Landfill

Not Jealous

Grocery stores might have been foreign market places for me. I haven't grocery shopped in my entire life; my mother did this for me. Lisa did as well, cooking vegan meals for me.

Needless to say, I would make a terrible housewife. If I were to ever marry, which I doubt. I doubt I'll ever have kids; it's a choice of mine.

Ryan, he is a natural at shopping. He picked things up as if it were second nature. He placed my hand on the cart, "Follow me, Nikki."

I followed, my hand awkwardly there next to the both of his. "So, what are you getting exactly?"

"You look a little on the malnutrition side, so we're getting things to bulk up your immune system and make your insides all good. Coffee and cookies can't all be good for you, honey."

I managed to roll my eyes at him. He sounds like my mother. I didn't mind it though; "Are you going to cook for me?"

"For us, yes. You need it." He murmured, "Don't take it wrong."

"No offense taken here, Tin Man."

He gave a soft laugh, leading me towards the vegetables.

To my surprise, again, he knew a lot about veggies. He told me what most of them were good for. He told me what was good about them and what he was going to make us for dinner. I never met a person who knew so much about food. It was almost fascinating; I actually listened completely when he spoke.

Infatuation for this impeccable man was growing. I had a crush. It was sick. It was annoying. I was tired of it, but I still liked it.

By the time we got to the checkout line, our basket was full of healthy food, awaiting to be happily cooked. I never been so excited to eat before; I'm not a stickler for eating. I rather drink than eat.

Food never applied to me until now.

As we moved in line, we were both silent. Comfortable silence that I hadn't experienced with the opposite sex since my father. Ryan didn't seem to be phased by the silence either; which I had been worried about.

See? A boy making me nervous.

"Ryan! Hey!" A girl's voice called; she sounded sweet.

Like raw sugar.

Ryan and I both turned our heads to the right. A girl with short blond, wavy hair; lighter than my own, came rushing over in heels. She wore a baggy blue skirt, a cut off top and a fedora hat on her head. She was more so bohemian than myself.

Ryan smiled, "Hey Kat."

I frowned slightly as they hugged. I was jealous. Oh, I felt that jealousy surge through me like an electrical current.

"What're you doing here?" She asked.

Dumb blonde for sure.

"Grocery shopping for my friend here," he pointed towards me, "Kat, this is Nikki -the girl I told you about. She's letting me rent a room from her."

Kat smiled, waving at me, "Nice to meet you."

"Same here." I replied with a slight mumble to my voice.

Her crystal blue eyes slicked over to Ryan, "Are we still on for tonight?"

He nodded, "Yeah, of course." He replied happily.

He has a date? Really? Flirting and kissing me and he has a date?

"Great! I can't wait," she waved again; her tan skin made her look like one of those LA models you see on billboards, "See ya." Her eyes scanned over to me, "It was nice meeting you, Nikki."

"Yeah." I waved back quickly, happy that she strutted away.

Ryan turned to look at me, a smile perched upon his lips; "Do you think she's cute?" He asked me.

"Uh, what?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

He kept on smiling, taunting me, "Is Kat cute? I like her."

Oh, the joys of having a crush. Brokenhearted in a matter of moments. Now I remember why I hate boys and why I'm a virgin.

"No." I muttered, "I don't think she's cute at all. In my opinion."

I lied, Kat is cute. She's beautiful. She has to be a model.

Ryan chuckled, "Are you jealous?"

I turned away from him, pushing the cart to the register, "No. Why would I be jealous?" I snapped.

"Because I got a date and you don't." He teased me.

I rolled my eyes, again at him, "You wish I was jealous of you."

He laughed, placing the items on the conveyer belt, "No, maybe you're jealous of Kat."

"Again, you wish." I muttered.

Ryan came around the cart, to pay, and I moved away. He pulled at the arm of my long sleeve t-shirt, "You're cute when you're jealous." He whispered into my ear.

I jerked away, "Don't make me smack you in public, Ryan."

Of course, the joker laughed, paying while I bagged.

After he paid, the both of headed towards the apartment. He didn't speak as we walked on, I was itching to justify the fact that I was not jealous. I mean, I knew I was jealous, but I didn't want him to know that.

Ryan had a smug look upon his face whenever I would glanced at him. I nibbled on my lip, our steps getting closer to home. I still kept my thoughts in my head, thinking of what exactly to say to him, to explain myself.

We got in the elevator and he cleared his throat. Immediately I began, "I am not jealous."

Ryan laughed out loud, as if he had been holding it in since we left the store. I wanted to kick his shin, or to punch him in the arm.

"Why are you laughing?" I asked as the elevator stopped.

"If you weren't jealous you wouldn't have to justify it." He answered, not looking at me as he exited the elevator.

I followed behind, hiking up the bags on my arm, "I am not jealous." I repeated angrily.

Ryan unlocked the apartment door, leading us in. He chuckled to himself; Mr. Riot; thinks he so funny.

I shut the door behind me with my foot; "I'm serious!"

Ryan looked at me, placing the bags on the counter, "Okay, you aren't jealous, Nick."

"Stop calling me Nick." I shoved him as soon as my half of the grocery bags were on the counter as well.

He smiled slightly as he looked down at me, "Nope."

"Why?"

"I like calling you Nick."

"I mean it, alright? No more nicknames. Nikki is fine enough."

Ryan exhaled, "I'm not making any promises. Remember how difficult you were with me?"

I frowned, "Yeah, so what?"

"I'm gonna be difficult right back, sweetheart."

Before I knew it, he pecked the top of my head, and then turned back to the groceries. I felt my heart speeding away, rattling the bones of my ribcage, killing me. I wanted to shake Ryan; rip his throat out for doing this to me.

"You make me sick." I answered truthfully, but he didn't know that.

"I know."