Sequel: Love is Magic
Status: No really editing has been done yet so I am aware there are many mistakes. Please leave comments and let me know what you think!

Change of Plans

The Verdict

It had only been a few hours since everyone had gone to bed, but the sun was high in the sky and the day was continuing on. Morgana sat up from her bed as she heard someone approaching from down the hall. For a brief moment Morgana forgot what had happened the night before. She almost forgot all about Gwaine who was sitting in the dungeon awaiting his execution. As the footsteps from down the hall got closer Morgana quickly got out of bed and slipped on a robe. She knew that whoever was coming down the hall would most likely announce that Uther required her presence at the execution.
There was a light tapping on her door a few moments later and her door was pushed slightly open. A timid voice called for her from the other side of the door. When Morgana acknowledged that it was ok for the person to enter scraggly boy stuck his head through the crack of the slightly opened door. He had dark short hair and crystal blue eyes. Morgana recognized him as one of Arthur’s new servants named Merlin. He was very young and shy. He walked about the castle always looking over his shoulder. He seemed to be afraid of something. He had the same nervous tone as he said, “Excuse me, my Lady. Uther would like you to come to the Great Hall for this morning’s ceremony.”
“Morning already.” Morgana stated as she stepped behind her dressing screen and slipped into a white gown with golden embroidery across the chest and along the edges of her sleeves. As Morgana fumbled with her gold necklace she realized that she had not seen Gwen in a few days. “Where is Gwen when I need her.” Morgana said to Merlin as she asked for his help with the clasp on the necklace. Merlin nervously chuckled as he took the necklace from Morgana and placed it around her neck.
“I am sure Arthur has been keeping you very busy.”
After a brief moment of silence Merlin said, “You wouldn’t believe the things he is making me do. After the ceremony his is making me clean the boots of every Knight in Camelot.”
“Well don’t let him push you around.” Morgana said turning around to smile at the boy. “Arthur is just a baby dressed up as a Knight.” She winked at Merlin then took his arm and let him take her to the Great Hall.
As Morgana entered the hall she realized that it had only been a few hours since she had entered the Great Hall and watched as Uther mercilessly ruled the Masked Man and Gwaine were to be executed. Once Merlin and Morgana had reached the row of spectators where Gaius stood, Merlin politely bowed and watched as Morgana walked a few more feet and once again took her place next to the King. Uther turned and looked up at Morgana as he tried to decide whether or not he was going to test her. The doors to hall opened and both Gwaine and the Masked Man were dragged forward and thrown down on the ground in front of Uther.
The people lined up watching everything unfold began to whisper again. Uther glanced around the room at everyone’s reactions to the situation. He saw fear in some people’s faces and pleased smiles spread across other’s. If Morgana was serious about her threat to expose the truth about her rights to the throne then everyone’s expressions would switch to confusion and fear. The people would learn that their ruler, their King is not as upstanding as he led them to believe. If the truth came out the people of Camelot would never trust him again. People would begin to revolt against his authority and possibly even reject Arthur’s leadership.
Then again, if Morgana did not follow through with her threat and backed down Uther would have let two dangerous men go free. He would have shown the people of Camelot that the law means nothing and holds no power. “Without the law, Camelot will fall.” Uther thought to himself.
Taking one last glance over at Morgana before Uther made his decision. Then he held his head high as he stood up and stepped down from his throne to examine the prisoners. It still did not make sense to Uther why Morgana would go through so much trouble to protect these men. It was not as if it was the first time Uther had sentenced someone to death. Morgana was never pleased when a person was killed, but she knew that it had to be done. She understood that the law was clear and anyone who violated it would be punished. Uther looked the men up and down as he made a circle around them. That was when he saw it. A quick glance over to Morgana was all Uther needed to understand what was happening. He watched as Sir Gwaine’s eyes remained fixed on Morgana, and in return Morgana caught her breath as she stared down at him with eyes full of love and longing.
“Is this why?” Uther stood in front of Morgana yelling at her. “You would risk so much for this!” He continued to say as he waved his hand in Gwaine’s direction.
The people in the crowd looked to one another as they tried to figure out what was happening. No one else noticed the subtle glances shared between the couple. Morgana jumped back at Uther’s sudden outburst, and Gwaine instinctively jumped to his feet to protect her. His shackles rattled as they held him back from jumping in to stand between Uther and Morgana.
“I hope it is worth it.” Uther said to Morgana as he passed her and stood back in front of his throne.
“I Uther Pendragon, King of Camelot. Hereby recount my previous judgment to have these two men executed. After much deliberation it has come to my attention that without all of the information I cannot condemn these men to death.” Uther stopped and watched as the people in the room became even more confused. The people who seemed pleased before were now shaking their heads and the ones who pitied the men smiled at the chance that the men’s lives might be spared. “Do not see this as a pardon. Rather than have you executed you are now banished from Camelot.”
Faint gasps were heard from the crowd as Uther explained his new ruling. He declared that if either of the men ever stepped foot in Camelot again they would pay for it with their lives. Uther made it clear to the people and the men that he was not doing this to be kind, but instead to serve as a warning. He vowed to not be so lenient the next time something like this happens.
“You must leave Camelot within the hour.” Uther announced before stepping down from his throne and leaving the Great Hall. The spectators quickly followed behind him as they tried to figure out what made Uther change his mind. Sir Leon came over to Gwaine and the Masked Man and unlocked their shackles. With a pat on the back from his friend Gwaine was free.