Sequel: Love is Magic
Status: No really editing has been done yet so I am aware there are many mistakes. Please leave comments and let me know what you think!

Change of Plans

Others Like Us

Sounds of birds chirping woke Morgana a few hours later. Dazed and confused Morgana sat up and put her hands down on the ground at her sides. Under her hand she felt a thick goopy puddle, and when Morgana looked down at her hand and realized she put her hand in a puddle of blood that formed around Morgause. Horrified by the sight of her friend’s blood on her hands Morgana began to cry again. She pulled her knees to her chest and curled up in a comforting ball as she remembered everything that happened at the Castle.

When Morgana lifted her arms to cover her face her wrist got caught on her gown and pulled out a thread. Morgana followed the thin black thread with her eyes and saw Morgause’s silver bracelet around her wrist. The bracelet that Harpen gave Morgause, the bracelet that Morgana and Morgause put a dream spell on, and the only thing Morgana had left of Morgause. As Morgana broke of the piece of thread she stood up and looked around the forest. Dizzy Morgana lost her balance and grabbed on to the tree that was next to her. Her body was still recovering from the large amount of energy she had used that night. Morgana needed more rest and needed to let her body heal, but she could not just lie in the middle of the forest. So she bent down and lifted the corners of the dirty sheet Morgause was on and began to drag her across the forest.

Tired and sore Morgana just wanted to close her eyes and sleep. With every step she took Morgause seemed to get heavier. Finally she was just feet away from the cottage when she saw a man with light hair and a green cloak sitting on a rock across from the cottage door.

“Who are you?” Morgana called to the man.

“Is that… is that her?” The man jumped up and ran passed Morgana then knelt down next to Morgause’s body. His dark brown eyes began to water as he put his hand to his mouth and bit down on this dirty knuckle. The man’s hair was tangled and dirty, his clothes were worn, and the dirt on his hands seemed to be painted on. The man seemed as if he had been living in a cave for the past five years. When he spoke his voice was horse and broken. His eyes stayed glued on Morgause as he said,

“She looks so tired. Morgause had a light inside of her that kept her glowing beautifully.” The man said as she gently brushed a leaf out of her hair.

“Who are you?” Morgana demanded.

As if he just realized Morgana was there the man looked up at her. His eye caught the glisten silver bracelet around her wrist. His thick eyebrows pinched together as he examined her wrist. He almost seemed angry as he watched the sunlight bounce off of the bracelet. Annoyed with the man’s glares Morgana decided just to ignore him and continue bringing Morgause back to the cottage.

“Hey! Where are you going?” The man stood up and grabbed the other end of the sheet.

“Let go!” Morgana hollered as she tugged on her end of the sheet.

The man pulled back causing Morgana to lose her grip and drop her end of the sheet. As Morgause’s fell hard on the ground the man bit his lip and ran to her side again. He wrapped his arms around her head and whispered in her ear. Morgana worriedly stepped away from the man. He seemed completely crazy because of the way he was obsessing over Morgause’s dead body. Morgana watched as the man began to shake as he violently cried and poured himself over Morgause’s body. The man did not seem harmful just sad. So Morgana knelt down next to the man and consoled him. She cautiously rubbed his back while he whipped away his tears.

“I am sorry…” the man whispered as he stood up and helped Morgana pull the sheet towards the cottage.

“What do they call you?” Morgana asked in a friendlier tone.

“My name is Harpen.” The man finally answered as he lifted Morgause’s body and carried her into the cottage.

Morgana gasped when she heard the man’s name. She recognized it right away as the name of the man who Morgause was in love with and the man who gave her the bracelet. That would explain why he was so upset when he saw Morgause dead. From what Morgause told Morgana the two of them were practically engaged. Someone who was that close to Morgause would have an emotional outburst like what Morgana watched Harpen have outside.

“I don’t understand… The way Morgause talked I thought you were dead.” Morgana said.

“Dead? No.” Harpen replied sounding a bit offended.

“It is just that she told me you were engaged. I just assumed the only reason you would not have married was if you were dead.” Morgana explained.

Harpen turned away from Morgana and carefully laid Morgause down on the bed. Then he began looking around the cottage at the pots Morgause made and the shelves of books he gave her. He had been away for so many years he felt strange to be back in the cottage. All of his memories with Morgause were rushing back. The days they spent embracing their powers and learning new spells seemed like a lifetime away. As he looked at Morgause’s lifeless body he realized how stupid he was for missing out on so much time with her.

