Landfill

Wondering

I began my journey home from Elaine's. I stopped by the corner store and bought a pack of cigarettes. I hadn't had any in a while; Ryan smoked too, but we rarely ever did. I had an itching to get some. I stopped, and then carried on home.

Along the way, I passed the record store that Ryan worked at. I knew he wasn't in, but I decided to go in and see how his boss was doing. I hadn't been in, in a while, I knew that Ryan's boss' son worked the register.

The son, Erick, smiled when he saw me, "Hey Nikki."

"Hey Erick."

"What can I do for you?"

I looked around, "Y'know, I never really buy CDs or records. How much for New Order or Joy Division?"

Erick looked around, "We're out of New Order, but we have a ton of JD b-sides. Want me to show you?"

"Yeah, thanks."

I followed Erick towards the right of the store. "How's your dad?" I asked him.

"He's good, he hasn't been here in awhile."

I tilted my head a bit, "I wouldn't expect him too. Ryan said he was in the hospital."

Erick paused, he looked at me confused, "My dad?"

"Yeah...?" I frowned, thinking, "Your dad was in the hospital, right? Or someone else?"

Erick's eyes widened, "Oh! Oh, yeah, it was my granddad. He's good."

I felt confused for a minute, "Oh, well, I figure your dad wouldn't be in anyway. How is your granddad?"

"He's okay. He's old, but he's a fighter." Erick stopped, kneeling over a large section of records. "You got a record player?"

"Ryan's got one." I told him.

"Do you know what kind?"

"It's a turntable." I told him, "It's new."

Erick nodded, "Oh yeah. Brendon bought one just like his. I sold it to Ryan a few years back."

"He said if I ever bought records, that I needed to remember that it was a turntable," I laughed, "I guess there's a difference?"

"Yeah, it's hard to explain, but there is." Erick went through the records, through the J section, "Here is the Transmission single... Uh, I got Closer."

"I like Closer," I told him, "How about the Beach Boys?"

"For Ryan?" He chuckled.

"Yep." I nodded.

"Just got Pet Sounds," Erick led the way down the isle to his left, descending the alphabet, "I was saving it for him."

"Is he gonna ask for it?"

Erick shook his head, "Doubt it."

"That's his Christmas gift, then."

Erick rang up the records and even gift wrapped the record for me. I took the bag from him, "Thanks Erick. I hope your granddad gets better."

Erick nodded, "Thanks, Nikki."

I waved as I exited, heading towards the apartment. As soon as I began to reach for a cigarette, what Erick had said and looked, and the tone of his voice, didn't settle with me. I thought about it, fishing my cardigan for a lighter, wondering if Ryan was lying to me.

Or, did he just lie?

And then I stopped, inhaling deeply, did he do something? Did he cheat in me it something? Are they covering for him?

"No." I mumbled, holding in the pungent smoke. I exhaled and continued on home.

I frowned, trying to filter it away. I was acting paranoid.

I unlocked the door and went in, down towards the elevators. I looked around, seeing the newly installed video cameras. I laughed to myself, waving at it, knowing that the manager was probably watching. Saul had become distressed after I was robbed; he put the cameras in; it was the first robbery in more than 10 years. Saul is a cool older guy; he had a family and was anal about protection, so when he heard he immediately bought the cameras.

The large, white security camera moved back and forth. I assumed that was a wave from Saul, and smiled. The elevator doors opened and I entered, pressing my floor number.

I inhaled the last of my cigarette, looking down. Something shiny in the corner of the elevator caught my eye. I saw what could've been a very big rhinestone. I dropped my cigarette butt and snubbed it out with the tip of my flat and went to the shiny item. I noticed it was a ring, my eyes widened as I picked it up, "Wow." I said to myself.

I looked it over, the elevator doors opened; I kicked my smashed butt down the opening of the doors and exited. The ring shined, fluttering and dancing in the hall way lighting. My eyes stayed on it, I looked around briefly and slipped it on my middle finger on my right hand; it fit snug, so I tried it on my ring finger. It fit perfectly, so I tried it on my left hand; another perfect fit. "Wow." I mumbled again.

I wondered if this was the ring Ryan had gotten me. My throat grew tight at the thought; it never fully hit me that he had gotten me a ring. What did this ring mean, anyway?

I stopped at my front door, pulling my keys out and unlocked the door. My eyes detached from the ring as I opened the door, and entered; I could hear Jimmy. "Jimmy," I cooed his name, "Mama's home."

Jimmy purred, making his way to me and rubbing his body against my legs. I knelt down and scratched his head, he purred, stalking away. I put the records on the counter as I went to the kitchen, seeing I had some messages. I pressed the play on the recorder, hearing the voice over. "3 New Messages..."

I leaned against the counter, "Hey, Nick, it's me," Ryan's voice came out clear, "I'm gonna be home late, sorry. Not too late, I'm just helping Spencer now. Don't worry. Love you."

I frowned slightly, wondering again. I played the next one; "Hello, Ms. Navarro, this is Officer Bridges with the Summerlin Police Department, I've called to inform you about your laptop computer. We've located it, and wanted to make sure that this is your property. Give us a call back."

I felt a lot of relief come over me. I grinned and cheered, "Thank God!" I said to myself.

