Landfill

Pleads

My stomach tightened. "Shane?"

The voice on the other end chuckled, "You don't know me, but I know you."

My heart excelled, "Who are you?"

"I just told you." His voice was deep as he laughed yet again.

"What do you want?" I questioned angrily.

"You and I," the voice, 'Shane', exhaled, "We have one thing in common... Two if you count the fact that we know about our little drug trafficking situation."

My heart sank; this was Ryan's Shane.

"What's the first?" I looked around, wondering if he could see me.

"Our friend, Ryan." He was quiet, I'm sure he could hear the sound of my heart thumping against my chest. "He's told me a fat lot about you. Told me how beautiful you are, and how understanding. But, you know what he didn't tell me, Nikki?"

My name sounded as if it was dipped in acid, sunk in slippery grease and fell from his putrid mouth.

"What, Shane?" I coiled back, ready to shoot obscenities through the phone.

"He didn't tell me how he'd plan to just run away with my money. And don't play dumb, girl. You know where he is and I want my money and my dope back."

My jaw slacked, "I-I have no idea--"

"Don't lie to me, Nikki. I know all--"

"If you did," I spat back, "You wouldn't be calling and threatening me, now would you?"

"Don't get smart, bitch," he snarled on the other end. "I know where you live, I know where your parents live - I can ruin your life, you little cunt, so don't get smart again. Got it?"

That shut me up quick. I inhaled deeply; "What do you want from me? I don't know where Ryan is."

"You're a liar."

"I swear! I kicked his ass outta my apartment three weeks ago!"

"I don't believe you. He could be there for all I know." He spoke innocently, as if he was making an assumption. "I don't care where he is, only where my goddamn money and dope is. Understandin' me, Nikki?"

I swallowed thickly, "I don't have it--"

"Never said you did," he said nonchalantly. "Now, there's a few ways we can do this, Nikki, you listenin'?"

"Yeah." I mumbled and sat on the arm of my couch.

"You either get Ryan to give me my 25K and 5 kilos--"

I interrupted, "Holy shit. 10 pounds of what?"

"Don't interrupt me, Nikki."

"Sorry." I blubbered. "Go on."

"You tell Ryan to give me it all back by the end of the day and I won't kill him. Or, he gives me 100 thousand and I won't kill him. Or I'll hunt him down and kill him... And you."

"Me?!" I exclaimed, "Why me? I didn't--"

"Those are my ultimatum." He stated flatly.

"Does he know where to meet you?"

"Yep. Tell him I look forward to seeing his face... Bloody."

The phone clicked and a dial tone was heard. I looked at my phone and felt dread. The dread hit me like a ton of bricks; I pressed the phone to my head, a wave of nausea crashed over me.

I set it down and paced, one hand on my hip while the other rubbed my jaw. I wasn't sure what to do, I knew I'd have to call Ryan; our lives hung in the balance.

I grabbed my cell and called his number. The phone rang and rang until his voicemail picked up. I growled after the beep; "Ryan, please pick up the damn phone. Call me back, you fuckin' idiot."

I hung up and paced again. I knew I'd probably have to do this myself. I had more than enough to pay Shane off, but I didn't know where to meet him, but I didn't where to. My stomach twisted in terrible knots, I had to hold back sickness. This was almost too much.


My return to Summerlin didn't ease the waves in my belly. I twisted the sleeves of my sweatshirt, looking around me at every turn. I vaguely remembered Brendon's address, and had gotten a cab there.

When the cab pulled up, I climbed out, paid the driver and hurried up the entry of the apartment block. I remembered his apartment number and went up to the door, knocking hard; "Brendon?"

"Hold on, hold on!" I heard Brendon say over my knocking. "Jesus Christ!" He opened the door, squinting, "Nikki?"

"Where's Ryan?"

Brendon leaned out the door, looked around and then at me, "Why?"

"Because, your buddy Shane is threatening me!"

Brendon hushed me and pulled me into the apartment. He slid behind me and shut the door, "Shane called you?"

"Yes!" I hissed at him, "What the fuck did Ryan do?"

Brendon rubbed his jaw, and then ran his hand down his face, "He's out west. That's all he told me, said he'd be back on Sunday."

It was only Friday.

"Shane's gonna kill me and him if he doesn't get his money and stuff back." I spoke shakily; the realization hitting me again. I felt dizzy and stumbled.

Brendon grabbed me, helping me stand, "Are you alright?"

"I'm sick to death, Brendon! Ryan needs to return that stuff--"

"Nikki, sit down, okay? Just take a few breaths and calm down, you look like hell."

I did as he said, sitting at the small table near an open window. Despite the cold weather, I was feeling hot, I would vomit at any given moment. Brendon hurried off to the tiny kitchen and returned with a glass of water, handing it off to me.

I took a sip, Brendon sat across from me, and I set the glass down; "Ryan needs to get back here ASAP."

"He's turned his phone off." Brendon said.

I shut my eyes, rubbing my temples now, "Shane's gonna..." I trailed, thinking and opening my eyes. "I need his address, Brendon."

"Whose?" He asked incredulously. "Not Shane's."

"Yes, Shane's." I snapped. "I'll pay him off myself. I don't want to fuckin' die."

Brendon looked unsure, skeptical, "I don't know, Nikki..."

"Brendon, please." I begged. "I won't tell Ryan, alright? Just do this for me... Please."

Brendon sucked in his bottom lip and then shut his eyes. He tilted his head back and groaned, "Ryan'll kill me."

"If you don't do this for me, Shane'll kill me."

Brendon exhaled, "Okay... Okay. But, I'm coming with you."
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think'll happen?