Sequel: Love is Magic
Status: No really editing has been done yet so I am aware there are many mistakes. Please leave comments and let me know what you think!

Change of Plans

Family Bonds

Morgana stood at the top of the stairs for a moment as she decided what to do. Arthur had already refused to help her get Gwaine out of the dungeon. He was just as bad as Uther. He did not care to find out why Gwaine had the dust. Instead Arthur let his friend and loyal Knight be thrown in the dungeon. If Gwaine was going to survive this it was up to Morgana to save him.
With that in mind she confidently made her way down the long hall. Passing guards and other Knights who were still in shock and whispering about the nights events. It wasn’t until then that Morgana realized what a long night it had been. When the sun first set she was planning on killing Gwaine, and as the sun prepared to rise over the horizon she was willing to do everything in her power to save him. So much had changed over the course of a few hours, and Morgana hadn’t had the time to step back and really think about what was going on. It occurred to Morgana that as far as Morgause knew Gwaine was still a threat and would need to be eliminated. Morgana thought through the events of that evening. Gwaine was a target, but clearly he no longer was a threat to Morgana. The Masked Man who was working for Morgause had been captured, Morgause had barely made it out of the castle without being seen, and now Morgana had to put her plans of revenge on hold in order to help Gwaine.
She stood in front of a large wood door. Mounted on the door was and iron dragon. The symbol was found all over Camelot. It was the same symbol found on all of the Knights capes and armor. The symbol represented the Pendragon Dynasty. It was the Pendragon family crest, and it was now Morgana’s family crest. Morgana took a deep breath as she opened the doors and entered King Uther’s private chambers.
“Morgana!” Uther’s head shot up as he watched her approach his desk with speed and determination. “What are you doing out of your chambers? It is not safe for you to be roaming about the castle.”
“What do you mean it is not safe? You already have two people locked away and sentenced to death.” Morgana replied sarcastically.
“Yes, but we have found no trace of this scorer called Morgause. Gaius tells me she is very powerful and if she was capable of enchanting that man for such a long period of time her powers must be very strong.”
“So you admit that the man was enchanted and had no control over his actions?” Morgana quickly pounced on Uther’s words.
Clearly stunned by her abruptness Uther sat back and thought for a minute. Then he cleared his throat and began to speak again. Choosing his words carefully and watching Morgana’s heated reaction.
“The man is not being sentenced to death because he fell victim to an enchantment spell. Morgana, the man admitted he knew he was consorting with magic. He searched out a spell or a remedy for his illness. He knew Morgause was a sorcerer. That is why he must be killed.” Uther explained this reasoning behind his harsh punishment. He had explained the same thing to several other people before Morgana that the words came out rehearsed and well thought out.
Uther’s relaxed tone and clear reasoning just angered Morgana more. He was blind to the fact that this situation had more than one side to it. Uther did not realize that while he saw the man as a threat others saw him as a victim. Morgana tried to make Uther see that the man was merely a victim of a bad situation, but his stubbornness kept him from really listening to the point Morgana was making. Instead of listening to her and taking in the words she was speaking he took her words and turned them.
“Yes, you are right. This man was a victim. He fell into the temptations of magic. This man let his greed and thirsts for power consume him until it was too late. Magic corrupted him.” Uther declared.
Biting her lip as Morgana turned her back to Uther and said, “What about Gwaine?”
“Who?” Uther asked as he turned back the scrolls he was reading before Morgana came charging in.
“The Knight you have locked away in the dungeon!” Morgana spat as she turned and glared at Uther. He did not care that he was killing to innocent people. He did not even know who Gwaine was.
“Oh, yes. The scruffy man who won the tournament a couple months back. It is ashamed really, Arthur told me he was coming along well in his training. He would have made a decent Knight. Again, another example of how magic can corrupt people.” Uther did not even bother to look up from the scroll he was reading. He had made a decision and nothing Morgana could say would change his mind.
“Magic did not corrupt him!” Morgana yelled as she desperately tried to make Uther see reason.
