Sequel: Love is Magic
Status: No really editing has been done yet so I am aware there are many mistakes. Please leave comments and let me know what you think!

Change of Plans

Reunited

As soon as the sun was up Arthur and Merlin mounted their horses and started their search for Gwaine. Just like Sir Percival advised Arthur and Merlin headed to all of the taverns in Camelot to see if anyone knew Gwaine. Merlin followed behind Arthur as they entered the taverns and scanned the crowds of men hunched over their drinks. None of them could help in the search to find Gwaine. Until Arthur and Merlin went to the Sun Rise tavern they thought they would never find Gwaine.

When they walked in to the tavern things were just as expected. No one looked up or even acknowledged their presence. Just like before Arthur led the way into the tavern and took a seat in the far back corner. Curiously Merlin scanned the crowd looking for someone he was brave enough to talk to. Then the tavern door was forced open and a large husky man barreled through the door with two scrawny men following behind him. The man sat at a table just behind Merlin. At first neither Merlin nor Arthur thought anything of the man until Merlin heard the man say, “That piece of scum!... That is Sir Gwaine to you.” The man mocked as the barmaid brought him and the other two men some drinks.

“Merlin, look.” Arthur whispered as he pointed to the large gash on the side of the husky man’s head.

Merlin nodded as he noticed bruises and scrapes on the faces and arms of the two other men as well. Taking a moment to observe the men Arthur and Merlin sat back and listed while the husky man complained about Gwaine. The two other men just nodded and agreed with everything the husky man stated. The husky man grunted as he choked down his drink and continued to rant about the money Gwaine owed him. Finally Arthur decided he needed to say something. This man was the first lead they had since leaving the castle.

“Gwaine?... The guy who walks around like he is some kind of Prince?” Arthur asked.

“Ya know him?” The husky man asked after swallowing another gulp of his drink.

“Know him? He owes me and my friend here a good amount of money.” Arthur looked over at Merlin and raised his eyebrows in an effort to tell Merlin to go along with what he was saying. “We actually were trying to find him.”

“Ha!” The husky man belted out. “Good luck! I tell ya that little runt is sly if nothing else he will sneak right out from under ya.” The man reluctantly praised Gwaine.

“Could you tell my friend and I where Gwaine was headed?” Arthur asked.

“Heck if I know. He comes and goes comes and goes.” The man dramatically waved his hands around.

“I left a few bruises on the worm back in Cumberton though.” The man boasted.

Arthur jumped up and thanked the man then dragged Merlin out of the tavern. Cumberton only had one tavern so if Gwaine was still in Cumberton it would not take Arthur and Merlin long to find him. As they rode through the woods and into Cumberton Arthur thought through what he was going to do once they returned to Camelot. Finding Gwaine and asking him to fight would not be enough to stop Morgana. Then Arthur remembered something Gaius told him in an effort to convince him to bring Gwaine back. Gaius pointed out that Gwaine and Morgana were very close before Gwaine was banished. Arthur himself even suspected a growing relationship. Yes, Gwaine would be a good insight on Morgana’s way of thinking, but would he agree to help Camelot knowing that Morgana may be killed?

“Sire, is everything alright?” Merlin asked noticing the worried look on Arthur’s face.

“Merlin, do you really think bringing Gwaine back is a good idea?”

“Are you doubting you decision, Sire?... Frankly, Gwaine was one of your best Knights. I cannot see any harm in asking him.” Merlin said.

“I suppose…”Arthur replied still not convinced.

“Arthur, what are you worried about?”

“It is nothing.” Arthur said as he kicked his horse and began to ride faster.

Just as the sun began to set Arthur and Merlin entered the forest of Niem. The forest of Niem was the main border between Camelot and Niem. As the evening air settled and chilled their bones Arthur and Merlin rode in silence. Deep in thought neither one of them had anything to say to the other. Arthur worried about whether or not he was doing the right thing. Merlin studied the Kings face as they rode. Wishing he could do something to help ease Arthur’s worry, Merlin tried to think of something to say. They were nearly out of the forest when Arthur stopped his horse and dismounted. It was dark and hard to see where they were going. Obediently Merlin dismounted his horse and set up camp for the night.

