Landfill

Swell

I got home before Ryan, but saw a note on the fridge. I smiled at his ungodly large handwriting.

I went to the store, I'll be back before you. Yes, I called Elaine on your way home. Don't worry your pretty head about a thing, just get comfortable.
-Ryan


I shook my head, and opened the fridge to get a soda. I exhaled deeply, popping the cap and hopping onto the counter. I tried to figure out the words to say to Ryan. It was like this big weight on my shoulders; I just wanted these feelings to smooth out. I wanted him to know so I wouldn't feel as if my chest will burst open.

I took a drink and jumped slightly in place when I heard the door open. I smiled as Ryan came in, "Sweetheart."

I bit at my lip as he entered the kitchen with a grocery bag, "Hey."

"I bought some alcohol," he said with a grin, "For something special. And, I have a surprise for you."

I raised a brow, "A surprise for me?"

He nodded, "Yep." He came over and leaned in front of me, "So, close your eyes."

I laughed and shut my eyes. I nearly melted to the counter when he kissed both of my shut eyelids. I giggled like a little girl after, listening to him leave shortly. I listened to him move through his bedroom and then crept into the kitchen.

"Keep 'em shut, Nick."

I didn't mind him calling me Nick anymore. It wasn't as bad as I always imagined it'd be. It was wonderful coming from him.

Ryan stood in front of me again, between my legs, "Open your eyes."

I saw nothing, other than he was hiding a bulk item in his leather jacket. I looked at him, "What?"

He didn't answer, but then a small meow sounded from the bulk in his jacket. My eyes widened and my heart swelled; "You didn't." I muttered.

Ryan grinned, opening his jacket to reveal a small kitchen. I cooed at the tiger stripes and the large blue eyes. Ryan held the kitty up, "It's a boy, I bought him from Spencer's little sister."

"Oh my gosh, Ryan," I cooed as I took the kitten into my hands, "He's gorgeous. What's his name?"

"I didn't name him. Well, I couldn't," he said as he slipped his jacket off and placed it on the chair at the table, "I got him for you."

"Why?" I asked as I set the kitten in my lap.

"I wanted to," he smiled, "And Spencer's sister was going to send them to a shelter."

I looked at the kitten again, "He's so cute. Thank you, Ryan."

Ryan leaned over and kissed my forehead, "You're welcome, honey."

"I don't know what to call him," I lifted the kitten and looked him over, "Tiger is too obvious... How about Jimmy?"

Ryan chuckled, getting my reference, "Jimmy sounds good."

"Hi Jimmy," I kissed the kitten's head, "This is your new home."

"I got a litter box and stuff like that," Ryan told me as he leaned against the counter with me, "I don't think it'll be hard to train him."

I was going to speak, just as there was a knock on the door. I frowned, "Is that Brendon?" I asked.

Ryan shook his head, "I specifically told the guys not to bother us," he gave me a suggestive look, "I planned on getting to second base tonight."

I smirked at him, "Because you got me Jimmy?"

"No, because I planned it."

I laughed softly, hopping off the counter, "It's probably Lisa."

I went to the front door, holding Jimmy in my left arm, and looked out the peephole. My eyes widened at the sight of my mom. I groaned as she knocked again, and pressed my forehead to the door frame.

"Who is it?" Ryan asked as he made his way over.

"My mom." I murmured.

Ryan chuckled at the tone of my voice, "You act as if she's got a disease."

"She does, it's called the Bring-Nikki-Downs." I stepped back.

Ryan pat my back, "Open the door."

I sighed, but obeyed. I opened the door just as my mom prepared to knock again. She exhaled with a smile, "I heard you."

"I was kidding." I replied with a small, forced smile.

"Don't force it, Nicole, you'll get wrinkles." My mom stepped in and looked around. Her eyes stopping directly on Ryan, "Oh, hello. Who are you?"

"Now, where are my manners?" I muttered sarcastically, petting Jimmy. "Mom, this is Ryan--"

"Her boyfriend." Ryan added quickly, sticking out his hand, "Nice to meet you."

My mom looked taken back, "Boyfriend?" She shook his hand, "Nikki, I thought you were gay."

I frowned as Ryan laughed behind me, shutting the door. "I never said I was gay!"

"I thought that Lisa girl was your girlfriend."

"She's my friend, mom. Geez." I shook my head.

She waved it off, "Whatever, it's nice to see someone else in my darling Nikki's life."

"Oh, you call her that, too?" Ryan chuckled.

My mom nodded, "Yeah, like the song."

I immediately hated the fact my mother and Ryan caught on so quickly.

"I'm Madeline," she continued on, "How long have you been seeing Nicole?"

She, Ryan, alone with me and Jimmy, resided to the couch and recliner. Ryan sat in the recliner, on the edge to lean over to speak; "Almost a month now. I've known her for a little longer than that."

I snapped my fingers, remembering when I first met Ryan; "Mom, he's my stalker. Remember?"

My mom's eyes widened, "W-what?"

Ryan looked confused, while I giggled, letting Jimmy nibble on my fingers.

"You stalked her?" My mom asked, her voice high in alarm.

Ryan tried to explain through my giggles. I shook my head, "Mom," I'm joking. Ryan's just the guy who saw me around. He never stalked me."

"You're the boy who climbed up her patio? Romeo?" My mom asked these questions quickly and quizzically.

Ryan wasn't sure what to say; "I... Don't know... Maybe?"

I nodded, "Yes, mom. But, don't worry at all, Ryan is wonderful."

My mom's face softened and she exhaled, tossing her dark hair back, "Is he now?"

"Yes, I like him. A lot." I replied swiftly.

My mom smiled, "You must come home so your dad can meet him!"

I shook my head, "No, not yet."

Ryan smiled, "Uh, Mrs. Navarro, I'm only comfortable if Nikki is comfortable."

I smiled at him. That stupid boyish grin made my heart thump.

"Alright, fine," my mom said softly, "I only came for a visit, since you rarely call home."

"Why don't you call?" I asked, smirking at her.

"I'm busy."

"As am I," I answered smartly, "I have television shows that need to be seen."

My mom shook her head, and stood, "I'll be leaving, then, Nikki," she turned to me, leant down and kissed my cheek, "I love you, darling. Be good." She turned to Ryan, "You be good to. Wrap it up, buddy."

I palmed my face as Ryan held back a laugh. My mom blew a kiss as she left, causing me to groan and fall back against the couch. Jimmy crawled up my tank top, pawing at the fabric. "That woman will be the death of me." I mumbled.

Ryan got up and sat beside me, "Well, she's gone now. Shall we drink and be merry?"

I smiled faintly, "Lets be merry, love."

That word was as close as I was getting to telling Ryan how I felt. I mentally thanked my mom for dousing the swelling seams of my chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
I never had a pet cat before; random fact. So, I don't know how to really care for them...
That's enough ramble, how do you like it? What do you expect?