Take Me Home

018

Image


I woke up to the sound of my phone vibrating against the nightstand beside the bed. I buried my face into the soft pillow and groaned. The vibrations stopped only to restart about a minute later. I finally mustered enough energy to grab my phone and through my blurry, sleep filled eyes I saw my boss’s name flashing on the screen.

Instantly, I went into a panic thinking I had overslept and was late for work. “Hello?” I said breathlessly while I jumped up from the bed and began digging through my bag for my hair brush.

“Lincoln, sorry to call so early.” I looked around for a clock to see that it six in the morning, meaning there was no possible way I was late for my shift which started at noon. “The bakery was broken into last night so you don’t have to come into today.”

“Oh my God.” I blurted out in shock. “Is everything okay? Is there a lot of damage?”

“There’s some damage and a few missing items but we’ll be alright. “

After ending the call with my boss I made my way back to bed. It was early and the last thing I wanted was to be awake. My eyes were still sore from all the crying I had done the night before and I knew sleep would be my best option. However, the thought of facing Niall after the way I had acted the night before made me cringe. I never wanted to appear so weak. I was about ready to change back into my own clothes and head home when I was faced with the idea of how Connor would react to me. I sighed in defeat, rolling onto my side and pulling the blanket to my chin.

I drifted into a dreamless sleep that could have only lasted an hour and a half at most. I found myself being drawn out of my room and down the hall to the kitchen by the scent of food. With each step closer I could hear loud chatter, laughter, and the clanking of silverware. When I finally rounded the corner into the kitchen I was met with three pairs of unfamiliar eyes. I stopped dead in my tracks and let my hair fall in front of my face, uncomfortable under the curious eyes.

“Mornin!” Niall exclaimed loudly suddenly appearing in the kitchen.

“Morning.” I said less enthusiastically, eyeing him through my curtain of hair.

“Sit. I’ll get you some breakfast.” Niall urged pushing me toward the table where his friends all sat watching us interact.

“I’m not that hungry actually.” I tried to object as he pushed me down into an empty chair.

“You have to have something.” Niall argued, moving around in the kitchen.

“I’ll just have some toast then.” I sighed in defeat “I guess.”

I tried to avoid making eye contact with any of the guys who sat around the table with me. Instead, I busied myself with pushing grains of salt around on the table, making different shapes and pictures while I listened absently to the conversation taking place around me. I felt entirely out of place, like I had no right to be attending this breakfast. I knew that right after breakfast I’d have to make my escape and spend my day hiding out at the library. I continued to occupy myself while ignoring the curious glances in my direction until Niall reappeared only to drop three plates of food in front of each of his friends. He disappeared and reappeared in an instant dropping a huge plate of food in front of me and then taking a seat next to me with his own massive plate of food.

I stared at the plate in shock. Eggs, bacon, breakfast potatoes, and toast filled the plate in front of me. All I could do was stare at the mountain of food. “Um.” I said laughing nervously “This is an interesting interpretation of toast.”

Niall gave me a quick grin and then turned his attention back to his food. I picked at my food, while I idly listened to the conversation going on between Niall and his friends. I had learned that the four boys had nothing planned for the day other than playing video games. As I listened to them laughing and sharing jokes it made me painfully aware of how much I wanted everything to go back to normal with me and Connor. I wanted to pretend the night prior had never happened and that I’d go home and we could watch Pride and Prejudice on our shitty television and share a pack of noodles like we always had.

“Lincoln!” Niall’s voice snapped me out of my thoughts and he waved his hand in front of my face while laughing. “You in there?” he joked.

I smiled weakly in return “Yeah, sorry. What?”

“We’re going to play FIFA. You coming?”

“I don’t know.” I said unsurely, already feeling like I had over stayed my welcome. “I should probably head out. I want to stop at the library and I’ve got some other things to do.” I lied. I planned on walking around aimlessly until I had no other option than to go home and face Connor.

“Oh come on. It’s fun, I swear. You’re going to love it.” Niall urged.

“Niall.” I began to protest.

“One game.”

“I don’t even know how to play.” I confessed.

“I’ll help you.” Niall said.

“Fine. One game.” I sighed in defeat.
“One game.” Niall confirmed and practically dragged me toward the television.

What was supposed to be one game turned into so many games that I lost count, enough games of me pushing random buttons and hoping for the best that all three of Niall’s friends had left. Niall and I sat alone in his quiet flat the only sound was that of quiet music from the video game that neither of us were playing. It had gotten dark and I knew that sooner or later I would have to drag my ass back to my own flat and make amends with Connor.

I didn’t want to leave though. Niall’s flat was comfortable, the heat worked and he didn’t have neighbors tap dancing above our heads. I inhaled through my nose and let my head rest on the back of his couch while I closed my eyes and rejoiced in the peaceful calmness that was surrounding me.

