Landfill

Not Cool

I stared at my open word document on my laptop, still drawing a blank. I could see out of my peripheral vision, Ryan going towards the front door. He was busy cooking and prettying himself up.

I got rid of my jealous feelings. I rationalize it, making myself calm down. I was no longer filled with jealousy... Only slightly. Still, I was calm and cool about it. Letting it fall nonchalantly out of my system.

"Nikki, come here." Ryan called to me.

I looked at the kitchen, seeing Ryan poke his head out; "Gimme a second." I mumbled.

"No, now." He ordered me, as if I were his child.

I got up, obeying him without a thought, and walked towards him. He lent out his hand, wrapping his freakishly long fingers around my wrist. He placed me by the counter, and then gave me a bowl full of steaming veggies.

"What's this?" I asked, holding the bowl.

"Food." He muttered smartly, "Now eat."

I narrowed my eyes at him, but I did as he said, eating the steaming food. Ryan was smiling when I looked back up at him, chewing slowly. "So?"

"It's good." I answered after swallowing.

"Thanks." He still smiled at me, "Eat up, I should be back by midnight."

He sounded like a mother and father.

"Yes, sir." I muttered sarcastically.

Ryan started off towards the hall, but stopped; he looked back at me, "Will you be up when I get back?"

I shrugged, continuing to eat, "Maybe. Why?"

"Just checkin', sweetheart."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, again. A habit I need to stop.

"Bye, Ryan."

He waved once, "See ya, Nick."

I growled to myself, turning towards the kitchen table.


I had fallen asleep on my recliner with the TV on some Law & Order reruns. I jolted up from the sound of the TV going off; I've been dreaming about what was on the screen. I sat up, "Hey, I was watching that." I muttered.

I saw Ryan as soon as he turned the lamp on, "With your eyes closed and your mouth wide open?"

I shifted, pulling my knees closer to myself, "I mean, I was dreaming about what was going on... Fresh ideas."

"You should go to bed." He lent his hand out.

"I don't want to." I whined, "I'm comfortable here."

"I'll carry you, if you want?"

I smiled lazily, "Really?"

He nodded.

Before I could respond, he bent over and took my body in his arms. He carried me, quite easily I might add, off towards my bedroom. I leaned against him, smelling a faint scent of perfume on his shirt and collar. I tried not to be upset by this, but it managed to worm it's way through my body. Ryan set me on the bed and I looked up at him, "Did you have a nice date?" I asked dumbly; out of notion of his dark blue button up brushing with the skin of my bare arm.

"Uh, yeah, it was cool." He answered with a low shrug, "Did you have a nice night with Olivia and Elliot?"

I snorted like a dork; immediately feeling like an idiot. My cheeks warmed up, and I pulled up a front to my emotions, "Shut up." I muttered before he could make fun of me.

Ryan smiled a bit, and then knelt on the bed and sat on the back of his leg, "I wasn't gonna say anything about your dorky laugh."

I couldn't help but to smile and quickly brush it off; "Okay. But, really, did you have a nice time?"

Why did I care? I don't know. Well, I wanted to see if it was worth the hour of ending at 12:30 am.

"It was cool, like I said. She laughs funny though... I didn't see it before. It's really gross."

"She snorts?" I asked curiously.

Ryan chuckled, "Uh, yeah. Not the cute, dorky snort you just did. It's like flemglob typa thing, y'know? It was sick."

"That turn ya off?"

He nodded, "I don't like her as much as I thought I did."

"Sorry." I muttered with a soft giggle.

He shrugged again, "It's alright. There's plenty of fish in the sea."

I shook my head, giggling again -I hate myself and my giggles- "What did you guys do?"

"Got drinks, went to a club. I'm not much of a dancer."

"Those long legs? Are you kiddin' me?"

Ryan smiled, "Yeah, I'm not. I've realized I'm not cool... I'm not cool for a 23 year old."

"Join the club."

Ryan laid back in my bed, "Thanks for the invite. Any initiation involved?"

I bit my bottom lip -my brain cursing me; Nikki, stop it! Stop liking Ryan so much, this instant!

My inner workings; girl hormones wanted me to kiss him. I sighed, letting the girl hormones roll over my mean girl ones; "Yeah, just one." I leant over to close in on his face, "Don't date girls whose heels are higher than their IQs."

Without thinking, I pressed my lips to his. Losing myself in this bitty kiss that built. Oh, Nikki, you stupid girl.