Sequel: Love is Magic
Status: No really editing has been done yet so I am aware there are many mistakes. Please leave comments and let me know what you think!

Change of Plans

Goodbye

Following the crowd of people out of the Great Hall Gwaine was led by the Knights back to Gaius’s chambers to collect his things. Each of the Knights patted Gwaine on the back and shook his hand. “It was an honor to fight by your side.” Some of the men said as they shook his hand. Gwaine never thought any of the Knights disliked him, but he also did not think any of them would have cared to see him leave.
“It looks like you will be missed.” Gaius said to Gwaine as he shut the door and began to collect his things.
“Those thick headed fools actually think I am someone worth missing.” Gwaine said modestly.
“I suppose that makes me a thick headed fool as well.” Gaius said with a halfhearted smile.
Gwaine looked up from the shirt his was trying to stuff into his bag and looked at Gaius. Gwaine realized he would miss Camelot. He was never one for staying in one place for long, but he had made some real connections in Camelot. He had real reasons to actually want to stay. This time he did not have a choice. This time he was not going because he had become bored with the places or the people. This time he was being forced to leave.
“Awe come on Gaius, you can’t tell me you are not happy I am leaving. You will not have to worry about anyone sneaking into your chambers and passing out on your bed or anyone stealing your extra apples.” Gwaine replied with a smirk.
“Here take one for the road.”Gauis said stuffing an apple into Gwaine’s bag.
Gwaine nodded and thanked Gaius for all of his help. Gaius was the only real friend Gwaine ever had. Being constantly on the move made it hard for Gwaine to make any real connections with people. He became accustom to being on his own and not relaying on other people’s help, but since coming to Camelot Gwaine grew found of Gaius and all of the support Gaius offered.
“I better be…” Gwaine said pointed towards the door and shrugging his shoulders. Gaius nodded and hugged Gwaine before watching him leave.
Gwaine made his way through the castle holding his head high as he thought about the first time he walked through the halls. He strode down the halls rolling his eyes at the elaborate tapestries and the Pendragon crest that was mounted all over the place. He never thought that he would wear that crest proudly. He never thought he would defend the crest and become friends with the noble of that crest. Arthur taught Gwaine a great deal about loyalty. Before coming to Camelot and meeting Arthur he never would have sworn his loyalty to a noble or a Prince, but Arthur showed him that having a title does not make a person selfish and greedy. Gwaine always felt that nobility was defined by what is on the inside not a person’s birthright. Although Arthur was born a Prince he proved that he deserves the title he has. Arthur rules with his heart, and is not influenced by the power or greed that other people are fueled by.
The morning sun shone brightly on the steps that led in to the castle. As the light breeze flew past Gwaine’s face and through his hair he smiled, feeling satisfied with his life and everything that had happened to him since coming to Camelot. Despite everything Gwanie had no regrets. He took a step forward and away from the doors of the castle when something grabbed him by the arm and tightly pulled his arm back.
“Gwaine…” Morgana could barely speak. She was out of breath from searching for Gwaine. She could not let him leave without saying goodbye.
Part of Morgana wanted to follow through with her threat to expose the truth about her relation to Uther, but she knew that would be a mistake. Uther would watch Morgana very carefully since he knows she is not afraid to go against him. When she made the deal with Uther she demanded that Uther let Gwaine go and make sure he is safe. Even though it was still a form of punishment, banishment was Uther’s way of following through with that deal. By banishing Gwaine it protected him from being executed just like Morgana demanded.
“My Lady.” Gwaine turned and bowed as he kissed Morgana’s hand.
“I am so sorry. I never… I wish…”Morgana wanted to apologize for all of the trouble she had caused Gwaine, but she could not find the words.
“A beauty such as you has no reason to apologize.”Gwaine pushed a piece of hair out of Morgana’s face and said, “I only wish I knew you will be ok. Whoever this Morgause person is it is obvious she is not going to stop until she has what she wants. Morgana, you need to be careful. Camelot is not safe.”
Morgana held Gwaine’s hand to her cheek and nodded as he warned her of the danger she might face. She looked in his worried eyes and wondered if maybe she should tell him that she had never been in any danger from Morgause. She wondered what his reaction would be if he knew the truth about her and her magic. Would he accept her for who she is? Would he stand by her and protect her from Uther and Arthur, the two people who he trusts?
Even if she did tell him the truth it would make no difference. Gwaine was not leaving Camelot because he wanted to. He was being forced to leave. If Morgana told him the truth it would not matter there is nothing he could do.
“Promise me you will be careful. Promise me you will set your pride aside and let Arthur keep you safe.” Gwaine asked Morgana.
“I…I… Promise.” Morgana looked away and whispered.
Gwaine nodded and stepped away from Morgana. He watched as she desperately grabbed his hand and stopped him from walking away. Neither one of them wanted to say goodbye, but they both knew they had no choice. Gwaine looked over to the patrol of guards making their way to the market to do a round check. Then he noticed a small tree just on the other side of the stairs. Still holding Morgana’s hand he stepped over to the tree and plucked a tiny white flower from the tree. He looked down at the delicate flower in his hand and smiled. Then he placed the stem of the flower in between his lips and smirked at Morgana. Laughing at his attempt at humor Morgana shook her head and stepped closer to Gwaine. He pulled the flower from in between his lips and offered it to Morgana.
“My Lady.” Gwaine bowed and offered the flower up to Morgana. Then he stepped back and turned away from the castle and Morgana. Once he reached the bottom of the steps he turned around and smiled at Morgana. He raised his hand in the air waving his sword through the air as he said his goodbye.