Uther was used to Morgana’s fiery spirit. She often spoke out of turn and openly shared her opinions with Uther. In most cases Uther did not mind, she generally provided him with support and advice. As Morgana screamed and reprimanded Uther for his decision to execute the men his patience had worn thin. His head shot up from the scroll he had been reading and he gave Morgana a warning glance. Uther had spent the entire evening listening to people whisper and gossip about his leadership and the decisions he made. He did not need to listen to the same thing from the Lady Morgana. He had given her a chance to speak her thoughts, but as she continued to stand in front of his desk and demand that he recall his judgment on the men Uther’s patience was worn away and he began to grow angry.
“Lady Morgana!” Uther hollered. “This kind of behavior is completely unacceptable. I have made my decision. It is clear to me that Sir Gwaine was working with the scorer Morgause. I cannot and will not spare him just because you cannot stomach the execution.” His voice soften as he continued, “My dear, it has been a very exhausting night. You should get some rest. I know it seems like I am being unfair, but these men are receiving the punishment they deserve.”
Morgana felt the anger boiling inside of her as Uther tried to send her away. She would not give in so easily and she would not let Gwaine be killed because of her own foolishness. As Uther accused Gwaine of working with Morgause and being a part of the attack that took place earlier that evening, Morgana wanted to scream out and tell Uther that Gwaine had no part in that plan. She wanted to clear Gwaine’s name of any misconceptions that Uther was building. Morgana needed to physically cross her arms to keep herself from giving away Morgause, and putting everyone she cared about in more danger.
Frustrated by her presence Uther urged Morgana to leave and find comfort in her chambers. An evil smirk spread across Morgana’s face as she slowly made her way around to the other side of Uther’s desk. If he refused to listen to her and see what she was trying to show him then she would have to force him to release Gwaine. As she thought about the words she would use and Uther’s reaction Morgan could not help but bite her lip in excitement. She held a power over him that no one could ever take away, not with all the magic or spells in the world.
“I demand you release Gwaine.” Morgana whispered in Uther’s ear.
“Excuse me?” He replied snapping his head way from her so he could see her serious face.
“Did I stutter?” Morgana arrogantly replied.
Uther looked a bit panicked and confused as Morgana stayed strong and stood by her words. Her facial expression remained frozen as Uther tried to figure out what Morgana was doing. She had no power over him. What made her think she could demand something from him?
“I Morgana Pendragon demand that you release those men in the dungeon.” Morgana said with a straight face. She watched as Uther’s anger filled red face drain to a pale and pasty white coloring as he realized what Morgana was telling him.
“How…. I … It is not…” For once in his life Uther was completely speechless.
“It does not matter how I know. All that matters is that I do…” Morgana paused letting her words sit and fill the air around Uther. “Great news such as this must be dealt with carefully, no?” Morgana asked as she playfully toyed with the feathered quill on Uther’s desk. “We would not want your loyal subjects to learn the truth about you and your prefect Queen.” Morgana’s smirk had turned into a joyous grin as she watched the fear in Uther’s eyes grow with each word she spoke.
Uther gulped and in a shaken voice replied, “No one will believe you.”
“Do you dare test me?” Morgana questioned. Her head snapping up as her attention darted from the delicate quill to Uther’s fear stricken face.
“As your biological daughter and first born I have more rights to the throne than your precious Arthur. If you do as I command I will not declare my rights to the rest of Camelot and this little secrete of ours can stay between us. The naive people of Camelot can continue to worship the ground you and Arthur walk on, and the image of their perfect Queen, who died before her time will not be tainted by the whispers of a mistress.”
Carefully watching as Morgana placed the quill back down on his desk Uther nodded in agreement to Morgana’s demands. He watched as his daughter stood up and walked towards the door. She stopped a few feet before the door and turned to face him. She politely bowed her head and thanked Uther for his time. The wicked smile that graced her face gave Uther chills. The innocent Morgana that he had watch grow into a beautiful young woman was no more. Some had taken control of her once pure heart.
“Wait!” Uther called as she opened the doors to his chamber. Slowly Morgana turned back towards Uther. “I cannot just release them. People will start to get suspicious. What am I supposed to do?” Uther asked clearly nervous and afraid of Morgana’s reaction to his question.
“If you can guarantee them safety then our deal will remain. I will continue to fulfill my role as a loyal Lady to the King.” Morgana replied before leaving the room