Status: Once a Princess soon a Queen

The Tales of Princess Ana

Chapter Two - The Arrival

I walked into my office knowing that today was the day that I'd head off to this foreign country known as Genoiva.
I have brushed up on the language, politics, royals, diplomats.
I'd be there until I gathered enough intel.
"Good morning, Nick!" 
In walked in my co worker Akia, cheery as she was. 
She was not oneto be crossed, she was once in the Amazon and three men that were twenty times her..
Well long story short she came out of it alive. 
"Good morning Akia, what are you up to today?"
She was packing once more as this is often a requirement of the job.
She tossed her case file and kept packing.
She was off to her native country in brazil, drug bust I believe.
I only skimmed the file
"Nick, darlin' you excited to rub shoulders with the royals?" 
With a slap on the back, I could identify that British accent from anywhere .
"Not really Tuck, but that's what the job calls for."
I said with a shrug.
"Eh, cheer up love! It's a country you have never been too."
"Well I'm not going to sight see now am I?"
He walked to his desk, it was a simple marble black. 
Most of us have the same design. He tossed his feet up, as Akia finished her packing.
"He's right you know, you'll be amongst the royals. Sure they aren't William and Kate but--."
"Aye, will and Katie arent all they are cracked up to be."
Tuck was once sent as a royal palace guard.
He hated every minute of it.
"at least you'll be family, I had servant duty!" 
He tossed his arm up in blasphemy.
"They only picked you because your English, Tuck." 
Akia laughed as she consoled him with a pat on the arm.
"Don't think your special, Kai! They are sending you to Brazil because you're one of 'em!"
She kissed his cheek 
"Well if I die I'll remember that.
"Rememba' I love you, darling?"
I was never a relationship kind of guy.
Now don't get me wrong I did like to play the field but not one to settle into monogamy.
But in the rare occasion, Tuck and Akia made the idea appealing.
"Good Luck Nick, Have fun at the Princess's birthday bash."
I looked at her bewildered
"What do you mean?"
"How is it that this is your job and I know more than you?"
The Princess is turning 21 tonight, as soon as you land you'll have a four hours of prep and then off to the party."
"I bet there Princess has a Uni brow, ehy?"
Tuck chimed in.
"Well if she has a unibrow count me out."
I shook my head with a chuckle.
"Wait till you see her."  
And with a wave akia was gone.
"That girl... She's the real deal, Nick." 
Tuck grinned, though from the exterior Tuck looked like a big tough guy he was the opposite.
Sure when we are out on the field he is as he seems, tattoos and muscles the size of your head anyone is naturally intimidated.
But he is a softy when it comes to the ladies.
"I hav' to go now, you take care Nick and wax off the princess's unibrow ehy?"

I grabbed my file and headed towards the private jets.
Off I was to Genovia to enjoy this so called "party".

The plane hit ground at three pm which left me with three hours.
I arrived later then I planned.
I was greeted my this short plump man named Estavaro De La Garzara.
"You are Nicholas, yes?" 
I nodded and held out my hand, he shook it politely.
"Welcome my dear boy, you're gonna love this country!"
I pulled him close, from a distance this may seem like an embrace between family.
It was so much more than what it seemed.
"Estavaro, remember what I am here for. We can be accomplices or we can be enemies,  now I'd suggest you stay on my good side and accommodate my companies needs."
He swallowed a lump in his throat. "Of course Nicholas."
We let go of our touching family embrace.
"So now who am I again?"  
"You are my brother's son but he passed away, and you went to live with your maternal grandparents. "
"Excellent."
 I slid on my sunglasses and opened the door to the car that waited for our conversation on the tarmac to close.
"Estavaro, tell me more about the royals. We are attending the Princesses birthday, yes?" 
"Yes, the princess is turning twenty one tonight. In 6 months she will be queen, This is her first major event you know?"
"Are we related to her by blood?"
"No, her grandfather was related to my mother, they were cousins. The princesses' grandfather married her grandmother. That's the only way we are related."
"Interesting." 
Our conversation once more had ended.