“Have you figured out what you’re doing for Christmas yet?” Niall asked in almost a whisper as if he was trying not to break the silence.

My eyes fluttered open at the sound of his voice to see him mirroring my position so we were facing each other. I shrugged, meeting his eyes briefly before closing my own. “Dunno. Might try to get the Christmas morning shift at the bakery to make some extra cash and then I’ll probably just go home and do whatever.”

Niall and I were shared a comfortable silence for a few seconds before he spoke again. “You can come spend Christmas with me and my family. I mean it’ll be in Ireland but…” Niall trailed off.

I opened my eyes to see he now had his eyes closed and a faint blush dusted his features. I smiled to myself and closed my eyes again. “Thanks for offering but I’m really no fun around Christmas. I’m better off spending it alone.”

We settled back into a silence for a few minutes and I sighed contently, twisting my fingers through my tangled hair. I re-opened my eyes and was momentarily stunned by how blue the eyes staring back at me were. “Are you going to our show this weekend.”

I shrugged “I don’t know. I probably have to work.” I said but in reality I knew I was free. I just didn’t want to have to deal with the crowds of pre-teen girls, paparazzi, or any of the ridiculous rumors that would be flying around if Connor and I were seen there.

“Take a day off.”

“Niall, we both know I can’t do that.” I said starting to get annoyed.

“I’ll pay for the day you take off.”

I narrowed my eyes at him “I’m not a charity case; I don’t want your money.” I said standing up and stretching before I began to walk off toward the guest room. I knew there would be no escaping Niall’s pestering unless I removed myself from the situation.

“Where are you going?” Niall asked following after me. “I was talking to you.”

“Home.” I muttered, making a b-line for the guest bedroom where my own clothes we waiting for me.

“Wait.” Niall caught hold of my hand and pulled me back toward him. “Why don’t you want to come?” Niall asked, his eyes locked on mine.

“Because I don’t want to.” I snapped, losing my patience with him. “I don’t like crowds and I don’t like people taking pictures of me and spreading lies about me. Besides, I get enough of you lot without even leaving me own home most days.”

“Lincoln, I’m asking you to go. I want you to be there.”

I studied Niall’s face becoming increasingly aware of the way our hands were still interlocked and the small space between our bodies. “Why?” I snapped and yanked my hand out of his grasp.

“Because I like you.” He said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“But…I’m not even nice to you.” I reminded quietly and I let my hair fall into my face as I tried to make sense of Niall’s words. Niall’s hand brushed my hair out of my face and he looked down at me trying to read my face. I watched in what felt like slow motion as Niall’s face inched closer to mine, leaning in for a kiss. It felt like I was paralyzed. My breath was caught in my throat and I could feel my heart hammering against my ribcage and as much as I wanted to move there was a small voice in the back head telling me to stay put.

“I know.” Niall agreed just as quietly before his lips brushed against mine so lightly that I wasn’t sure if they had even touched mine. When I didn’t go with my gut feeling of punching him in the head instantly, Niall too as an opportunity place his hands on my waist and he pull me closer, pressing our lips more firmly together. It felt like a fire ignited inside of me as I wrapped my hands around his neck, my fingers finding their way into his already messy hair.

A loud knock echoed through the silence of Niall’s flat causing me to jump away from him. Niall took a step backwards and took a deep breath as he ran a hand through his hair, a sly smile finding its way onto his lips. I adverted my eyes to the ground as I felt the heat rising to my face, I crossed my arms over my chest and tried to stop my head from spinning. I completely ignored the smug look on Niall’s face as he walked toward the door. I wasn’t sure if I was more annoyed at Niall for kissing me or at myself for allowing him to kiss.

“Lincoln!” Connor yelped as she practically burst through the door with Zayn trailing behind her. “I was looking all over for you! I was so worried! Never do that to me again!” Connor rushed, pulling me into a tight embrace. I hid my face in Connor’s shoulder as she began to scold me for not answering my phone. I was so happy to see her. I was overjoyed that she didn’t seem mad at me anymore. I held on to her tightly, refusing to let go until I was certain my face was no longer red.

When Connor finally took a step back to look at me she raised an eyebrow as she notice the red sweatpants hanging loosely off my hips and the t-shirt that I was practically drowning in. “Not a word.” I warned her and pointed a finger at her. Connor was silent but I way she was smirking at me was enough to make want to bury myself alive. “Can we just go?” I asked but didn’t wait for a reply before I marched off to change into my own clothes, not even so much as looking at Niall as I brushed by him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm an asshole. It's been forever. I really have been working on this though. I swear. It's kind of long, I'm hoping you won't mind since it's been an eternity since I've updated. I swear, I will update more. Hold me to it this time. Harass me. Honestly, do it.

Love you guys.