Sequel: Love is Magic
Status: No really editing has been done yet so I am aware there are many mistakes. Please leave comments and let me know what you think!

Change of Plans

The New Prisoner

Morgana was lying on her bed waiting to hear word from Morgause. If anything happened to her Morgana would never be able to forgive herself. There was a noise from down the hall, immediately Morgana jumped up hoping it was Morgause. Instead Sir Leon appeared in her door again.
“I am sorry to bother you again, my Lady. The King has asked that everyone come to the Great Hall again. One of the other Knights has found something and the King… well he wants everyone there to see.” Sir Leon reached out for Morgana’s hand.
Again Morgana walked down the dark halls and narrow stairwells until she reached the Great Hall. Just as it had been earlier that evening the walls were lit and people filled the room. Sir Leon walked Morgana up to the King’s side then he bowed and took his place with the other Knights. Unlike the first time they had all gathered in the Great Hall Arthur was already there. The first time he had entered the Great Hall with the Masked Man, but this time he stood on the opposite side of the King. He stared straight ahead waiting for the doors of the Great Hall to open again. Arthur with a frustrated force combed his fingers through his hair as he waited for whatever was about to come through the doors.
With a loud screeching the doors opened and two guards dragged in another prisoner. As he passed the rows of people, being dragged up to the King a chorus of shocked gasps escaped from the crowd. The chains and shackles clanged as he was pulled forward. Morgana curiously peered around on of the guards trying to get a good look at the prisoner, but it was no use. The guards dragging him along kept stepping in her view of him. Finally the guards parted and stood on both sides of the prisoner giving Morgana, Arthur and the King a clear view of the man who was dragged across the room to stand in front of them, Gwaine.
Morgana could not control the loud gasp that escaped her lips causing Gwaine to emphatically look up at her. Then he turned and looked at Arthur, he opened his mouth to speak but was stopped when Sir Leon stepped forward and began to speak first.
“Sire, while searching the castle for Morgause and anything she may have left behind one of the Knights found this hidden among Sir Gwaine’s things.” Sir Leon handed the King the tiny vile of dust. “Although he was reluctant to tell us, Gaius confirmed that it contains Reveling Dust.”
The King looked down at the vile in his hand then over to Gaius who stood in the first row of people behind Gwaine and the guards. The King stood up and walked towards Gwaine, staring at him trying to figure out what exactly was happening. The guard on Gwaine’s left side put a hand on his shoulder and forced him to kneel before the King. Gwaine’s knees slammed into the stone floor. He looked up at the guard and sneered at him.
“Gauis, you have seen this Reveling Dust before?” Uther asked.
“I had experience with it before magic was banned in Camelot. Sire, it is not a harmful potent…” Gaius tried to explain, but the King interrupted.
“Let me ask you this, Why would a Knight of Camelot have magic hidden away in his things? Why would someone who is supposed to be loyal to the crown and to the laws of this land posess such a thing?” Uther asked Gwaine.
Gwaine did not reply he just stayed watching Morgana’s shocked face. She must feel so betrayed, Gwaine thought. Just when thing were finally turning back around. Gwaine should have known better. He never should have gone on that stupid quest. It caused him nothing but trouble.
Morgana could not tare her eyes away from Gwaine. He had magic this whole time and she had no idea. He and Gaius could not have been plotting against her if he also had magic. Morgana realized how terribly wrong she had been to assume Gwaine had betrayed her. She had been pushing him away this whole time and he had done nothing to deserve it. Gwaine was more like her than she ever imagined. He did not hate magic like Uther did; instead he accepted it and embraced the power it could give.
“Do you deny that this belongs to you?” Uther asked.
Morgana bit her lip praying Gwaine would choose his words wisely. She had just seen a man be sentenced to death for being involved with magic, and if Gwaine was not careful he would share the same fate.
“Father, this is ludicrous! Gwaine is a good man. He has proven himself a loyal servant to the throne. Need I remind everyone that it was Sir Gwaine who saved the Lady Morgana and I in the Market and again just this evening. If it was not for his bravery and strength the Masked Man surely would have hurt Morgana.” Arthur pleaded his friend’s case.
“How can you say that? Do you see how this man behaves?”Gwaine stood up in defense to the King’s insult. “He is nothing but a common peasant who is good with a sword.” Uther turned his back and waved his hand. As if you brush away the pesky dirt that is Gwaine.
“Sire, please. Arthur is right. I have come to know Gwaine every well these past few months. He is loyal to you I promise.” Gaius stepped forward and declared for everyone to hear.
“Well, if he has nothing to hide then why not answer the question?” Uther said as he sat back down in his thrown. “Does this dirt belong to you?”
“Yes.” Gwaine growled at Uther.
Gaius’s head dropped, Arthur raised his hand to his head in frustration, and Morgana covered her mouth. They all knew the same thing; Gwaine had just resigned himself to the gallows.