Sequel: Love is Magic
Status: No really editing has been done yet so I am aware there are many mistakes. Please leave comments and let me know what you think!

Change of Plans

Respect

With each step Gwaine took away from the castle Morgana felt her heart being ripped from her chest. She felt the hole inside her grow as her one true love was forced away from her. When he was still standing in front of her with that silly smirk on his face all Morgana wanted to do was wrap her arms around his neck and kiss him. Instead she stood back and laughed at his little joke. She knew as she smiled up at him once he was gone she would have no reason to laugh or love again. The bright morning sunlight became blocked by a shadowy overcast that took over the bright blue sky.
“Morgana!” Arthur called as he came running over to her. She turned and walked back into the castle. “Where have you been? The King has been looking for you.”
With a quick look over her shoulder and at the fading spec that was Gwaine, Morgana followed Arthur back into the castle. The place that seemed to be closing in around her, for Morgana the castle was not a place of happiness. It was a place of pain and torture. As she walked she looked down at the small flower in her hand and thought about the first time Gwaine had given her a flower. It was the night she snuck out to the court yard and Gwaine did everything he could to make her smile. Even after everything he had been through he remained the same free loving person he always was. Being so close to death did not seem to affect him at all. He maintained his arrogant and foolish sense of humor. Morgana closed her fist around the flower as she stopped in front of Uther’s private chambers. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes as she pictured Gwaine smirking at her; it was an image of perfect happiness. Then following Arthur’s lead the entered the Uther’s chambers.
“Ah! You have found her, Arthur.” Uther said as one of his servants untied this royal necklace from around his neck. The necklace was made of large square pieces of gold and hanging down from the center gold square was a ruby that dangled just above Uther’s stomach. “Can you please give us a moment, Arthur?”
Arthur looked from Morgana to Uther sensing a rise in tension between Morgana and Uther he was unsure what was going on between them, but Arthur obeyed his father’s wishes and left Uther and Morgana alone. Once he shut the door behind him Arthur began to wonder if he should have left them alone. With both of their tempers it was likely that they would explode on each other. Arthur chewed on his nail and paced around the hall as he debated about going back into his father’s chambers.
Lately Arthur has noticed a change in Morgana. It was as if she was more nervous and frightened. Arthur first noticed it after the attack in the market place. He thought that the traumatic event was the cause in her change of mood, but as time went on Morgana seemed to get worse. She was always looking over her shoulder, she seemed angry, and on edge every time he saw her. If she said the wrong thing while she was with Uther he would certainly explode. He had just spent the night dealing with people who broke the law and threatened Camelot, he would not be in the best mood. Then having Arthur stand up and challenge his authority during Sir Gwaine’s sentencing would have continued to push Uther’s nerves. Arthur feared for Morgana’s safety. If she even started to step out of line Uther would come back at her hard. Knowing Morgna’s personality Arthur was sure she would say or do something that could upset Uther. At least with Arthur in the room he could as barrier between Morgana and Uther.
“Arthur?” Morgana’s servant Gwen walked up to him with a basket of freshly washed sheets in her hands. “Is everything alright? You seem distressed.” Gwen noted as she shifted the basket to rest on her hip.
“Yes. I am fine.” Arthur said nodding his head as he continued to chew on his nail and debate over the consequences of interrupting Uther and Morgana.
“Sire, I have known you for a very long time, and you do not seem fine.”
Arthur looked up at Gwen and smiled. Gwen’s entire family had worked for the royal family so he practically had grown up with Gwen. She had always been around for Arthur, even when it was just to offer a few words of advice or to help him sew on a button. When Arthur was lost and unsure he could always rely on Gwen to be supportive and happy.
“I really am fine.” Arthur said squeezing Gwen’s hand in an effort to convince her. “I am just worried about Morgana. She hasn’t been herself lately.”
“Well… I suppose that is to be expected. It has been a long night for everyone.”
“Yes, but this has been going on much longer.” Arthur said wondering if maybe Gwen knew anything about why Morgana had been acting so strange.
Gwen bit her lip and looked away. She could guess why Morgana had been acting so strange, but she did not feel right telling Arthur her theory. Gwen had noticed the same change in Morgana from the moment Gwaine arrived in Camelot. When Gwen confronted Morgana about Gwaine she denied having any kind of relationship with the Knight, but after Gwen watched how upset Morgana got when Gwaine left on his quest it was clear that the two of them had some kind of relationship. If that was true and they did have a relationship then it would make sense that the Lady Morgana would have been acting strange lately. A relationship between her and a Knight would be absolutely forbidden by Uther, and on top of the nervousness of being found out Sir Gwaine was just banished from Camelot. Gwen would have been more surprised if Morgana was not acting strange.