I pushed the forward button to play the last message. I leaned on the counter once more; "Hey, Nikki, it's me, Lisa," she sounded stranger, her voice coming out in an upwards one as if she was questioning herself, "Uh, I was wondering if Ryan was with you... I think I see him, but I could be wrong. I think I'm seeing stuff," she laughed, "Sorry, I just... Wow, this guy looks like him, but he's wearing this baseball hat... I don't see you, and I know your cell is off... Call me back."

I raised a brow and scratched my eye brow. I grabbed my phone, calling Lisa. She took a minute to answer, "Hey!"

"Hey, where did you see my dopplerganger boyfriend?"

Lisa giggled, "Next to this bar. Don't worry, it wasn't him, it was this weirdo drug dealer."

"And how do you know that?"

"That scumbag Gus bought something from him."

"Oh," I laughed too, "Anyway, Ryan's with his friends, wrapping gifts."

"I had to call you, though. It looked just like him," she laughed again, "It was freaky. So, where were you?"

"I was with Elaine."

"I figured, or you were in the zone, writing. How is it going by the way? I hear through the grape vine that someone wants to turn your Ripper book into a movie."

I groaned softly as I walked towards my bedroom, cordless resting between my shoulder, ear and cheek, "Yeah, last month they had a meeting to ask me and I refused."

"Why? Smells like big bucks."

"No," I kicked my flats off, "I don't want to write a screen play or read one. I like my book."

"Yeah, me too!" She began excitedly, "And I'd love it visually, with real people. All the blood and guts, Nikki!"

I laughed, "You would?"

"Yeah, and I'm being completely honest. You know, I've read that damn thing a billion times."

I hummed to myself, "I never thought about it that way."

"It's a freaking best seller!" She exclaimed, "How could you not think people would wanna see a movie of it? AND," she added dramatically, "Did you or did you not win an award for it?"

"Two." I mumbled sheepishly.

"See!" She giggled again, "Just think about it, y'know. You don't have to, but I'm sayin', Nick, it sounds like a pretty awesome idea. Plus, you get creative control."

I smiled to myself, "Yeah... I'll think about it." I heard the front open and shut quickly, I turned in my spot, "Oh, hey, Lis, I'll call you later."

She hummed knowingly, "Lover boy's home."

"Yep. I'll see ya."

"Bye, Nikki."

I hung up the phone and began out the room, "Ry?"

I saw him pulling his sweatshirt off, "Yeah."

I walked over, placing the phone on the counter along the way, "Hey, guess what."

He tossed his sweatshirt onto his bed, "What?"

"The police called and said they may've found my laptop."

Ryan held no expression, confusing me. He shook his head after a second of silence. "Oh, shit, really?"

"Yeah, I just need to call them. And," I stepped closer to him, "I bought you a Christmas gift."

He smiled now, "Did you?"

"Yep," I wrapped my arms around his middle, "It's a record, but I won't tell you which," I teased. "I saw Erick, too."

He looked down at me, "How's his dad?"

"It's his granddad, actually," I let him go, "He's fine."

Ryan gave a small nod, "That's good."

"How was the wrapping? Did you get any paper cuts?"

He held his hands up, "Nope."

I kissed his cheek, "Are you cooking tonight, or should we order in?"

"Order in," he said as he began to unbutton his jeans, "I'm too starved to cook."

"Alright. You order and I'll call the police back."

He nodded, pulling his jeans off, "For sure."

I left his room, heading to the kitchen again. I hopped onto the counter and dialed the police department. "Summerlin Police Department." A woman answered.

"Hello, this is Nikki Navarro, I'm calling to speak to Officer Bridges, regarding stolen property."

"One second."

I waited a few seconds before he picked up, "Ms. Navarro, how are you?"

"I'm fine. You called about my laptop."

"Yes," he began just as Ryan came into the kitchen. "We would need you to come down and identify your property as soon as you can."

Ryan stood in front of me, between my legs; "What time could I come in tomorrow?"

"Morning is alright." He answered.

"Okay, I'll be there at like 9 or 10."

"Sure thing, just ask for me."

"Will do."

I hung up with the officer and paid attention to Ryan. His hand brushed my left arm, down to my hand. That's when I saw and remembered the ring. I lifted my hand, "Is this what you were missing?" I asked him.

His brows shot up and he smiled, "Yeah!" He let out a small, disbelieved laugh. "Where'd you get this?"

"I found it in the elevator." I told him.

He looked relieved, "Holy shit, for an entire month?"

"I guess," I shrugged, beginning to take it off, "It was shining in the corner of my eye."

Ryan stopped my hands, "Don't take it off."

"Why not?" I asked dumbly.

"Because it's for you," he told me, pushing it back down my finger. "I got it for your birthday."

I smiled back at him, kissing his lips quickly, "Thank you, but I must ask why?"

He licked his lips, looking down at my lap, "It's kinda... Well, you should know."

"I don't." I said.

He sighed, "You gonna make this hard for me, aren't you, sweetheart?"

"I have no idea what it is you're talking about." I played innocent; I knew what he was thinking, but I was unsure if it was true.

He exhaled deeply, taking my left hand, "Nick, c'mon..." He whined softly.

"I have no idea what you want me to c'mon about."

He laughed softly, "Okay... Will, uh, you, y'know... Marry me?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Longest chapter ever.