“I had to leave…” Harpen said as he turned back to Morgana. “It was the only way to keep Morgause safe.”He explained to Morgana. Both Morgana and Harpen stood next to Morgause in silent until Harpen continued to tell Morgana what happened when he left, “I was trying to earn some money and with magic being outlawed it made my talents a really rare trait. People would pay great just to get me to conjure up a spell that could plow the fields or make their silk softer. Once I was able to earn enough money I wanted to take her away from here.” Harpen motioned towards Morgause as he pictured a place that was peaceful and free, a place that allowed them to be themselves and use their powers.

“Why didn’t you?” Morgana asked.

“I started working with a few shady characters. They paid really well and I never realized the risk of working with them… that is until one of the men was brutally killed by King Uther for consorting with a sorcerer. I knew it was just a matter of time before they found Morgause and I…”

“So you let her believe you died in order to keep her away and safe.” Morgana interrupted knowing how the story would end.

Ashamed by what he did Harpen nodded and slowly walked away from Morgause’s side. He was a foolish boy back then, and he dragged Morgause into the life of running and fear because of his foolishness. Since the day he left Morgause, Harpen regretted it. He knew that the damage was already done. Morgause was using magic herself and becoming more powerful every day. By leaving her he left her unprotected and alone. Unfortunately once he left there was no coming back. It would have just brought more attention to himself and Morgause. So he stayed away and just prayed that the love of his life would be safe.

Morgana took Harpen’s and smiled up at him. She told him about the story Morgause told her about how much helped her and supported her. Morgana wanted Harpen to see that Morgause never thought ill of him and always cherished the memories they shared. Then Morgana lit a fire and offered Harpen a warm place to stay the night. As she did she told him how she met Morgause and about all of the things Morgause helped her with.

“Morgause carried so much guilt over the death of her sister.” Harpen said shaking his head. “I am glad to hear she was able to find someone who she could look after and care for like she wished she could do for her sister.”

“I grew to love Morgause like a sister. She truly was the only person I had left.” Morgana said with a hint of hatred in her voice.

As Harpen let his hands warm by the fire he watched Morgana’s expression change from content to anger. It was as if he could feel the change in her emotions as she stared into the flames of the warm fire. Starting at his wrist he felt a pulse of raging anger move through his arm and into his chest. As the feeling spread he watched tears boil up in Morgana’s eyes. He was feeling her emotions as if they were his own.

“Why are you so angry?” Harpen calmly asked Morgana.

“I am not.” She lied and refused to look away from the fire. Harpen took her hand and unclasped the bracelet from around her wrist. “Hey! What…” Morgana pulled her wrist back.

“Ah, that feels so much better.” Harpen said once the bracelet was off Morgana’s wrist. “Now why are you so angry?” He asked again as Morgana’s emotions faded from his body.

“What do you mean that feels better? How do you know I am angry?” Morgana raised her voice annoyed at Harpen’s rude gestures.

“This lovely little trinket you have been wearing has magic…” Harpen said tossing the bracelet around in his hand as he spoke.

“Yeah I know, Morgause and I put a dream spell on it.” Morgana said.

“No more than that. Before I gave it to Morgause I put a spell on it so that I would feel whatever she was feeling. We would always be connected.” Harpen explained. “When I gave Morgause the bracelet I knew I was running out of time. I needed a way to know that Morgause would be safe after I left. So I put the spell on bracelet and tried to stay close by. Whenever she was afraid or hurt I would feel it and I could go to her. Or at least try and find a way to help her.”

Morgana looked down at the bracelet in Harpen’s hand and remembered what Morgause told her about things being more then they seemed. Morguase just meant that the bracelet could hold a dream spell, but now Morgana found out it holds more than that as well.

“Is that how you knew to come here?” Morgana asked Harpen.

“Yes, I felt a sense of panic followed by a feeling of emptiness and heartache. I knew something was wrong so I rushed here to the cottage. When I saw she was not here I was not sure where else to look for her. I had no idea she was with you or that she even gave you the bracelet. To tell you the truth I haven’t felt anything from the bracelet in so long I thought Morgause may have lost it.”

“She didn’t lose it. She kept it wrapped in a cloth over in that chest.” Morgana pointed to the chest over by the bed. “She gave it to me to help with my nightmares.” Morgana explained. She felt badly for wearing the bracelet knowing that Harpen gave it to Morgause for a reason. If Morgause was wearing the bracelet when they went to the castle maybe Harpen would have been able to save her. “I did not know about the spell you put on the bracelet. I would have never kept it if I knew.”

A pleased expression appeared on Harpen’s face. He knew Morgana knew nothing about the spell, how could she? He never even told Morgause about the spell. He did not blame Morgana for wearing the bracelet instead of Morgause. Harpen stood up and patted Morgana on the head then went outside. Morgana was left sitting by the fire trying to figure out what was happening.

