Landfill

Dizzy

I cleaned up Ryan's face out of pity. I wanted to, mostly because I wasn't sure he could manage it himself. I kissed his lips, running my fingers along the bruise on the apple of his cheek. "Do you feel okay?"

He nodded, "I'm fine, babe."

I gave him some Tylenol, and then I made sure Jimmy had food and water. Ryan took my hand, leading me out the door, "Catch a cab?"

"Yeah... They live out in the suburbs." I told him.

We walked down the block, and then hailed a cab. I slipped inside, with Ryab beside me, and gave the driver directions. Ryan let me press my head against his arm, and watch the street lights as we drove.

We didn't talk as we got closer and closer to my parents home in Summerlin. It was this small community that was almost sleepy. No one made a noise, it was too quiet to live here. Even as a kid, it was quiet; I was the only kid on the block.

We climbed out from the cab, paying the driver, and went up the steps if the large porch. The sun was coming down, making the sky this bright pinks and orange floating up under the blue. I knocked on the door, tearing my eyes from the sky, waiting.

The door opened a few seconds later and my mom appeared. She smiled at me, but frowned when her eyes fell on Ryan. "What happened?"

"It's a long story." I said as she let us in. "Is dad home?"

My mom hummed softly, shutting the door behind us. Ryan was silent as I led the way into the living room, where my dad was sitting in his favorite recliner with his eyes glued to the large television screen. I saw that a football game was on.

"Emilio." My mom said my dad's name, causing him to look at he.

"Hey!" My dad grinned, "Hey, Nicole."

My dad stood, moving his hefty weight nimbly as he came over to us. His dark eyes moved around to me and then to Ryan, "You're Ryan?" My dad smiled, sticking his hand out.

Ryan nodded, smiling too, "Yeah. It's nice to meet you."

"Same here. Maddie told me all about you." My dad released Ryan's hand, "I wasn't sure Nicole would invite you over."

"We've been in our own world," Ryan answered nicely. "I didn't want to budge Nikki about meeting you, I kind of wanted to."

"Well, come sit. We'll talk, tell me about that shiner."

Ryan chuckled, while I stood motionless, surprised at how everything was going. Really, I wasn't sure how my dad and my mom would react to meeting Ryan. My mom already liked him, but I wasn't sure about my dad.

"So, what happened, kids?" My mom asked as we sat on the sofa.

Ryan looked at me and I at him. He cleared his throat, "Uh, well, I was robbed."

Both of my folks looked at him, necks nearly snapping. "What? Are you okay? Nikki, where were you?" The words flew from my mom's mouth.

"Mrs. Navarro, Nikki wasn't there... It happened inside the apartment, the police are handling it all." Ryan had such a way with words.

It amazed me.

"What was taken?" My mom questioned further.

I frowned as I thought about it. And then, I thought about the ring. He bought a ring for me. I didn't feel upset, I felt more excited and sad at the same time. Ryan licked over his lips; "Some money I had, and uh... A computer. That's it, nothing major."

"Do you know who did it?"

Ryan shook his head, "Some big dudes... I didn't really see who they were."

"Oh, that's really unfortunate," my mom continued, "But, everything is okay?"

"Just fine." I answered.

"Do you need anything?" My dad inquired, sitting up.

"No, I'm... We're fine." I said, smiling.

"You guys should stay the night," my mom suggested.

I shook my head, "No, that's okay, mom. You know what they say, there's no place safer than the bank after the robbery."

My dad chuckled, and my mom rolled her eyes, giving a laugh after. "At least let us drive you home after dinner."

"Deal."


We sat down for dinner a while later. The conversation was lively; with Ryan and my dad talking extensively. They shared an interest in music, and their interest in me.

I can't count how many times I tuned red from my dad sharing embarrassing stories about my high school days. Those were the only real moments my dad could share; he and my mom were always working when I was a kid. I didn't say much of anything, jus a few things here and there.

By the end of the night, with a few glasses of wine in me, I was feeling better. I wasn't so upset anymore, and my mood was alright. Ryan and my dad had gone off somewhere, and me and my mom were sharing a piece of chocolate cake.

"Ryan and your dad seemed to get on well." My mom smiled happily as she poked at the cake.

"Yep. Too well."

My mom giggled, "So, how has the writing been?"

"Okay. It's been just okay. They want to turn the Ripper thing into another thing."

Again, my mom laughed, "What kind of thing?"

"A movie."

"You said no?"

"Yeah, I said no. I don't like that shit."

"It's your thing, Nikki." My mom reasoned with another laugh.

We were both quiet for a while, picking at the cake. Finally, my dad and Ryan returned; they were both laughing and smiling. "Are you ready to go home?" Ryan asked me.

I nodded, swallowing a bit if cake, "Uh-huh."

"I'll drive you," my dad said.

I got up, hugging my mom swiftly, saying goodnight. Ryan had done the same, following my dad out of the house and into his SUV. Ryan sat up front, talking with my dad as I curled up in the back, feeling more than tipsy. My head swirled with all I had done in the past 24 hours. I was feeling exhausted.

By the time we got to the apartment, Ryan had to damn near carry me inside. I rested agains him, moving my feet in unison with his. The ride up the elevator was quick and had my head all fuzzy.

Inside, I heard Jimmy purring as we walked in. Ryan shut the door, while Jimmy led the way to my bedroom. We both began to strip out of our clothing and then climbed into my bed. Jimmy curled up onto my stomach, while Ryan laid down beside me, resting his head on my shoulder. "Your dad is pretty cool."

I hummed a small laugh, "You two like each other."

"Yeah."

"I'm glad."

Ryan placed his arm beneath me and around my waist, "I wish you could've met my dad."

I looked over at him, "Me, too."

"He probably thinks that I'm lucky, I got lucky."

I kissed his lip, placing my hand against his cheek, "It was a small matter of fate, Ry."

He smiled, his face half shown in the moonlight, "Yeah."

We were quiet, listening to the rumble of the city just outside. The sounds of Vegas always made me sleepy. I placed my hand on Ryan's hip, over the blanket, "I love you."

I kissed my forehead, "I love you, too."

As I began to drift off, I let all the madness rush away. It more of fell away as I began to fall asleep. I felt at ease, happy, despite all that happened.

I wasn't even upset about my computer. I was happy just to have Ryan and little, purring Jimmy.

•••

A few days after the robbery, we got no hits from anything. I had been lucky to have my back up modem, and had all of my old writings, but none of the new stuff. I bought another, older laptop and began using that.

Ryan had began to be gone more often and a lot later. I began to wonder where he was and what he was doing. He didn't appear to be any different when he came home.

We didn't talk about the robbery, or anything else, but it still didn't sit right with me when I thought too much. It was usually when I was alone, and when Elaine and Lisa asked about it. I did not say anything about my suspicions to them. I was sure I was being paranoid, and my friends would've said the same thing. I just wanted some resolution from the whole thing.

Ryan's face got better after a few days. His bruise lightened after a week, which surprised me. He looked like some warrior with it. I started to plan some weirdo, sci-fi fantasy about him in my head.

I missed him a lot when he was gone, though I never questioned it. I didn't want to, maybe I didn't want the truth. I just wanted him, I love him so much and I was all dizzy over it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if it's lame, possibly another hump chapter... But whatever. I'm slowly taking this where I want it :)
What do you guys think?