Landfill

Drives

My cab called me from downstairs, while Ryan carried my bag. I had Jimmy in my arms, leading the way downstairs. I exhaled softly as we exited the building, feeling the late summer heat.

"Have a safe trip." Ryan set my bag inside the cab.

"I will," I kissed Jimmy between his ears and handed him to Ryan. "I'll be back before you know it."

"I'll meet you at the airport."

I shook my head, "No need, Ry. I'll be fine."

He rolled his eyes, smiling, "I still will." He leant down and kissed my lips, "Love you."

I rubbed my Chapstick off his lips, "Love you. I love you, too, little Jim." I pet Jimmy and then proceeded into the cab.

I waved to Ryan as the cab took off; I looked back, seeing him watch me. I frowned as the cab turned the corner and out of the sight of Ryan and Jimmy.


The plane ride was quick and painless. I was tired, though, from sitting and napping up right for an hour or so. When the plane landed, I was happy to get up and stretch.

I exited the plane, out into the airport, and saw a driver waiting for me. Again, a frown graced my lips as I walked up to him, "Hi, I'm Nikki Navarro."

The male driver tipped his hat, "I was sent by Mark Cruise."

"Yeah, I know. I'm sorry about this. They just assume I can't catch a cab by myself in this town."

"Mr. Cruise wasn't sure you'd head straight to the hotel."

"He got me a hotel?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Please, call me Nikki. What's your name?"

"Edward." He answered with a smile.

"Alright, Eddie. Is there a burger place open at midnight?"

"Yes Miss--" he stopped himself, "Yes, Nikki. Follow me."

I chuckled, pulling my bag up my arm. "For sure, Eddie."

Eddie led me to the black town car, and drove me into the city. He pulled up at a McDonalds, and waited while I ordered. I got him some food, as a wee tip from myself, and then he drove me to the hotel.

"Thanks, Eddie." I said as he helped me out.

"It's no problem, Nikki. I'll be here in the morning to drive you to the meeting."

"I can take a cab, you should play hooky."

He laughed softly, pulling his cap off, "I'll get fired."

"They fire you, I'll kick their ass. You've been extremely nice and patient with me."

He placed his hat back on, "It's my job."

"Just for a while, play hooky. I'll give you a call to drive me to the airport tomorrow."

He nodded, "If you say so."

"Again, thank you for this."

He gave a short nod, "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

I shook my head, "No, I'm good. Thanks."

Eddie and I parted ways, as I went into the hotel. I signed in, and went up to the third floor. I tossed my bag onto the floor and set my food on the bed and grabbed my phone.

I called Ryan, just to tell him I was here. I knew he wouldn't be asleep, if he would, I'd be surprised.

"Hey, you didn't die, did you?" He answered.

I scoffed, "Totally, I'm reaching you from behind the plane wreckage."

Ryan let out a small laugh, "Is it late there?"

"It's only 1... Not too late. I gotta get up at 9."

"Go to sleep then." He urged.

"I'm not tired. I got junk food and I miss you and Jimmy."

"We miss you, too. Jim won't stop meowing."

"I miss my baby." I plopped down on the couch.

"He says Happy Birthday."

I laughed softly, "Tell him I said thank you."

Ryan hummed softly. "Can't wait till you get back. I got a few surprises for you."

"Ry, I hate surprises."

"Too bad," he teased, "You're gonna love them."

"We'll see." I hummed back.

"We shall."


A few hours later, I was sitting in a conference room with the publishers and Molly. I rubbed my eyes, still sleepy; "Okay, speak. What's this about?"

"We wanted to talk to you about writing a screenplay." Mark -the head in all of this- said with his hands folded on the mahogany desk.

"For what?" I asked.

"Your book. Someone already wrote a tweaked version, but--"

"I don't do movies." I cut him off. "No, not ever. Nope."

"But it's a lot of money." The other -lets call him the shoulders- Percy, stammered.

"So what? I don't want my stuff made in to some terrible movie."

Mark and Percy looked at each other. I raised a brow, waiting for them. "We already agreed."

I looked at Molly, "You signed off on this? Without my consent?"

"Well..." Molly trailed with a small grimace.

"Well?" I spat out. "That's all you gotta say?"

"It's an amazing--"

"Too bad, I'm not approving this. If it's made without my consent, I will sue."

They all sighed. Mark rubbed his eyes, "Okay, fine. But, we wanted to talk about it some more."

"No. End of discussion."

"What about the new book?" Percy asked.

"What about it?"

"How far alone are you?"

"It isn't finished, but I'm getting there." I answered.

"When do you expect it to be finished?" Mark questioned next.

"A few months. I don't know exactly."

They all looked a bit disappointed. I was sure it was because I said no to the stupid movie.

"Can I go home now?" I asked like an unruly child.

Finally, all three smiled. Genuine, I can't believe this girl, smiles.

"Yeah." Mark gave a nod. "But, will you think about the movie?"

"No." I said as I stood, "I'm not into Hollywood, alright?"

Collective sighs filled the air as I stood and headed out the room. I heard Molly's black pumps follow after me to the elevator. I stopped, pressing the down button; "What?" I asked as I turned to face her.

"Are you upset with me?" She asked, tossing back her bleached-blonde hair from nervousness.

"Uh, not really. But when were you gonna tell me?"

Molly shrugged, "I dunno."

"Don't do that crap again," I told her as the elevator doors opened. "I don't want it made into some movie."

"Why not?"

She and I entered the elevator; she pressed the lobby button.

"Because, I don't want to get hacked to pieces about it. Besides, I want people to read. Shitty movies rot your brain," I spoke animatedly.

We both laughed, heading down.

"I'm sorry. I thought you'd go for it."

"You know me better."

The elevator doors opened and we headed out.

"So, are you going home now?"

"Yeah. I gotta call the driver."

"I'll see you, Nikki. Just... Think things over." Molly patted my back as she began to head towards the offices.

"I won't!" I called back to her.

She shook her head at me, still walking away. I laughed and exited the building, and grabbed my phone to call Eddie the Driver.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shitty filler; more of a hump chapter.
I don't expect comments on this one, because it was plain boring. But, the next chapter should be exciting :) I'm excited to write it and share it with you all (all 26 of you [: )

xo ali