It was now 6 pm, I had prepared for what was coming. 
Estavaro was able to get a suit last minute, it was an onyx black suit which I paired with a black undershirt and a black tie,.
If you hadn't noticed people like myself tend to prefer black.
Estavaro had his white gloves and a purple vest paired under his black Valentino suit.
"Nicholas the car is getting ready to leave, it's an hour drive."
"So we'll be arriving at seven?"
"Yes, the Queen and Princess like there entrances at eight so everyone else has to be early."
I nodded and we headed out the door. 
In the car drive to the palace I admired the scenery.
The people generally waved, most knew Estavaro though he was not a royal, he is a diplomat. 
"Estavaro, let's be clear. You must not tell anyone, not your staff, not your friends, not even your journal must know why I am here. Understood?"
He nodded.
"Sir, if I may. I do know what I stand to lose if I tell a single soul."
"Great, keep that in mind."
We arrived at the palace as night fell upon the kingdom.
Cars lined up both the left and right side of this large circular driveway.
"The Princess must have a lot of friends."
"Yes, some are friends. Most are diplomats, family, government  officials." 
his hand waved dismissively.
Our car had reached the front steps.
"The general speaker of congress Estavaro De La Garzara and his nephew Nicholas Foster!" the staff hit against the white marble steps. Quite an obnoxious sound, had you asked me.
Estavaro made his exit and I followed.
We made our way into the grand ballroom it was covered in gold chandleries, red velvet drapes adorned the twenty feet tall windows and a massive cake sat atop a table.
Granted it didn't have a 21 on top but it was obviously a birthday cake.
I hardly remember my twenty first, it was four years ago and I was hammered.
I doubt the princess gets to get shit face drunk.
"Estavaro, does the princess get a celebratory drink?"
"She gets one glass of champagne, they don't expect the princess to have some party at a club. Her life is as a dignified royal not some celebrity coke fiend you have in America."
"Well that would make it a lot more exciting."
Estavaro scoffed and excused himself, he had to chat up some royals.
I wonder how many people know how deep he's in.
They see this diplomat and expect him to be an image of perfection. They have no idea who he really is.
I grabbed a drink and made like the social butterfly.
I introduced myself, explained why no one knew of me.
A couple of princesses gave me their private lines, that may come in handy.
And the clock rung eight, the man with the staff spoke once more. 
"Now arriving your royal Amelia Mignonette Thermopolis Renaldi, Queen of Genovia!"
The queen walked down in a conservative flowing navy gown, she looked like the staple photo of an exquisite elegant woman. 
She took on her granddaughter after her daughter passed away tragically in an accident with her husband. 
At 14, the princess moved in and began her life as a "palace kid".
And here she comes, "Introducing, Princess Ana Marie Antonite Thermopolis Nikolav Renaldi."
André Nikolav was her father, very famous russian artist.
I looked up in awe.
"She definitely doesn't have a unibrow."
I spoke in hushed tone.
She was a vision in red, her dress gleamed in the lights of the ballroom. Her smile warmed everyone in the room as she gripped the rail of the marble staircase.
A small gesture, but one that said so much.
On the other hand, She was not just a vision in red but a vision of sensuality.
"Oh boy, oh boy."
I spoke more to myself than to anyone else.
An old man leaned into me, "Beautiful isnt she?" 
I turned to him.
"Incredibly."
He sipped from his champagne
"She has the same personality her grandmother did at this age."
"Ah really?"
"Yes, she even wore a red gown on her twenty first, just a her grandmother did."
"Thats a sweet gesture."
"She was impeccable that night, sparkled like a star."
The Princess transcended into the crowd, greeting everyone as a typical princess would.
"Son, you better get a dance with her before someone else does."
The old man points to a barely visible kid in the crowd.
"He's got the heads up on you."
I chuckled 
"I'm sorry I didn't get your name?"
"Andrew, Andrew Devereaux."
"Oh! You're related to my uncle, Estavaro."
I extended my hand. 
"Yes boy, I know that. His mother was my cousin, lovely woman she was."
"She's in a good place.
 I spoke as if I knew this woman.
"That cancer, gets them every time."
He cleared his throat.
 "Son, the dance with the kid's nearing a close. I'd ask her before another does."
He patted me on the back and with that he said,
"Take care."
Well I guess it's time to meet the Princess.
I walked through the crowd and neared the princess.
She danced with what seemed to be a twelve year old.
 It was nice princess like gesture.
Seeing as the kid was a terrible dancer, her feet must be in misery as he continued to stomp on them.
"Princess Ana, can I have this next dance?"
She turned around at such a rate you'd think her crown would fall off.
The boy seemed to be French, and dismissed my presence entirely.
She made the suggestion that I would not be here all night and needed to be fair to all her guest.
Pepe Le Pew sulked off and here was my turn.
A sense of relief washed over her as her and I delighted in some small talk.
She was witty, seemed to be smart, didn't have a unibrow. 
Incredible how fluid a dancer she was.
Our bodies were quite close, I could feel her breathing softly against my chest. 
She could be a valuable asset. 
She invited me to a family dinner to which I accepted. 
"I'll be here then, perhaps you can show me the rose garden?"
"Perhaps." she smirked.
"Goodnight Nicholas Foster.
"Goodnight Princess Ana."
I felt a tug on my elbow.
"What are you doing?!
Exclaimed Estavaro.
 We walked away from the Princess.
"What do you think you're doing?!"
I spoke to him harshly.
"What are you doing speaking to the princess?! "
"I was dancing, are you dense?! You could blow my cover!"
"I realize that but Nicholas you can't involve yourself romantically with the princess."
"I will do what I want when I want. This is my job and I will decide which route to take."
Estavaro stayed silent.
"Besides it was only a dance, don't get in over your head."
"Okay Nicholas, pardon my assumption."
We reached our car which waited out front.
"Estavaro, understand that I would not make a decision that would jeopardize your life. If I jeopardize you I jeopardize myself."
"Understood."
"And by the way, we have a dinner party in the palace tomorrow. I was personally invited by the princess."  
Estavaro flushed any color from his face and sighed.