last hockey practice before Christmas.” Kayli instructed.

“Okay” He said and ran up the stairs. James smiled to himself, happy that the tradition of playing hockey still continued on with his own family.

* * *
The family filed out of the large SUV and into the arena for Nash’s hockey practice.

“Dad, Can you help me with my equipment?” The oldest boy asked.

“Yes, of course I will!” James smiled he, always dreamed of helping his son get ready for hockey. Although this felt like the first time for him it was the hundredth for Nash.

James helped Nash with his equipment and tied his skates. A few parents said “hi” to James. He had no idea who they were but was still kind and respond with a “hello” back.

“Alright buddy, I expect you to work hard out there.” He said in a fatherly tone that he never knew he had and surprised himself.

“I know dad you say this to me every time.” Nash rolled his eyes. James laughed, even though he doesn’t ever recall saying that, still without knowing parts of his parenting style came out. Nash waited by the ice rink doors waiting for the Zamboni to get off the ice and James joined the rest of his family.

“How did it go?” Kayli asked as he sat next to her. As she watched Avia and Cam play in the rows of seats below them.

“Good, apparently parts of me are still here, I just don’t remember them.” He smiled

“What do you mean?” She asked quizzically.

“Hi Kayli, hello James glad to see you back here.” A man approximately the same age as James interrupted. They both responded with a hello then James turned to Kayli to ask.

“Who’s that?”

“That’s Coach Tyler Nolan and he’s also Nash’s friend Kayden’s dad.” She explained. Kayli began to realize she’s going to have to explain a lot of things to James. “Anyways you were saying?” Kayli was interested in hearing what he had meant part of him was still here.

“I told Nash that I expected him to work hard and he told me that I tell him that every time.” He laughed and Kayli laughed as well. “Where did you come up with the name Nash?” James asked.

“Actually you came up with it and oddly enough it was a bit of foreshadowing for our future.” Kayli told him happily.

“Foreshadowing?” He asked confused.

“Well a few years after he was born you got traded to Nashville, It was great few years but I’m glad to be back her in Pittsburgh.” She explained

“Oh yes! I remember reading about Nashville.” He remembered reading about it when he looked up his playing career.

“Do you miss it?” she asked afraid of his answer, she wanted it to be a no so they could focus on getting him to remember.

“Miss what?” He asked confused.

“Hockey.” She confirmed.

“No, not yet. I just want to focus on getting to remember.” His answer reassured her. It had lifted a weight off her shoulders, knowing that he was in the same boat as she was. However she knew it was a matter of time before he would start to miss it.

* * *
Kayli and James sat in the living room together she sat on the couch reading and he flipped through the television channels. The three older children played outside in the light snow that had recently fallen from the sky.

“Kayli do you know what happened to Kelsey?” He asked. It was the one thing he couldn’t get off his mind, Kelsey was also the last woman he remembers being involved with.

“It’s a really long story, that I don’t think you’re ready to hear.” She told him, her heart hurt for him.

“Okay.” He let it go. He figured it was cause she didn’t want to discuss his ex-fiancé with him.

“Well tell me about our first date then.” He smiled mischievously at her.

“Alright.”

*Flasback*

October 30th 2015

“Hey!” James shouted at the girl he’d be waiting to see back in the coffee shop again.

“Hi…” she looked at him confused

“You don’t remember me do you?” He said sadly.

“Oh no, I do. I’m just surprised you’re talking to me again. I was kind of an asshole to you.” She said apologetically.

“Yeah well, you challenged me in a way no one has ever challenged me again.” He said slyly.

“You’re used to getting what you want don’t you?” She asked in a mocking tone

“Maybe.” He answered sheepishly and she began to walk away.

“Wait! I read that book!” He called out and she stopped walking away.

“What book?” She asked confused.

“The Great Gatsby.” He reminded her.

“Oh yeah.” She thought back to the day she first met the man in front of her.

“What’s your name anyway? I forgot to ask last time.” He made sure to ask this time. He’d been going back to the coffee shop everyday he could, multiple times a day if possible, in hopes of seeing her again.

“Kayli, what’s yours?” As much as she hated to admit it she was attracted to him.

“James.” He said softly. Kayli stared at him for a minute and took in his thick dark hair, the slight ginger stubble growing from his face and his beautiful grey blue eyes.

“Well it’s nice to meet you James.” She smiled. Realizing he could be someone special to her.

“I was thinking maybe we could discuss this book.” He suggested trying to get a date with her.

“I’d like that.” She smiled, internally she was screaming with excitement. Kayli had just moved to Pittsburgh and so far things where going really well.

“How about tomorrow?” He asked.

“On Halloween, isn’t that like some bad omen?” She asked skeptically.

“Why not?” He raised his shoulders.

“Okay.” She smiled and took a pen out of her bag. With the pen she wrote her number on his inner wrist.

“Call me.” She said and she left the coffee shop.

October 31st 2015

James waited impatiently in the restaurant he had chosen to meet Kayli at. He was nervous she wasn’t going to show up. He sat there and kept checking his watch, every minute that went by felt like and eternity. Then there she was walking through the wooden doors of the restaurant. Her pale skin looked extra pale contrasting with the midnight blue colour of her dress and the black of her peep toe pumps. Kayli’s blond hair was curled around her face and on one side she French braided a piece of it. She sat across from him in the dimly lit restaurant. The server came buy and took her drink order.

“This place is nice.” She said looking around sipping on her red wine.

“Yeah my teammates and I come heat often.” He told her.

“Teammates?” she was confused, she didn’t know much about James.

“Yeah I play hockey.” He informed her.

“Oh in a men’s league?” She asked, assuming it was a hobby of his.

“I guess you could call the NHL that.” He laughed, her face turned bright red.

“I’m sorry I didn’t know.” She said embarrassed

“It’s okay, really. The nice thing about the NHL is you can get by quite often without getting recognized. Unless you’re Sidney Crosby.” He laughed again.

“So you play for the penguins then?” She tried to confirm.

“Yes I do. What do you do for a career?” He asked taking interest in her life.

“I’m in marketing.” She smiled. She loved her job and was always happy to talk about it.

All night they talked about their lives, their childhood, interests, favourite things and among many other details about themselves. The only thing they didn’t talk about was the book they had went there to discuss. They had completely forgotten about it. Kayli found herself becoming very interested in continuing to see James again. Although he was a typical athlete, he was kind, sweet and caring as well.

“Excuse me, the restaurant is closing now.” The server said to them.

“Oh wow it’s late.” Kayli said looking at the time.

“Oh yeah, I’ll pay then walk to your car.” He smiled.

Out in the parking lot James walked Kayli to her car.

“Thank you for tonight, I had a really great time.” She said getting into her Volkswagen Jetta.

“Me to, I hope to do it again.” He smiled hopefully.

“Yeah I’d like that.” She smiled genuinely.

*End of flashback*

“Thank you for telling me that story. Did we ever discuss the book?” He asked

“No we never did.” She said thinking back.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been awhile, I know. However I went back and read this story and remembered how much I loved it. So I've decided to continue it. I hope you are as excited as I am to see this story continue on. I've gone back and changed the dates to make it more current.

Thank you,
please let me know how you feel about the revival of this story :)