“If I am not mistaken the Lady Morgana was close to Sir Gwaine.” Gwen said still afraid to give away too much information.
Immediately Arthur’s eyes lit up. It all made sense. He knew that there was something going on between the two of them, but he did not think about the fact that Gwaine could be the reason Morgana had been acting so strange. Arthur had no idea how long their relationship had been going on so it was a possibility that was the reason behind Morgana’s behavior.
“Yes, they were close.” Arthur said as he smiled at Gwen and thanked her.
Feeling better since he understood why Morgana had been acting so strangely Arthur decided it would be best to leave Uther and Morgana alone. He thought Morgana may even benefit from some time with Uther. The King had seen Morgana as a daughter and could provide some comfort and support that Morgana would want and need.
Inside Uther’s chambers Morgana was left alone standing facing Uther who was leaning up against his desk. The moment the door shut Uther’s expression changed from warm and welcoming to fierce and threatening. Morgana had caught him by surprise when she threatened to expose his secret. He had no choice but to go along with her demands. She had threatened him and humiliated him for the first and last time. Uther was not going to let Morgana hold power over him any longer.
“Ah, Morgana.” Uther said as he walked over to her and placed his hands around her and pulled her close. He smiled at her as if nothing had ever happened between them and Morgana was still a person he trusted. “How are you my dear? I am sure the events of last night were very hard for you.” Uther’s smiled turned and twisted into one of devious joy. He was pleased with the thought of Morgana having a hard time.
Morgana’s jaw dropped a bit as she watched the man she had grown up thinking she could trust turn against her. She watched as he began to turn the tables and restate his power over her. Now more than ever Uther wanted Morgana to know who was King and who she needed to fear. Uther wanted Morgana to fear him and the consequences if she ever thought about stepping out of line again. He knew that he needed to be strict and firm with her if he was going to have any luck in keeping her close, and eventually get things back to the way they were between the two of them.
“You know, I actually need to congratulate you. It would seem all that time you have spent by my side has taught you how to take control and rule over your people.” Uther said stepping away from Morgana and moving back over to his desk. “Even though you played your game well you should know it will be the last time you get a chance like that. It will not happen again.” Uther’s smile dropped down into a straight line, making his face completely somber and serious. “I gave you what you asked. I was quite generous with you, and now as your father I expect that you will follow through with your part of the deal and remain a respectful and polite Lady.” Uther said.
“If you were half the King you claim to be you would understand that loyalty and respect are earned not demanded. You would also know that a Lady will always remain true to her word.” Morgana arrogantly replied. She knew Uther was trying to scare her and she was not about to give him that satisfaction. As long as Uther wanted Morgana’s identity to remain a secrete Morgana held the power.
“You continue to test me? Morgana, I have been quite fair in trying to keep you happy. I let that scruffy Knight keep his life, when I should have executed him.”
“It is not I who is testing you my Lord. It is you who is testing me.” Morgana confidently replied.
“Are you threating your own father?”
Morgana held her head high and stood across from Uther as she said, “You are no father of mine!” Then she turned to leave Uther’s chambers, but was stopped by the hard yank of Uther’s firm grip on her arm.
“Whether you like it or not I am your father. As such I will have your respect and loyalty or you will face the consequences.” Uther threated.
Unfazed by the threat Morgana turned her nose up at Uther and waited for him to let her go. She would not be pushed around by him any longer. Morgana knew who she was and was going to stand up for herself and others like her. In some ways learning the truth about Uther and her magic really helped Morgana find the courage and confidence she needed to take control of her own life. With this knowledge Morgana refused to play the part of the silent Lady of the King.
Angry that Morgana was not cooperating with him Uther swung open his chamber doors and dragged Morgana down the hall. When they passed guards or Knights on patrol Uther just glared at them. Out fear of what could happen if they were to question the actions of King Uther the Knights and guards looked away without saying a word. No one was there to protect Morgana as she was pulled down stairs and hallways until finally Uther unlocked a large door and shoved Morgana through it. Then he slammed the door shut and looked through the tiny window in the door and said, “I will have your respect! When you are ready to give me that respect I will tell the guards to let you out, but until then I leave you alone in this room to think about whether or not it is a wise choice to go up against me.” Then Uther stormed back to his chambers.