As the fire flickered and spat Arthur laid back against a tree and stared up at the stars in the sky and imagined he was talking to his father. He thought about what his father would say about Morgana’s betrayal and Gaius’s idea to bring Gwaine back. He pictured his father’s disappointed face when he learned that the young girl he loved and cared for was a sorcerer. He could see the anger boiling up in Uther’s face as he found out that Morgana had been lying to him. Arthur wanted to do the right thing. He wanted to keep Camelot safe. At the same time he wanted to make his father proud and prove that he was a good King. Arthur had only been King for a few days and already he was changing everything. He was going against his father’s rule and bringing Gwaine back, he was about to let Camelot fall into war with Morgana, and on top of that he was in love with a servant. If his father knew what was going on with Arthur he would be furious.

“Sire?” Merlin finally broke the silence, “Just because you are doing things different does not make your way wrong. Uther had his way of ruling over Camelot and you have yours. You are taking the knowledge Uther gave you and your own wisdom to make your decisions.”

Arthur thought about it for a moment and realized Merlin was right. Just because he approached things differently did not mean he was going to be a bad King. In the end it might even be exactly what Camelot needs to be a stronger country. The more Arthur thought about it the better he felt about the entire idea. For a clumsy, young, servant Merlin was very wise and thoughtful.

“Ya know Merlin, you just may not be as dumb as you seem.” Arthur said teasing Merlin.

The stars glistened above as Arthur and Merlin sat around the fire eating and drinking. Merlin enjoyed the fact that he could just sit back and relax. Arthur did not have him running around doing mindless chores. Sometimes Merlin wondered if Arthur was mature enough to be King, but since he took on the role he has proven he is. As Arthur and Merlin enjoyed the peaceful night they heard something moving in the trees a few feet away from them.

Slowly and quietly Merlin and Arthur stood up and moved towards the noise. Merlin moved as fast as he could to put out the fire and collect all of their bags. Then he followed closely behind Arthur watching for any kind of attackers. Once they were closer the noises were clearer and easier to understand. Merlin could see light from a fire a few feet ahead of them and hear voices. He took another step closer to the fire and heard the sound of a twig snapping under the weight of his foot.

The sound of the twig breaking caught the attention of the people making noise. Their fire went out and leaves began to crunch under their footsteps as they scattered and hid from Merlin and Arthur. Both sides cautiously prepared for the other to attack. Leaves crackled and Arthur put his hand up to tell Merlin to stop walking. Then they heard a male voice whisper, “Stay hidden. I will take care of this.”

Out of the darkness a large man jumped onto Arthur’s back. In an attempt to knock Arthur out the man strangled Arthur. Swiftly Arthur spun around trying to knock the man off of his back. As Arthur spun around the man jumped off of him and pushed Merlin to the ground.

“Mer…” The man began to say before Arthur pulled out his sword and swung it just past the man’s face. The man ducked out of the way and stepped away from Arthur.

“Arthur, stop!” Merlin yelled causing Arthur to instantly freeze in mid swing.

When Arthur stopped he was able to clearly see the man who attacked him. The man was out of breath and when he noticed Arthur put his sword down the man bent over and put his hands on his knees as he caught his breath.

“Gwaine!” Arthur exclaimed. “What are you doing?”

“Oh just going for an evening stroll.” Gwaine said smirking at Arthur. “What is the Prince of Camelot and his servant doing roaming the forest of Niem at this hour?”

Just as Merlin was about to tell Gwaine that Arthur was no longer the prince but instead now the King of Camelot a young girl peered around a tree trunk at the three men. The girl’s light hair was tangled and dirty. Her clothes were small and worn so Merlin could only assume that the girl was poor and homeless. Arthur and Gwaine noticed Merlin staring at something, and when they turned towards the girl she ran to Gwaine’s side. In a friendly manner Merlin stepped over to the girl and smiled as he reached his hand out and said hello.

