Landfill

Beating

My mom met me at a different cafe the following morning. She and I, along with my father, weren't as close as I had always wanted us to be. They worked, and worked, while I was mostly home alone doing what I do best; writing.

My mom, Madeline, she approves of me writing. What she doesn't like is the fact I use profanity in the dramas I write. Even so, she hasn't read any of the 3 books I've written; not even the best seller. It doesn't bother me, because to be honest, most of them are about my parents; subtly renamed and over dramatized to my satisfaction. I don't believe my dad has read any; I could be wrong.

My mom sat across from me with a coffee cup in one hand and the other on her bagel. She just got her hair dyed; I can see a dried stain of black on her earlobe, where her hair is tucked back. My mom isn't a natural brunette; she's a blonde, like me, but I guess wanting to look different is what she's good at. Her soft, slightly wrinkled skin is extremely pale; I'd compare her to Morticia Addams.

I see her brown eyes scan the table; the conversation died a minute or so ago. I decided to spice things up; "Mom, did I tell you I have a stalker?"

She nearly spits out her hot coffee, and I finger the crumbs of my donut on the napkin. Our matching -truly identical- eyes meet and hers are dilated to alarm.

"What? Has he hurt you?" She asked with panic edge to her voice.

I smiled, "He's not really a stalker. He's just some kid that's seen me around."

Her eyes return to normal; dull. "Jesus H. Christ, Nicole, you scared me!"

"Our conversation was already 6 feet under, mom. I had to resurrect it."

She exhaled, her pearl necklace moved around her exposed collar bones, "Thats no way to start a conversation. How old is this boy?"

She darts from one thing to another. All in the same sentence and category.

"He's 23; I think he's lonely," I grabbed my hot chocolate and sip some before returning, "He climbed up my balcony, proclaiming to be my best friend like he's fuckin' Romero or something."

My mom raised a brow, "Thats not a boy, Nicole."

"He doesn't look much like a man." I countered, "Besides, I doubt I'll see him again."

"Maybe you should get protection." Her hands cradled her cup now.

I decided to continue to joke with her, "I'm already on birth control, mom."

Her eyes widened again, "Nicole!"

I had to laugh at her slacked jaw, "I'm kidding around, it was a joke."

She frowned; her laugh lines visible and deep, "Thats not funny."

"If you were me you'd see the humor in your facial expressions."

My mom smiled slightly, "I'm glad you're happy. How's the writing coming along?"

I exhaled, my eyes darting over to a portrait of some roses; "Not so well," I mumbled, returning my gaze to my cup, "I've got writer's block. It's more like a 100 nights of nothing interesting."

"Maybe you should go on a vacation?" My mom asked, sipping from her cup.

I shrugged, "I could use a vay-cay."

She giggled, "I'll give you the number to my travel agent."

"Thanks."


I walked down the village of tattoo shops, bars and liquor stores to clear my head. I stepped into the liquor store first to get a pack of cigarettes and then continued my journey to nowhere. My head was empty and all I wanted was for it to fill of luxurious things to type/write down.

My cell began to ring as I stopped near a cross light. I answered, seeing the name of my friend, Elaine's name and number pop up. "What's up?"

"Hey, I see you." She giggled happily.

"Where are you?" I didn't bother to glance around.

"Outside this shitty little bar called Glow Worm."

Elaine was to my left, I had just passed the Glow Worm, "Buy me a drink?" I grumbled.

"Sure thing, come on."

I hung up the phone, stuffing it into my bag and turned towards my left. Elaine waved me over as I continued my steps. I got near her, but was railroaded when two bodies came tumbling out of the seedy little bar beside it.

I jumped back, seeing two male bodies tangle with another, until the bigger of the two got atop the smaller one. The bigger male rocked his fist against the smaller male's face until I used my boot to kick him in the ribs. The bigger male rolled off, groaning; "You bitch!"

I ignored him and knelt beside the smaller man crumbled and bloodied on the concrete. I wiped the excess blood spilling from his nose straight towards his eyes. My brows knit as I saw a familiar face, "Ryan?"

Ryan; yes, the twig like man-boy that stalked me was bloody and beaten. He opened his eyes slowly, groaning, "Fuck me."

I stood easily, taking his limp arm with me, "Come on, Ryan, you're hurt."

"Where's that asshole?" He asked in a hard, raspy voice.

It was more than obvious he was drunk.

"I think he went back into the bar." I laughed softly.

"Nikki, what're you doing?" Elaine's voice floated in my ears as she stepped over.

"I know this guy," I told her as Ryan used my body to balance, "I'm gonna take him home. We'll get drinks another time."

Elaine nodded; her curly pink hair bounced, "Yeah, just call me."

I nodded, "Sorry about this."

She waved it off and smiled, "No worries; you owe me a story." Her peach lips perked out to smirk at me.

I rolled my eyes slightly, "Uh-huh, whatever you say."

I waved farewell to Elaine and began to walk Ryan towards the corner to hail a cab. His lanky body nearly folded over my shoulder, "Thanks for saving me." He slurred.

"I didn't know it was you, y'know. You see a man getting his face beaten in, you help."

He laughed against the side of my neck, "I owe you my life."

"Uh-huh." I mumbled as I waved my hand out for a cab.

A cab rolled up a second later and I managed to open the backseat door. I slipped Ryan in and climbed in beside him.

"Where to?" the driver asked.

Ryan seemed to pass out, so I shook him, "Ryan, where do you live?"

He lolled his head back, "I... Can't... Remember." His voice came out slow and slurred still.

I shook my head, "I live on Bennett street, near Fremont," I told the driver, "Drop us off there."

"Sure thing."

I looked at Ryan slumped against the seat and mentally gave him a beating of my own. I'd have to take care of this guy. Just what I needed for the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you all for reading :) I hope you enjoy this one