Landfill

Room

"Where's this Tin Man, Spider-Man, Man Boy you've been bragging to Elaine about?" Lisa -another one of my friends- asked as her face was buried deep into my empty fridge.

"Dunno." I mumbled, stuffing my face with Cap'n Crunch cereal.

"What does he look like?" Lisa emerge from the fridge, holding a pickle.

I pointed to the pickle, "I wouldn't eat those; they're older than this apartment."

Lisa grimaced, her petite, model like feature scrunched, "Nicole!"

"They own a space in that fridge, I cannot just kick them out."

Lisa rolled her eyes, tossing the pickle in the trash, "You're such a weirdo, Nikki."

I shrugged off her response, "Isn't everyone?"

"You're especially weird." She sat across from me, "Anyway, tell me about the Tin Man. What's his name?"

"Ryan." I told her with my mouthful.

"How'd you meet him?"

"He's stalking me," I swallowed my food, "Well, he was."

"Whaaaattt?" She stretch the word out like a dramatic teenage girl.

"Not really, I can't explain it. He followed me around, he likes me." I took another spoonful of cereal to my mouth.

"Do you like him?"

I have another shrug, chewing and then swallowing; "He's alright. He stimulates me."

Lisa's brows moved up and down suggestively, "Stimulates you?"

"Not like that," I blushed, "He's pretty cool to hang out with. He's a nice guy."

"Are you dating him?"

My eyes widened, "No!"

She giggled, "No need to be alarmed, Nikki, I was only asking."

I ran a hand through my hair, and then pushed my bowl away, "I feel bad for him, you know? His father is dead and he's kind of broke... He never told me about his mom. He doesn't even have a stable place to live."

Lisa's lips turned down a bit, "You got the spare bedroom down the hall, why not move him in?"

I shook my head quickly, "What? No way. I haven't lived with another person since..." I trailed, falling short of a real memory.

"Two years ago when I lived you," Lisa finished, "So, why not? You should help him; maybe he'll rattle that writer's block lose."

"I doubt he'll want to live with me," I spoke blindly, knowing the truth: Ryan would want to live here; "Besides, I'm not a very good roommate."

She scoffed, "Yeah, I know. You're too messy."

Before I could make a remark of my own, there was a knock on my patio glass door. Lisa and I both looked over; there he was, speaking of the devil. Lisa smirked at me, rushing to open the patio door. I held my breath a moment as Ryan walked in, smiling nicely at Lisa; "Hey... I'm Ryan." He greeted her.

Lisa hummed, "Yeah, I've heard all about you, Mr. Tin Man. I'm Lisa Kane, Nikki's friend."

He chuckled as they shook hands, leaving me feeling slightly shy, "I'm a new friend." He told her.

They both came back into the kitchen; "I see. Nikki is very shy and reserved when it comes to making friends."

I rolled my eyes, "Don't you have somewhere to go, Lisa? Like, to hell?"

She laughed, "Ha, ha, Nikki."

Ryan hopped onto my counter, "So, what's going on ladies?"

Lisa rubbed her hands, "We were just talking about roommates--"

I cut her off, "Lisa, don't--"

"AND," she spoke over me, "Nikki here has a room completely empty. She told me that you were rooming with a friend and it's barely a home for you."

Ryan's face was completely blank, though his brow raise a bit; "Oh, really?"

"Yes," she continued, "Would you consider moving in with our dear friend here? I worry about her sometimes."

I groaned, embarrassed, and crossed my arms on the table and buried my head in the empty spot. I heard Ryan chuckle, "It seems as if our friend doesn't want me here."

My was shot up, "It's not that," I muttered quickly, and calmed myself as they both looked at me with smiles, "I believe you'd get annoyed with me, because you barely know me."

Ryan continued to look at me, his smile still placed, "So, you wouldn't mind me living here... With you?"

I answered too quickly; "Not at all."

"Are you sure, Nikki?" He looked at me with those boyish, childlike eyes.

I nodded slowly, "Yes."

Lisa clasped her hands together, "Great! I've got to go now, I have a doctor's appointment. Have fun." She waved her pink, manicured fingers at me and proceeded to leave.

Ryan exhaled, "Show me the room, sweet Nikki," he hopped off the counter, out stretching his arm.

I got up, ignoring his hand, "Follow me."

He laughed softly, "Alright, ignore my hand. Now, tell me why you call me Tin Man to your other friends?"

I led the way down the opposite way of my bedroom, "Because you look like the Tin Man."

"Do I really?" He asked himself.

"Yes." I stopped at the door and then turned the knob, pushing the door open, "Uh, it smells stale in here. Lisa used to room in here."

Ryan looked around; the bare room only had an old dresser of mine and curtains on the one window. He stepped in, looking the small space around; "This'll work great. I can get my old stuff out of my dad's storage. How much is rent?" He asked when he turned to face me.

"Uh, the rent isn't an issue, really--"

He cut me off, placing his hand up to stop me, "I still should pay you something. Brendon makes me pay him, so--"

It was my turn to cut him short, "Buy groceries. That's it. I'm terrible at that stuff, so that's all I would need you to do."

Ryan smiled, "I can do groceries."

I exhaled contently, "Then you're officially moved in."
♠ ♠ ♠
Things are moving fast and I'm really happy how easy these chapters are coming together. I wish I had time to add the users commenting, but my phone is acting shitty right now. Any who, thank you all for reading and commenting; you're amazingly sweet, kind and overall awesome!

xo alison