Remind Me

Chapter 9

It was two days before Christmas and James’ family was due to arrive any minute. The past few days had gone by smoothly, James was adapting to what he thought was his new life, except it wasn’t new…it was old, a life he’d been living for the past ten years. Unfortunately there was no sign of James remembering anytime soon. Kayli had shown him pictures of their wedding, births of their children, and moments from his career, family pictures and still nothing stuck out to him.

James played outside with the kids while Kayli got the final Christmas touches ready. Soon enough they all came in dragging the snow and mud along with them. Kayli sighed at the sight of her floors. Although everything may have changed, nothing had changed at the same time.

“Sorry.” All four voices spoke.

“Some things just don’t change.” She smiled to herself. Before the accident this would have driven her nuts but now it gave her a sense of normalcy. One thing did change however, James cleaned up the kids and his muddy mess on the floor. As much as she hated to admit it the James with ten years of his memory missing was a lot more helpful.

As James mopped up the muddy floor he heard the sound of car horns coming the long driveway. His family had arrived and he couldn’t be more excited to see everybody. As the entire Neal clan filled the large house, it began to feel much smaller. His brothers had brought their spouses and children, his little sister came in with her husband and of course his parents who stood in the entryway front and center. Although he was given the briefing about his family in the last ten years, the one thing he had a hard time with was his little sister being married.

“Come in, Come in!” Kayli said in a singsong voice. “Okay Mike you guys will be in the spare room, Pete, Sasha and the kids have Cams’s room, Rebecca you and Ryan will share Avia’s room, Nick you’ll stay in basement spare room and Peter and Deborah you will stay in the room you always stay in.” She smiled and everybody scattered off to his or her assigned rooms.

“Where will I sleep?” Asked James. He and Kayli had not been sharing a room since the accident and now there were no rooms left for him to stay in. His brother Mike and his family had just gone and taking the room he was staying.

“Either with me, your wife or you can sleep on the bottom bunk with cam in Nash’s room.” She gave him his options and walked away to see if everybody was settling in well.

He stood there and thought about it for a moment, should he sleep in a twin size bunk bed with his 2 year old son or in a king size be with his wife of ten years?

* * *
James and his dad stood in the front yard talking about how things have been going since the few days they had been gone.

“It’s been going pretty well, so far” He said, his sulking tone worrying his father.

“What’s going?” Peter asked his son.

“It’s just…I don’t know…” He trailed off. “Well you see… Mike took over the bedroom I’ve been sleeping in the past few days and now I either sleep with Cam in a tiny bunk bed or in my bed with my wife.” He let out a sigh.

“You do realize how ridiculous you sound to me right now.” His dad joked.

“It’s not funny, I get that Kayli and I have been married for a while, it’s just I don’t remember it, she feels like a completely new person to me.” He said feeling concerned.
“I know it’s difficult but maybe if you share a bed with Kayli it will feel familiar and maybe it will help you in your healing.” He said reassuring him.

“Yeah, maybe, I’ll think about it.”
* * *
“Goodnight.” James said walking down the hall towards the bedroom he’d be staying in tonight. He slowly opened to door and there in a king size bed sat Kayli hair in a bun, glasses on and reading a book.

“Hi.” He smiled.

“Hi.” She smiled back. When James said he’d d be going to bed with her tonight she secretly did a happy dance. She had been longing for the feeling of having her husband lay next to her at night.

Quickly he scurried to the washroom to get himself ready. In the bathroom he stood in front of the mirror question everything. Does he get in bed, roll over and go to sleep? Does he stay up a talk awhile with her? Which side does he lay on his left, right, back, stomach? Does he where pyjamas? He never wears pyjamas to bed; he’s always slept in his underwear. He ultimately decided on no pyjamas, it was how he was comfortable and Kayli has seen him in a lot less than his underwear, after all they have four kids.

“Okay, here I go.” He said to himself and walked into the bedroom.

Kayli heard the bathroom door open and looked up from her book. There he was in his underwear, his left arm covered in the sleeve tattoo that she’d never know him without, his tall body was still well toned and he looked exactly as she had remembered him. His body slowly made his was to the bed and he climbed in getting under the covers.

“What are you reading?” He asked trying to make conversation.

“Flowers in the attic.” She said and put the book down on the large wooden nightstand. She turned to James and said, “I know you haven’t been home long, but I think it’s best that we start trying to get back to us. I understand that it’s hard for you since you feel as if you hardly know me but I just don’t think we’ll get anywhere if we don’t try.” She stared at him waiting for his response.

“I think you’re right. I talked to my dad this afternoon and if I don’t try to make things normal again, I don’t think we’ll get anywhere. So I promise to try my best to make our lives normal again, if you can do one thing for me.” He said trying to negotiate with her.

“What is it?” She asked feeling nervous.

“You need to tell me about Kelsey, she is the last person I remember being in my life and I need to know what happed to her. If you know anything can you please tell me?” He pleaded this was the one thing he couldn’t hold onto anymore, if he was going to move on he needed to know what happened between him and his ex-fiancé.

“Okay, I’ll take you to see her tomorrow.” Kayli sighed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank to all those who have come back and read this story. Also thanks to the new readers as well.

Please leave a comment :)