A few hours passed by and Morgana decided to see what she could find in the cottage to make for food. She rummaged through the cabinets and looked through the pots looking for anything to eat. Then Harpen proudly swung the door open and brought in a bouquet of white flowers and said, “If you smile I will give you flowers.” The gesture was sweet, but it meant something completely different to Morgana. The moment she saw the clean white petals on the flowers in Harpen’s hand her mind flashed back to Gwaine in the courtyard and on the castle steps trading white flowers for a smile from her. Morgana bit her lip and forced a half smile as she placed the flowers down on the table.

“I actually brought the flowers for Morgause.” Harpen said as he plucked one from the table and laid it down on her chest. “I think it is time we lay her to rest.” He whispered staring at that the bright flower.

Morgana nodded and began to clean Morgause up as Harpen built a sturdier carrier for them to put her body on. They worked quietly lost in their thoughts and memories until Harpen finished building his carrier and helped Morgana move Morgause’s body onto the carrier. Then they lifted the carrier and made their way out of the cottage. As they walked Harpen whistled a somber tune that filled the air with heavy sadness. Finally they reached the clearing where Morgause and Morgana rested, and the same clearing where Harpen gave Morgause the bracelet. Nestled in between a few trees on the side of the clearing was a hole that Harpen dug for Morgause.

“I thought this was a nice area. I thought she may be happy here.” Harpen said. His voice trailed off as she looked around the clearing.

“It is lovely. I get the feeling Morgause really liked it here.” Morgana said as she gently lifted her end of the carrier and brought Morgause to her final resting place nestled in between the trees.

As Harpen filled the whole and mumbled a few parting words Morgana whipped away her tears. Some of the tears were for Morgause, and some were for Gwaine. When Harpen brought the flowers into the cottage Morgana’s first thought was of Gwaine. She missed him so much and wished he could be with her. After watching Harpen grieve over the time he missed with Morgause and watching him run through all of his regrets, Morgana realized she did not want to end up the same way. All Morgana wanted to was to be free and happy. Without Gwaine she did not know how that was possible. She would spend her life constantly wondering if he was alive, healthy, and happy. Morgana’s thoughts were interrupted when Harpen cleared his throat and asked Morgana, “How did it happen? How did she die?”

“She…um..” Morgana did not know how to explain what happened at the castle. “It was my fault.” She said.

“What do you mean?” Harpen’s head snapped towards Morgana.

“She never would have died if it wasn’t for me. She was helping me, and I could not save her.” Morgana could not hold back the tears as she spoke.

“I am sure it is not your fault, my dear.” Harpen said as he wrapped his arms around Morgana.

They stood over the fresh grave quietly comforting each other as Morgana told Harpen what happened at the castle. Morgana told him how Morgause was the one who taught her about magic and how to use it. Then she went on to tell Harpen about Uther being her real father. As Morgana went on and on about how she wanted to lead Camelot into freedom Harpen smiled and nodded.

“If I could I would go back and change it all.” Morgana said. “I swear I will not let her death be in vain. Arthur will pay for what he has done.”

“You mean Prince Arthur did this!” Harpen hollered shoving his hand in the direction of Morgause’s grave.

“I will not let him get away with it. He has spent our entire lives hurting me and I will not let him do it any longer.” Morgana stated. The determination in Morgana’s voice was clear. She was going to do whatever it took to get rid of Arthur. She was not going to let him hurt anyone again.

“Morgana, I know what you are thinking….” Harpen began before Morgana stepped away from him and glared at him.

“Do not tell me I am wrong. Arthur is no different than Uther, and because of Morgause I can see that. He will follow in Uther’s footsteps. He will continue to hunt and kill people with magic. People like us!” Morgana spat at Harpen. “Do not tell me that what I am thinking is wrong.”

“Morgana, I know what you are thinking and I think I may know a way to help. Do you really think I want Arthur on the throne? If I had a choice between you and Arthur I think you are the one that deserves to be on the throne. You are the rightful heir and you know more about the people of Camelot.” Harpen continued.

Morgana looked Harpen up and down as she tried to figure out if he was serious or not. For the first time since she met him she realized she barely knew anything about him. She did not know if she could trust him or not and yet she spent the entire day baring her sole to him. It was almost as if because Morgause trusted him Morgana automatically trusted him as well.

Harpen took Morgana’s hand and said, “My dear, you are not alone. There are others like you and me out there, other people with magic. I know where we can find them. If enough of them can be rallied together we can form an army. Arthur will never see it coming.”

“Are you sure they would want to help?” Morgana asked eagerly.

“Yes. The people know the kind of person Arthur is. They would be just as happy to see you on the throne as I would be.” Harpen pulled Morgana back to the cottage then saddled up his horse. In one swift movement he pulled Morgana up on the horse with him. “I will take you to them and you can see for yourself.”