Take Me Home

004

Image


The entire walk back to the flat I kept my head down and avoided glances from everyone I passed. I had to admit I hated walking alone at night. It absolutely terrified me. Normally, I would walk home with Connor and even though she wasn’t as intimidating as Niall’s bodyguards, having someone to walk with made me feel safer. If I wasn’t so stubborn, I would have allowed Niall to walk me home. However, the thought of having to spend twenty minutes with him made after the way he acted made me want to gnaw my own arm off. Besides, with the swarm of people outside the pub, I doubt he would even be able to walk two steps.

Finally when I made it home, I tore my coat off and then propped my guitar case against the wall. I pulled the envelope full of cash out of my pocket and placed it our cat shaped cookie jar that was sitting on the kitchen counter. Inside there Connor and I’s combined tips from our work day. Hour of aggravation went into earning those tips only to have them stuffed into a ceramic cat until rent was due. I sighed and placed the cat’s head back onto his body.

I pulled the refrigerator door open and scowled at how bare the shelves were. There was a bottle of orange juice and Chinese take-out container that had been in there for as long as I could remember. My stomach growled and I finally reached for the take-out against my better judgment. I peeked inside the box and let out a scream at the sight of the vile left overs.

“No. No. No. No. So gross. Stop it.” I said to myself as I dropped the rotting food into the trash.

I decided that there was no point in even trying to find something to eat at that point, I knew the cupboards were just as bare as the refrigerator. I figured the best option was to just go so Connor and I could go shopping for a week’s worth of groceries…and with our budget that consisted of barely anything. I patted my stomach and meandered toward the bedroom Connor and I shared.

One month we were so behind on our rent that we had no other choice but to sell our beds. Have you ever been so poor that you literally sold your bed so you wouldn’t have to live on the streets? I have. It wasn’t great. It still wasn’t great considering that Connor and I shared a rickety futon as a bed. We were so poor that we had to share a bed. A lot of people thought it was weird, but we couldn’t afford anything else. Plus, we were best friends so it wasn’t that weird and if it was we didn’t really care.

I slipped into a pair of yoga pants and kept my sea foam sweater on for warmth. I crawled into the bed that I shared with Connor and reached for the light switch. Once the lights were off I burrowed into my pile of blankets and let my mind wonder to all the things that happened that day. First I sold my prized possession and then I had to deal with that idiot at the pub, Niall. I tried to push the thoughts of the blonde out of my head but I just couldn’t get over the way he barked with laughter as soon as I sang. I sighed with frustration and turned over to face the wall. After a few minutes I felt sleep start to overcome me.

The next thing I knew, Connor was shaking me and waking me out of my sleep. “Lincoln.” She whisper yelled. “Linc. Hey, scoot over.”

Confused and angry for being woken up I hissed “What?”

“Make some room.” I heard a male’s laughter and I sighed.

“Are you fucking serious?” I growled. “I swear to God, Connor. The things I do for you!” I yelled and ripped the pillows off the bed and took my blanket and dragged them toward the living room.

“I love you.” Connor called after me quietly. I pushed past Zayn not even caring that knocked him into the wall. I didn’t utter a word to either of them as I was leaving. I was so mad at her for trying to bring a guy into the bed while I was sleeping in it. Then again, I assumed she was entirely wasted and had no idea what she was doing. I sighed and threw all of my pillows and blankets on the lumpy couch and went right back to sleep.

I was woken up by the sounds of knocking on the door of our flat. I whined and pulled the blankets over my head trying to escape the sounds of the knocks. However, they didn’t stop. No. They just got louder and more rapid. I sighed and threw my blankets off of my body and stumbled toward the door. I was practically blind due to the sleepiness and early morning light streaming in through the blinds.

I yanked the door open while rubbed my eyes trying to get a better look at whoever was standing in front of me. I growled when my eyes were able to focus on the figure standing in my door. “What?”

“Here to get Zayn.” Niall answered, adjusting the hat that was on his head.

Without another word I turned to knock on the bedroom door. I heard some shuffling and then a “What?”

“Zayn’s friend is here.” I answered and didn’t even wait for a reply. I took a seat on the sofa and hugged one of my pillows to my chest. I watched Niall cautiously from behind my pillow, I was just waiting for him to say something rude.

“Just a minute.” Connor called.

Niall shut the door and looked around our flat with a blank expression. I could just imagine what he was thinking of us as he looked around. I was amazed our flat hadn’t crumbled to pieces from the way he was knocking on the door. He took a seat in the beaten up, bright red arm chair that was positioned directly across from my sofa.

After at least five minutes of awkward silence between Niall and I finally came to my senses. “What time is it?” I asked, running a hand through my hair, trying to detangle the mess it had turned into while I slept.

“About noon.” He answered, and I watched his eyes dance along the collection of guitars Conner and I had lying around the flat. It was only a matter of time before we were in desperate need of cash and another one of them would be sold.

“Fuck.” I hissed and closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I wanted to have gone to the store and stocked up on food by now. I wanted to get that out of the way before I had to go to work.

“Do you always sleep on the sofa?” He asked and I couldn’t ignore the hint of amusement in his voice. I was like one giant joke to his kid.

“Do you always talk so much?” I asked. I was starting to get beyond annoyed with Niall. He seemed to have a knack for doing all of the things I hated. That morning, it was trying to talk to me after I had just woken up. That was never a good idea for anyone…unless they had coffee.

He laughed, just as loud as he had the night before when I was on stage. I looked at him through narrowed eyes but he simply smiled back at me, his blue eyes glittered in the sunlight. “Yeah. Usually.”

“Oh yay.” I feigned excitement and fell over into my pile of blankets just as Zayn and Connor emerged from the bedroom.

“Morning!” Niall greeted them cheerily. I don’t even know why it annoyed me but it did.

“It’s afternoon.” I growled into my pillows, hiding my face from all three of the people in the room.

Niall barked with laughter again. “You’re something, I’ll tell ya.”

I scowled into my pillow, deciding against telling him what I thought of him. Like how he was rude, annoying, and just generally an ass.

“Lincoln? Are you coming with us?” Connor’s voice broke me out of my thoughts. I picked my head up and blinked at her, having no idea what she was talking about. She knew me too well and had gotten the hint that I was momentarily lost in my own thoughts and missed an entire conversation. “We’re going out for something to eat. Are you coming?”

“No. I’m broke.” I said, sending her a look that reminded her that she was as well. She sent me a quick pout and puppy dog eyes while Niall and Zayn exchanged a look.

“My treat.” Niall spoke up. “C’mon, lazy. Get up.” He grinned at me.

“No.” I snapped and was taken by surprise when Niall looked offended. I instantly felt bad, even though I knew I shouldn’t have, he deserved it. “I have to go to work.” I added in more even tone.

“Maybe next time?” Zayn asked hopefully.

“Definitely.” I replied and sent him a warm smile and watched his entire face light up.

Connor said a quick goodbye and Zayn gave me a small wave while my best friend practically pushed him out the door. Niall didn’t say a word as he filed out after them, and I was thankful for having one less exchange with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to everyone who subscribed! Huge thanks to everyone who recommended! The story is going to start picking up from here! I promise!