Landfill

Splinter

I was bound to the chair beside Ryan, our clasped hands ripped from one another. The only thing Shane didn't do was tape my mouth shut. To this, I asked and he answered; "I want to hear you scream."

It didn't sink in. Honestly, I didn't fully comprehend that Shane was going to hurt me. I was only angry that my wrist were tired down, and that his little helpers tied my ankles real tight to the chair legs. I was pissed at Ryan; even with his mouth taped shut he found a way to hurt and disappoint me. Brendon was told to stay put, though, he looked extremely distraught; I swore he was gonna cry.

After I was bound, Shane took Brendon and went off, out of sight. The bright lights were too bright to see any far off than where I had been standing with him. The entire room was quiet, except for the workers and Ryan's heavy breathing. The henchman was still to my left, the gun tucked into the front of his jeans. I wondered, after a few quiet minutes, if that'd be the gun to ultimately end my life.

I looked to him, "What's your name?"

His brow shot up, "What?"

"I would like to know your name?"

"Why?"

"Because I'd like to know my killer's name. It'll give me some peace before the final moments...maybe you used to be a decent human being."

He glared at me, "Freddy."

I frowned slightly, "You don't look like a Freddy."

"What do I look like then, snowflake?"

"Not a Freddy."

Freddy kicked my chair, causing me to yelp. He snickered and told me to shut up. I did; I should've given him hell, I figured I was headed toward an execution anyway. But, I didn't, I just shut up and waited.

During all that waiting, everything dawned on me; I wouldn't see my mom and dad again; Lisa or Elise. I wouldn't pet Jimmy, write another stupid book or retire somewhere exotic. My parents would bury me; my mom would probably over do it on the makeup and put something sparkly on me. I never put together a proper will. I wouldn't have the privilege of deciding, fully, that I wanted children.

I began to cry. These big, fat crocodile tears that ran down my face, under my chin and down my shirt. I sobbed like I hadn't ever sobbed before and cried out loudly. Before I knew it, I was having a fit like no one has ever seen, not even from a child. It was as if I were a child and someone has taken my favorite toy from me.

I could hear Freddy yelling at me to stop, hurling insults at me, but I kept on. I couldn't stop myself, even if I wanted to -I didn't want to. I wanted to cry, to make them miserable, to let myself wallow and cry like I hadn't done since I was a baby.

But, suddenly, I was smacked out of my fit of tears. Freddy was mere inches from me, he had smacked me across the face with an open palm. I whimpered, "Ow!"

"I said shut the fuck up!" He growled.

I sniffed and blinked away vacant tears, "Fuck you." I muttered sourly. "I'm the one who has to die, not you!"

For that I earned another smack and it clapped loudly. The entire room had been silent beforehand, and I quickly surveyed the room; all the working men had gone; it was just the 3 of us. I sucked in a breath, feeling sick and tired; "Fuck off." I growled at him.

Freddy sighed angrily and began to leave. I heard a heavy door open and then shut hard and loud. Ryan brought his head around to me, looking at me nudging his head towards the right. "I don't understand." I said to him. He began to scrap his chair around and motioned his head toward me.

"You want me to scoot towards you?" I asked.

He nodded and I did as he said, bouncing the chair toward him. I was surprised to be offered me a piece of splintered wood; I looked to see where he had broken it off from, but couldn't. He offered it aggressively, and I took it.

I slipped the piece of splintered wood down my palm and began to saw at the tape. The tape grudgingly began to give, causing tears to spring into my eyes. I grunted and sawed harder until the tape gave and I was free. I began to lift my hand just as the door opened; I froze, as did Ryan; I quickly put my hand back over the arm, watching. Freddy was back, he didn't seem to notice my sudden movement or the tape. "Shane'll be the one to hurt you, princess, not me." He continued on past us and out another door.

I couldn't believe our luck.

"Holy shit." I muttered.

Ryan shook his head, I kept still, knowing that his head gesture meant something.

It wasn't a minute before Shane reemerged without Brendon. I suddenly worried about his safety. But, I didn't have time to think intently about him; Shane was in front of me and leaned in close to my face; "You know, you're such a pretty girl, Nikki."

I held my breath, waiting. I didn't have an intelligent response, other than thank you. He laughed loudly in my face, spit flying, causing me to squeeze my eyes shut. He kept on until he was through, and I hadn't moved. He grabbed my jaw fiercely, making me stare up at him again; "I'm not really sorry about this...not leaving a pretty corpse and all."

From out of nowhere, his other hand flew up and revealed a switchblade. My eyes shot open, the blade came down over the apple of my left cheek, causing me to scream, my arm yanked up as my skin tore and bled. I shoved my hand in his face, startling him from me, he nearly fell backward. The splintered piece of wood made a "plink" noise as it hit the ground, I began to rip at the tape on my other arm. Shane had regained his balance and snarled at me, rushing toward me, and holding the knife against my neck.

I stopped moving and our eyes met. His chest rose and fell fast, his jaw set, teeth bared; "You think you're gonna get out of here?"

I could see the blood running down my cheek and I just shook my head. With the pointed tip at my neck, I knew I was fucked.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am terrible at building tension