Take Me Home

007

Image


The ride home from Niall’s flat was a blur. I could only remember bits and pieces. I remember a camera flashing in my face right before Niall and I got in the back of big black shiny SUV and I remember leaning my head against the cold window. That was about all I could recall of ride home but once we reached my flat I suddenly aware of a McDonald’s bag in my hand while I fought with the door.

“I hate my life.” I whined trying my hardest to use my key properly.

Niall grabbed the keys from my hand and laughed at how pathetic my attempts at unlocking the door were. “Which one is the right key?”

“I don’t know.” I whined and leaned against the wall. I was completely frustrated with the situation. I left the keys with Niall while I dug into my chicken nuggets. After a few minutes in which he must have tried every key on my key ring, he finally pushed the door open. “You are literally my favorite human.” I said with a mouth full of food.

“Come on, let’s get you inside before you pass out.”

“I’m not even tired.” I lied. “I can probably stay awake for another two hours…at least!” I shouted as Niall placed his hand on the small of my back and gently pushed me inside my flat.

“I would love to see you try.” Niall closed the door behind him and continued to guide me to the small table in the kitchen. I took a seat and dumped the food out of the paper bag. Niall joined me and sat directly across from me where he placed a bottle of water in front of me after loosening the cap.

“Where did this food even come from?” I giggled and looked at the pile of food in front of me. “I don’t even remember getting this. Connor is going to be pissed when she finds out I spent money on this.” I blankly stared at Niall for a few seconds before I burst out laughing.

“Holy shit.” Niall laughed. “You are so gone.”

“I’m Linc-gone! Get like it cause my name is Lincoln and the coln rhymes with gone.” Niall and I both laughed loudly and watched him clap is hands which is something I noticed he did when he found something particularly funny. “You’re an-Niall-ated!” I accused and pointed a finger at him.

After we both laughed for what felt like an hour straight, I was wiping the tears from my eyes and gasping for air when suddenly became very tired. “Why don’t you go lay down?” Niall suggested, through a mouth full of food.

“I don’t think I want to do that.” I said lazily.

Niall appeared at my side and held his hands out to me which I gladly accepted. “Come on, I don’t need you falling asleep at the kitchen table.” I sighed loudly and let him pull me up until I was standing. “Where’s your room?”

I didn’t answer verbally, I just walked toward the room Connor and I shared and crawled on my side of the bed. “I hate shoes!” I declared and kicked my moccasins off.

“I thought this was Connor’s room?” Niall asked, oblivious to the fact that Connor and I not only shared a room but also a bed.

“No. This is my room.” I mumbled into my pillow as I inhaled the scent of the freshly washed sheets.

I closed my eyes and listened to the sounds of whatever Niall was doing. I didn’t care really what he was doing as long as I was in my bed at that point. “Lincoln.” Niall gently shook me and that was enough to stop me from falling asleep. I groaned in response and looked up at him as he sat on the edge of my bed. “I put a trash bin right here next to your bed in case you feel sick, okay? “

“Okay.” I mumbled.

“Alright, I’m going to go now. Do you need anything before I leave?” I mumbled a string of words that made no sense before Niall turned the night out and I slipped into a dreamless sleep.

I woke up and focused my sleepy eyes on the brick wall in front of me. “Fuck.” I said to myself quietly because my stomach felt queasy and my head was killing me. I sat up and noticed that Connor was sound asleep on her side of the bed and I wondered when she had gotten home. Then I wondered how I had gotten home. It took me a few minutes of piecing together the foggy memories of the night I had to remember Niall and I eating McDonalds at four in the morning.

“Fuck.” I repeated and slowly crawled out of the bed being careful not to disturb Connor. It was Saturday which meant she had to work the evening shift at café. I knew after a night of drinking it was best to let her get the most sleep as possible before she had to go to work. As for me, after a night of drinking my body refused to sleep in past nine in the morning which was the exact time when I wondered into the kitchen.

I pulled the refrigerator door open and was never more thankful to see a bottle of Gatorade sitting there. I had no idea where it had come from but I figured if it belonged to Connor she wouldn’t have minded if I had a few sips. I could feel my body thanking me as soon as I swallowed a mouthful of the blue liquid; Gatorade was like magic when it came to hangovers.

There was a knock on the door that made me jump as wondered who could possibly be knocking on the door at nine on a Saturday morning. Our landlord never bothered us, unless rent was due, and especially not at nine in the morning. Regardless of who was at the door I rushed to answer it before the knocking woke Connor up.

Niall was standing at the door with hands tucked in the pockets of his jeans and cheery smile on his face. “Morning!” he greeted me as I stepped aside to let him out of the cold morning air. I cringed when I recalled how talkative he was in the morning. “I guess it’s a good thing we got you that last night.” Niall’s eyes landed on the bottle of Gatorade in my hand.

I gave him an unenthusiastic thumbs up. “Much appreciated.” I dropped the Gatorade on the coffee table and hugged my sweater closer to my body. “Is there something you came here for?” I wondered.

“I left my phone here last night. I was gonna get it last night but I figured you’d be asleep by the time I got back.” He laughed “You were kind of a mess.”

I felt the heat rise to my face, wondering exactly what I had done the night before other than laugh at YouTube videos and make him take me home. “Sorry.” I mumbled quietly and looked away from him his eyes which always seemed to be focused on mine. “It’s probably in my room.” I scurried toward the bedroom and looked around. I spotted the phone on my bedside table next to my glasses.

“Why’s Connor sleeping in your bed?” I nearly had a heart attack when I heard Niall’s loud voice behind me.

I spun around and gave him a “Shh!” before I grabbed his phone and practically pushed him out of the room and shut the door behind me quietly. “If she wakes up she’ll murder you.” I handed him his phone just as it began to vibrate in my hand.

“So why do you let her sleep in your bed?” he asked keeping his eyes on his fancy phone. I hugged my sweater closer to my body. I hated answering that question.

“We only have one bed…so we share it.” I replied while I kept my eyes locked on my bare feet. I dug my toes into the carpet waiting for Niall fire more questions at me.

He barked with laughter “Why?”

I picked my head up and glared at him even though my cheeks with were burning with embarrassment. I shouldn’t have been embarrassed by how modestly Connor and I lived but when a wealthy pop star was in my flat poking fun at my financial situation it was hard not to be. “Because unlike you, Mr. Famous Pop Star, some people can only afford one bed.” I growled and stormed into the kitchen to make myself coffee.

Niall seemed to be taken aback by my sudden hostility. “I didn’t mean to laugh…I just-“

“You have your phone. You can leave now.” I said sharply and crossed my arms over my chest. If looks could kill he’d be six feet under.

“Uh…right. Well…I’ll see you around.” He said uncomfortably as he headed toward the door.

“Not if I can help it.” I snapped, and scowled at him as he turned around to give me on last sorrowful look before closing the door behind him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image