Landfill

Read

Ryan and myself sat in the car still, silent. Together, it felt like we were strangers again, having run out of things to say. The awkward meeting of two people who had no common interest, other than they are in the same car. We had a past, but it seemed nonexistent; it was so weird. I wish I had something to say, to make it like it was; minus the fact we used to be engaged.

"Where do you live now?" I asked him.

"I was staying in Texas, but I traveled a lot. The police wanted me to stay put, but I couldn't," he relayed, "When I could travel, I tried to see you."

"Have you had a girlfriend?"

He shook his head, "No. I haven't been interested in anyone. I've never really talked to any woman besides my mom."

"If you had found someone, I'd be very happy for you. I'd want you to be with someone."

"It was torture watching you move on, ya'know, but I expected it...I didn't want it to happen, but I knew that you were too special to be single forever."

I shook my head, "I thought I would be...but then Shane came along and the rest is history."

"Are you guys gonna get married?"

I shrugged, "He hasn't proposed."

"Do you want him to?"

I smiled, shrugging again, "I don't know...I do, I want him to, but not unless he wants to. I'm happy with the way things are."

"Do you still have my ring?"

I looked down, feeling guilt; "It's in my bedroom at my parents'."

"I'm glad you kept it."

"You can have it back if you want." I told him quickly.

"No, it's fine. I want you to have it, you can do whatever you want with it."

I blinked and then sighed, "Ryan, I'm sorry about this."

"You don't have to be sorry," he licked over his lips, "I'm happy you're happy, like I said. You're healthy, you're so damn successful," he smiled at me, "I'm proud of you, Nikki, you got farther than I could ever imagine. Actually, I knew you'd get far, I just didn't know how far."

"Thank you."

He gave a small nod.

"So, do you want to meet him? I...I don't know how it'd go, but I want you to meet him."

"I don't mind if you don't."

I chuckled, thinking how Shane would react. He would laugh and then make some joke about it all. "Shane will get a laugh outta this."

"He won't be pissed off?" Ryan inquired.

"Doubt it. He's very laid back, almost too chill about things."

"Fine with me."

Actually, I got a little nervous about bringing Ryan to my parents' home to Shane. I knew that it would be okay, but internally, I wondered if Shane would feel some jealousy or hurt. I wasn't doing this to hurt him, I was doing it to let him know that I was over Ryan, and that I wanted him to know it wholeheartedly.

So, I started the car and began to travel to my parents'. Ryan had fiddled with the radio, not speaking. I didn't have anything to say, I wasn't sure as to what to say anyway. The drive felt long, but the music helped pass the time; the two of us sang along to the Beach Boys.

I pulled up, and turned the car off; knots suddenly formed in my stomach. Ryan and I got out the car at the same time, slowly making our way up the pathway to the door. I wondered what would be waiting for me on the other side of the door and it made me nervous.

I looked at Ryan, "Ready?"

"Are you? You look kinda freaked."

I exhaled, "I am."

"Don't be. If it all goes to hell I can leave."

I didn't respond, I instead opened the door and led the way in. I listened for anyone, and heard two voices in the living room. Once more I looked back at Ryan and gestured my hand, "Follow me."

I led Ryan to the living room, where the voices got clearer; Shane and my dad. I held my breath for a moment; I exhaled softly as the chatting stop and I met eyes with Shane. He smiled, but just as quick as it appeared, it fell; I knew he had seen Ryan.

My dad and Shane both stood simultaneously. Shane came over, looking over my shoulder; "Shane, this is Ryan," I said quickly; I shifted to look at them both. "Ryan, this is Shane."

Ryan cleared his throat, "Hi."

Shane looked at me and then back at Ryan, "Hey."

"Nikki told me a little about you. You don't have to worry about me, man, I'm happy that she found you." Ryan smiled forcibly, "Uh, I'm glad you're taking care of her, I couldn't ask for anything better."

Shane nodded slowly, "I love her."

The tension was thick, despite the soft words that were exchanged. My dad had come over and looked at Ryan; "Hey, son."

"Hello, Mr. Navarro."

My dad stuffed his hands into his pockets, "This is weird."

"Yeah. I'm sorry about all of this, it's a long story; I should start."

My dad pulled his hand out and up, "No, it's fine, no need to give me any explanation. It's good to know that you're alive and well."

Ryan rocked on his heels, "I guess so."

"Do you plan to stay for dinner?"

Ryan shook his head, "No, I can't. I've got to get back to my hotel, I have a flight leaving back to Texas. I really wanted to see Nikki."

I smiled softly, "Do you want me to take you to your hotel?"

Ryan put his hand up and refused, "No, no, it's nearby, I can walk."

"Are you sure?"

He hummed, "I'm sure. I'd like to give you my number, keep in touch, sound good?"

I nodded, "Of course."

Ryan asked for my cell phone and I handed it over, watching him set his number in it and then giving it back. I felt this feeling inside of me warm; it was like I felt complete again. I had smiled, "I'll call you and you can save my number."

Ryan agreed, "Yeah. I should get going. It was nice finally explaining everything, Nick."

My breathing caught for a second, "Thank you for letting me know."

He lent out his hand for me to shake, but I went in for a hug. He chuckled and returned the hug and then we parted. I patted his shoulder, and then he looked at Shane, "It was cool meeting you, Shane."

Shane stuck his hand out and they shook each other's hands, "Yeah, same here."

Ryan waved to his hand up to my dad, "Tell your wife I said hello, Mr. Navarro."

"Will do, Ryan."

With one last look at me, he smiled before he started out of the living room and out of the door. I had listened to each step he took until the door opened and then closed. I let go of a breath I had no knowledge I was holding and then looked at Shane and my dad.

"Wow." My dad muttered. "Wow, wow, wow...talk about seeing a ghost."

I laughed softly as my dad went and started for the kitchen. My attention turned to Shane, trying I read the blank expression on his face. "Shane, what are you thinking?"

He tweaked his lips, "He's not what I expected."

"How so?"

"I don't know...just didn't imagine him bein' that skinny."

I laughed and then wrapped my arms around him. He did the same to me and kissed my lips softly; "You aren't upset?"

He shook his head, "No way. Should I be?"

I shook my head, "Nope, I'm just wondering because I cannot read your face."

He smiled slyly, "Hmm...can you tell what I'm thinking now?"

I smiled back at him and shook my head, "No. What?"

"Do you think I'm cuter than him?"

I giggled, "Yes, I think so."

He kissed me again, "Ah, I love you, Nick."

"I love you, Shane."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so close to the end and I'm kinda sad about it...