“Who are you?” the girl said harshly as he stepped away from Merlin.

“Airella, this is Merlin and Prince Arthur.” Gwaine said.

“King Arthur.” Merlin corrected Gwaine.

“Ha! Yeah and I am the Lady Morgana.” Airella said sarcastically rolling her eyes.

Merlin looked up at Gwaine whose face had gone from pleasantly sassy to shocked and disappointed. Gwaine looked away as the memories of Morgana flooded him mind. Images of her vibrant emerald eyes and long wavy raven hair flashed before his eyes. The time he spent with her watching her eyes light up with joy and happiness as she got her way. Even when they argued or clashed Gwaine admired her. No matter what was going on around her or what she was going through Morgana always remained strong. “You have to do what you think is right, and damn the consequences.” She always said to Gwaine.

“Seriously who are these people, Gwaine?” Airella asked suspicious of Arthur and Merlin.

To prove he was Arthur Pendragon the King of Camelot Arthur held out his hand and showed Airella the royal ring on his finger. Airella examined the ring on Arthur’s hand then tossed his hand aside.

“If you really are the King of Camelot then why are you roaming around the forest? What do you want with Gwaine?” Airella stepped in front of Gwaine in a montion to protect him.

“Airella, they are my friends.” The words did not seem right as the came out of Gwaine’s mouth, but it was true. Before his banishment Arthur had been a good friend to him. Merlin had just started working at the castle, but even he was always friendly with Gwaine. They were able to bond over the rigorous work schedules Arthur had them on. “I… I was a Knight of Camelot.”

“Friends? Was? Gwaine, if this is another joke…” Airella said.

“It is not a joke, Miss Airella. Gwaine really was a Knight of Camelot. One of my finest Knights actually.” Gwaine’s cocked his head to the side at Arthur’s compliment. Then a proud and conceded smile crossed his face.

“Actually we were on our way to find you.” Merlin added as he laughed at Gwaine’s expression.

The three men and Airella all walked over to where Gwaine had set up camp for the night. Merlin went and got more wood to restart the fire while Arthur and Gwaine spent time joking around and talking with Airella. When Merlin returned everyone sat huddled around the warm fire and Gwaine asked why they were trying to find him. Arthur and Merlin exchanged a look then Arthur told Gwaine that his father was killed by a sorcerer. He decided not to tell Gwaine that Morgana was involved just yet. Then he explained that the sorcerer was after revenge and would be planning an attack on Camelot.

“So you need your finest Knight to help you battle this sorcerer.” Gwaine concluded.

“Yes, something like that.” Arthur said.

“Well I would love to help you boys but there are two problems. One is that I promised Airella here I would help her find work. I cannot just leave her to run off and play hero.” Gwaine said as he nodded to Airella who was curled up on the other side of the fire sleeping. “Oh! Right and the other reason is that I was banished from Camelot, in case you forgot that means I am not allowed to return.”

“Now that Arthur is King he can overrule his father’s verdict. He can grant you permission to come back to Camelot.” Merlin explained. “We have come all this way to find you. We really need your help, Gwaine. I am sure we can find work for Airella at the castle so you will not have to break your promise to her.”

Gwaine thought about it all for a minute. Going back to Camelot could be really good for him. He would be a Knight again and could live a more respectable life. He would not need to gamble and fight to make money anymore. It also was a great opportunity for Airella to be able to work in the castle. Gwaine could just see Airella tagging behind Gwen carrying piles of clean sheets and a basket of fruit. She would not need to spend her nights sleeping on the forest floor and her days trying to sell flowers. With Arthur as the King, Gwaine could be sure she was taken care of. Plus going back to Camelot would mean Gwaine would get to see Morgana again.

“Well I suppose you will need someone to keep the two of you out of trouble.” Gwaine smirked as he agreed to travel back to Camelot.